Three Barely Legal Ryes

hawkeye62
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been experimenting with barely legal ryes. I managed to get three here in Utah, Pikesville 110, Rittenhouse 100 and Baby Saz. These are all classed as Limited and Allocated by the Utah DABC. They are never on the shelves, you have to ask one of the stock clerks and you can only buy one bottle at a time. Anyway, I have sampled all three. As I have said before, I have a poor taster. My impression is that the Pikesville comes in on top. Good flavor, some spice and good mouth feel. Rittenhouse comes in a close second. Baby saz comes in third. The Saz has a nice flavor but it feels thin in the mouth. I wouldn't turn down a pour of any of the three, but the Pikesville is at the top of my list.

Regards, Jim        

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, hawkeye62 said:

I have been experimenting with barely legal ryes. I managed to get three here in Utah, Pikesville 110, Rittenhouse 100 and Baby Saz. These are all classed as Limited and Allocated by the Utah DABC. They are never on the shelves, you have to ask one of the stock clerks and you can only buy one bottle at a time. Anyway, I have sampled all three. As I have said before, I have a poor taster. My impression is that the Pikesville comes in on top. Good flavor, some spice and good mouth feel. Rittenhouse comes in a close second. Baby saz comes in third. The Saz has a nice flavor but it feels thin in the mouth. I wouldn't turn down a pour of any of the three, but the Pikesville is at the top of my list.

Regards, Jim        

Nothing like a bit of additional proof and age to help add more flavor!

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Nothing like a bit of additional proof and age to help add more flavor!

Yeah..from what I understand, that is what Pikesville is...older Ritt (~6 vs. 4 years?) and higher proof (110 vs. 100).  I like Baby Saz a lot.  It has a "freshness" to it that I enjoy in Sazeracs vs. the richer, more chocolately taste of Ritt.  I have not had Pikesville yet.  It runs around $45 here while Ritt is $21 so I'm not sure its twice as good.  Baby Saz is around $35 but is EXTREMELY hard to find.

7 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Yeah..from what I understand, that is what Pikesville is...older Ritt (~6 vs. 4 years?) and higher proof (110 vs. 100).  I like Baby Saz a lot.  It has a "freshness" to it that I enjoy in Sazeracs vs. the richer, more chocolately taste of Ritt.  I have not had Pikesville yet.  It runs around $45 here while Ritt is $21 so I'm not sure its twice as good.  Baby Saz is around $35 but is EXTREMELY hard to find.

Yes, the QPR on the Pikesville is its one question mark. Is an additional 2 years and jump in proof to 110 really worth the price difference? Perhaps not but the only way to know for sure is to try it! 

Or maybe the Ritt is just a really, really good value!

Having had Rit and Pikesville side by side I would find it hard to see someone not having two pretty different experiences with each. QPR is in the eye of the the person paying for the hooch but I like having both.

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes, the QPR on the Pikesville is its one question mark. Is an additional 2 years and jump in proof to 110 really worth the price difference? Perhaps not but the only way to know for sure is to try it! 

Or maybe the Ritt is just a really, really good value!

It actually is to me. I like Ritt OK but have a much better experience with the Pikesville. Totally worth the price difference to my palate.

57 minutes ago, flahute said:

It actually is to me. I like Ritt OK but have a much better experience with the Pikesville. Totally worth the price difference to my palate.

Yes, I feel the same way. Pikesville I am happy to drink on its own. Ritt, while fine, is generally heading for a cocktail of some sort.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.