New allowance for bourbon

Clay Cline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I've been buying bourbon for like 3 years. Moving into a new house soon. Trying to limit myself to 20 bucks every 2 weeks for bourbon!  Opinions on best values? I'm expanding a lot of expert advice!  Trying to decide if I should just save it up every few weeks but a 40 dollar bottle. Or go budget every week with EW BIB, ECSB, OWA and such 

If I spent only $20 every two weeks on bourbon, I likely would start by buying a handle of JW Dant which would last at least two weeks and then buy single 750s of (alternating every third week) OE 101, WT 101, and OGD BIB at the beginning of the next two weeks.  That way, I would have some JW Dant left over to get me through those fourth weeks.  Or, so I'd hope. B)

I'd be buying a lot of Old Fitz and OGD BIB.  If I got bored with that, I'd still probably only be buying BIB's (VOB, HH6, Ritt). 

Well..... maybe a WT101 or two. 

I can't find old fitz in Oklahoma!  I wish I could. We do have larceny though! It's usually 25 bucks! We do have EW BIB rittenhouse BIB. And a little OE 101 around!

4 minutes ago, Clay Cline said:

I can't find old fitz in Oklahoma!  I wish I could. We do have larceny though! It's usually 25 bucks! We do have EW BIB rittenhouse BIB. And a little OE 101 around!

You're going to stretch your budget out best by trying to purchase handles of anything that's readily available.  If Larceny is available this way, it's going to be your best (readily available) option for a standard house wheater. 

$40 every two weeks isn't an awful bourbon budget. That still comes out to $520 a year. Up until the last year, the only bottles that I would buy were Elijah Craig and Wild Turkey 101. Depending on how much you drink, you could stay in stock on both of those all year in your price range. I'd probably start out with a handle of WT 101 (or Old Forester Signature, or Old Fitzgerald BIB, or something in that price range). Sometimes, you could save up a month or longer's worth of bourbon money and buy a nicer bottle. It would certainly be wish to save up around the time of the fall releases.

Quite frankly, I need to make a bourbon budget for myself. Your ten dollars a week seems like a good amount. I have 20 or so bottles now, but I also feel like the more I have the more I need to drink.

I might start a bourbon budget for myself too. I'd prefer to allow myself $15 or $20 a week, but I am sure that my wife would prefer that I limit is to $10 a week.

Maybe I need to buy three of four bottles of Russell's Reserve before I start said bourbon budget.

Let us know how your bourbon budget turns out and what you buy on your budget.

Also, how many bottles do you have now and how many bottles would you estimate that you drink in a month?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I started out with a similar budget a little over 1 yr ago. For me that entailed getting a good supply of the BIB's. Quality lower shelf that mixes great but also isn't bad for sipping and try to pick up the subtle notes. EWBIB and OGD BIB were my favorites. I moved up to OF Signature and Buffalo Trace which were fantastic and made OWA my white whale search. I had a lot of fun hunting those and once I had a decent amount I got choosy and splurged with my money buying the those $35-$45 bottles when I saved up a little. 

Yeah i would definitely buy 1.75's of stuff to be daily drinkers (mostly HH BIB which in my area would be Dant and EW and probably Ezra Brooks) to maximize my volume to dollars and then save for some good value bottles, the ones that come to mind are WTRB, Mckenna BIB, ECBP, ER, & KCSB

Depends mainly on what you like to drink.  I tend to lean more towards, small batch, single barrel, etc.  If my bourbon budget was limited to $20 every two weeks, :lol:Bwahahaha, then I would probably wait til I had $40  or  $60 or $80 and then buy something in that range that I wanted to try.  Hell, last week I spent $176 :o.  Just have to hope that my wife doesn't ever read this post.

2 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

$40 every two weeks isn't an awful bourbon budget. That still comes out to $520 a year. Up until the last year, the only bottles that I would buy were Elijah Craig and Wild Turkey 101. Depending on how much you drink, you could stay in stock on both of those all year in your price range. I'd probably start out with a handle of WT 101 (or Old Forester Signature, or Old Fitzgerald BIB, or something in that price range). Sometimes, you could save up a month or longer's worth of bourbon money and buy a nicer bottle. It would certainly be wish to save up around the time of the fall releases.

Quite frankly, I need to make a bourbon budget for myself. Your ten dollars a week seems like a good amount. I have 20 or so bottles now, but I also feel like the more I have the more I need to drink.

I might start a bourbon budget for myself too. I'd prefer to allow myself $15 or $20 a week, but I am sure that my wife would prefer that I limit is to $10 a week.

Maybe I need to buy three of four bottles of Russell's Reserve before I start said bourbon budget.

Let us know how your bourbon budget turns out and what you buy on your budget.

Also, how many bottles do you have now and how many bottles would you estimate that you drink in a month?

I have about 70 bottles bunkered. Some pretty good stuff. A little bottom shelf. I like all different kinds! I drink a little more in the summer. I'm really a cigar guy. The house I'm moving into soon will have a lounge in the garage. So I expect myndrinking to increase!  Trying to build as big of stock as I can and then replace and maintain as I finish bottles. I only have 7-8 open!  I love EC and Evan Williams products. I'm a huge BT distillery fan too!

Edited by Clay Cline

I have about 70 bottles bunkered. Some pretty good stuff. A little bottom shelf. I like all different kinds! I drink a little more in the summer. I'm really a cigar guy. The house I'm moving into soon will have a lounge in the garage. So I expect myndrinking to increase!  Trying to build as big of stock as I can and then replace and maintain as I finish bottles. I only have 7-8 open!  I love EC and Evan Williams products. I'm a huge BT distillery fan too!

Oh wow, if you have 70 bottles bunkered, then you can certainly save up your bourbon budget as long as you want as you have enough bunkered to last for years.

I don't know. I always say ok I'm done for a while. Then I find myself hunting!!  I'm the same way with cigars!  I don't think it's ever enough!

Do a little work on the weekend to supplement your allowance. Cut grass, wash windows, detail cars, etc. You can easily double that allowance.

7 minutes ago, M1marksman said:

Do a little work on the weekend to supplement your allowance. Cut grass, wash windows, detail cars, etc. You can easily double that allowance.

Ha. That's a great idea. I think that would make my wife break my neck though!  I'm actually kinda looking forward to the challenge. The problem will be when I run across hard LEs!  I found OWA 750s for 20. Liters of WSR for 20! EWSB for 20!  I can make this work!

Just now, Clay Cline said:

Ha. That's a great idea. I think that would make my wife break my neck though!  I'm actually kinda looking forward to the challenge. The problem will be when I run across hard LEs!  I found OWA 750s for 20. Liters of WSR for 20! EWSB for 20!  I can make this work!

Wow! At those prices and availability I think you'll do fine. Those bottles are almost nonexistent here in Indiana.

It's really interesting the difference in availability around the country. We always have WSR and OWA available around the OKC area! Buffalo trace is often times out our 1 bottle limit. Some places charging 39 dollars a liter. Liter is all I see on shelves ever. Eagle rare is indeed rare. Larceny just became available here within last 2 years. Never ever seen a Henry McKenna 10 BIB. See baby saz around every once in a while. I grabbed 4 bottles last month. Stagg jr pretty common !

It's really interesting the difference in availability around the country. We always have WSR and OWA available around the OKC area! Buffalo trace is often times out our 1 bottle limit. Some places charging 39 dollars a liter. Liter is all I see on shelves ever. Eagle rare is indeed rare. Larceny just became available here within last 2 years. Never ever seen a Henry McKenna 10 BIB. See baby saz around every once in a while. I grabbed 4 bottles last month. Stagg jr pretty common !

Wow, Stagg Jr is a ghost around here. ER, Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond, and BT are common here. OWA is a ghost bottle. WSR doesn't last on the shelves more than a few hours around here.

13 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Wow, Stagg Jr is a ghost around here. ER, Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond, and BT are common here. OWA is a ghost bottle. WSR doesn't last on the shelves more than a few hours around here.

Where are you at?

Fitz is in Lexington KY and I'm in Elizabethtown KY, a little over an hour west.  WSR, OWA are hard to find and like he said are gone within hours of being put on the shelves, if they even make it to the shelves.  And if you're looking for W12, well good luck.  I haven't even seen a bottle of Stagg or ETL on the shelves in my town.

Edited by CardsandBourbon

Where are you at?

Lexington, Kentucky

You guys need to realize that Old Fitz BIB and Heaven Hill BIB don't exist outside Kentucky anymore. Seems like the good budget pours are slowly disappearing. That's why I stocked up a couple years ago.

Here's an idea.  Have a first pour from one of your nicer bottles.  Then switch over to the budget pour handles.  Plus you're smoking cigars too.  The ol' taste buds can only taste so much. ;)

Edited by PaulO

Best way is to buy all the bourbon you need (Because we NEED it! That is what Whiskirexia Nervosa is after all.).

Then you create a budget with what is left to pay for everything else!

B)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.