My Solera/Infinity Bottle just arrived!

Cundiff5535
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

First off, thanks for all the insight on decanters.  I ended up buying this off FeeBay for $30 shipped, which I thought was a fair price.  As soon as I unpacked it, I started just adding 1/2 oz to 1oz of really what was left out still from about a month ago.  I didn't want to go to extreme and as you will see, a lot of wheaters listed!  I also added some higher proof stuff, some old juice, and some juice that no longer around to provide burn, some oak (age), and history to the bottle.  I have A LOT more than can be put in anytime but, I thought this was a solid starting point.  I really do not know how balanced it will be or if it will be good for that matter... But, it is cool, and I already have a lot of folks who can't wait to come try it.

I did just mix it up tonight... Does anyone have thoughts on how long to wait to try it?  I would love to hear some thoughts and feedback on the choices!

1 PH10

2 Blantons Single Barrel

3 Boman Brother

4 John Bowman

5 Bookers Center Cut

6 Baby Sazerac

7 Weller 12

8 Blantons Straight From the Barrel

9 1994 Old Fitz (SW Juice)

10 Old Fitz BIB

11 EH Taylor Barrel Strength

12 Garrison Brothers

13 Evan Williams SB 2007 

14 Eagle Rare

15 Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon 2016

16  Old Forrester 1920 

17 Four Roses Single Barrel

18 EHTaylor Small Batch

19 Weller 107

20 Weller SA

21 Larcney

22 Blade & Bow

23 Angels Envy

24 Michter’s 10

As a side note, I thought of adding the smallest cap full of either Adbeg or Laphroaig to this bottle...  I really do enjoy peated whiskey and thought that a small hint of smoke in this bottle which should be slightly sweet would be interesting.  I am going to wait to pour my first dram and add a few drops to see what the taste is like...  if it work, ill add it later, if not... Well, I just saved my entire bottle from disaster!

IMG_6674_zpsh5m03iku.jpg

IMG_6675_zps5vq1iwil.jpg

IMG_6677_zpsyc3cz3yf.jpg

Edited by Cundiff5535

7 minutes ago, jsrudd said:

I would wait about a week to let the flavors marry. I would not add scotch. 

Perfect!  Thanks!

Bc

21 hours ago, Cundiff5535 said:

First off, thanks for all the insight on decanters.  I ended up buying this off FeeBay for $30 shipped, which I thought was a fair price.  As soon as I unpacked it, I started just adding 1/2 oz to 1oz of really what was left out still from about a month ago.  I didn't want to go to extreme and as you will see, a lot of wheaters listed!  I also added some higher proof stuff, some old juice, and some juice that no longer around to provide burn, some oak (age), and history to the bottle.  I have A LOT more than can be put in anytime but, I thought this was a solid starting point.  I really do not know how balanced it will be or if it will be good for that matter... But, it is cool, and I already have a lot of folks who can't wait to come try it.

I did just mix it up tonight... Does anyone have thoughts on how long to wait to try it?  I would love to hear some thoughts and feedback on the choices!

1 PH10
2 Blantons Single Barrel
3 Boman Brother
4 John Bowman
5 Bookers Center Cut
6 Baby Sazerac
7 Weller 12
8 Blantons Straight From the Barrel
9 1994 Old Fitz (SW Juice)
10 Old Fitz BIB
11 EH Taylor Barrel Strength
12 Garrison Brothers
13 Evan Williams SB 2007 
14 Eagle Rare
15 Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon 2016
16  Old Forrester 1920 
17 Four Roses Single Barrel
18 EHTaylor Small Batch
19 Weller 107
20 Weller SA
21 Larcney
22 Blade & Bow
23 Angels Envy
24 Michter’s 10

As a side note, I thought of adding the smallest cap full of either Adbeg or Laphroaig to this bottle...  I really do enjoy peated whiskey and thought that a small hint of smoke in this bottle which should be slightly sweet would be interesting.  I am going to wait to pour my first dram and add a few drops to see what the taste is like...  if it work, ill add it later, if not... Well, I just saved my entire bottle from disaster!

Damn, that's a thing of beauty. I can't wait to hear how it tastes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I love peated malts and I love bourbon, but I'll let the professionals at High West do the blending.  I have no compunctions about blending bourbons, slightly more compunctions about blending scotch, and tons of compunctions about blending both together.

That said, if you are going to do what you want, at least wait until it is properly married.  Then pour off a small sample or two, add proportionate amounts of peated malts, and let that marry for a time.  THEN make your decision about whether or not you want to go down that road.

Edited by garbanzobean

Just my opinion, but you guys that add all these bourbons to a bottle are missing out along the way of adding them, personally I would take a sip every now and then after adding a bourbon just to check the taste, you could be missing out on something extraordinary! I have tried numerous vats, but I always taste after each component, sometimes adding a certain one will throw the whole thing off. I'm not too sure about letting it sit to marry either, that has been discussed out here, I asked that ? to the blender gal out here, but never got a response. I think that after adding them and giving it a good shake you already know what it's going to taste like, I've tried it both ways and really can't taste THAT much of a difference. Otherwise you got quite a blend there! Never tried that many.

Nice work on this, let us know how it turns out. Even if not great, new whiskies can be added later to help it along. I also second on not adding the scotch. At least at this point. 

3 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

I love peated malts and I love bourbon, but I'll let the professionals at High West do the blending.  I have no compunctions about blending bourbons, slightly more compunctions about blending scotch, and tons of compunctions about blending both together.

That said, if you are going to do what you want, at least wait until it is properly married.  Then pour off a small sample or two, add proportionate amounts of peated malts, and let that marry for a time.  THEN make your decision about whether or not you want to go down that road.

Try HW Campfire which is being refered to here if you can find it and that may help you decide about adding a peated malt whisky. But even if you do I think Eric's advice above is a smart way to go to make sure you don't turn the whole bottle into something you don't like.

12 hours ago, dSculptor said:

Just my opinion, but you guys that add all these bourbons to a bottle are missing out along the way of adding them, personally I would take a sip every now and then after adding a bourbon just to check the taste, you could be missing out on something extraordinary! I have tried numerous vats, but I always taste after each component, sometimes adding a certain one will throw the whole thing off. I'm not too sure about letting it sit to marry either, that has been discussed out here, I asked that ? to the blender gal out here, but never got a response. I think that after adding them and giving it a good shake you already know what it's going to taste like, I've tried it both ways and really can't taste THAT much of a difference. Otherwise you got quite a blend there! Never tried that many.

It can need longer than a good shake sometimes. The 4RSmB/OGD114 blend I tried recently did not taste good at all right after blending. 30 minutes later though it was divine. Happened twice so it wasn't a one off palate issue. 

10 hours ago, flahute said:

It can need longer than a good shake sometimes. The 4RSmB/OGD114 blend I tried recently did not taste good at all right after blending. 30 minutes later though it was divine. Happened twice so it wasn't a one off palate issue. 

Hey Steve, I guess I can see the 30 minutes, but I was more referring to letting it sit for days or weeks, I think the only true way of finding out, would be to make a blend, let it sit for a week, and then make the exact same blend again, then try them blind SbS immediately and see if there is a difference- guess my next blend is going in that direction. BTW I tried that same blend but with just the FRY/OGD- 50/50 and thought it was great, the proof only came to 88, so I could see stepping that up a bit, OGD114 and OGD are like two of the only bourbons that I get heartburn from, don't know why, but EVERY time I had them I got heartburn, but not with the blend. Ok .. enough drift -sorry.

Someone here conducted an experiment a while back wherein they compared vattings that had been allowed to sit for varying periods of time. IIRC, they determined that any longer than a day or two seemed to make no difference. 

Rather than peated scotch, a little bit of Balcones Brimstone would give it an interesting smokey kick.

Sampled a 1/2oz today, for kicks!  

The Color: under light is a nice amber... not quite as amber as a M20 or even 15 aged bottle, but definitely seems darker than a 12 EC pour.

Smell:l is amazing...  clove, brown sugar (almost molasses), rich carmel, with little hints of oak and spice.  literally one of the best noses I have smelt on a bourbon.

Taste: very very light up front.  carmel with that rye spice mixed in... slowly turns to a mellow sweetness with the slightest amount of oak in it.  

Finish: "ever changing"...  smooth with a SUPER long complex finish to it... deep high proof burn (not bad) and lingering oak and wood going on.  still able to get a molasses, rye spiciness as well.  

As mentioned in another post... I am not a "tasting notes" guy.  I typically say... Taste like fucking bourbon... and I definitely don't smell brown sugar.  But, I tried to do my best with this as no one else realistically will be able to tell me my review is wrong, or silly.  Anyway, should be cool to see where the bottle goes!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember ever hearing about these infinity bottles/vats before today (or maybe I've just had too much whiskey and have started forgetting things), but I'm curious to try this. I've got a nice Tiffany decanter that I don't use much that would be perfect. I'm a little worried that I would ultimately end up making my good whiskey worse. And I'm not good at planning or putting a lot of thought in things like this so I think my "strategy" would be pretty willy-nilly.

1 hour ago, dkn said:

I don't remember ever hearing about these infinity bottles/vats before today (or maybe I've just had too much whiskey and have started forgetting things), but I'm curious to try this. I've got a nice Tiffany decanter that I don't use much that would be perfect. I'm a little worried that I would ultimately end up making my good whiskey worse. And I'm not good at planning or putting a lot of thought in things like this so I think my "strategy" would be pretty willy-nilly.

Some members here have been doing it for years. They call it their "Last Pours" bottle which is maybe why you haven't seen it. 

• 10 months later...

I have just tonight tried the whiskey from my own bottle. It started out with being the last pour from a dying bottle but then when it had a bit of liquid, I started pouring in a bit when I first opened a bottle, so I wouldn’t lose out on what could be my last chance to enjoy a certain bottle. I decided to take the bold and adventurous route and add in a little from every bottle I open without discrimination to try and create something unique. Once upon a time I kept it only bourbon but it ended up tasting like bourbon, the shock. I add differing amounts to it, depending on the bottle. I love Islay scotch so I drink a lot of it, thus I only added maybe 1/4 oz per bottle. 

I actually love it. Perhaps it’s just the personal touch but I’m getting a lot of maple and ginger notes, which taste very unique. The scotch is not overwhelming me but there may be 40 or so whiskies in here at the moment so it’s a fraction. I’m very happy I ended up doing this, and I’m going to continue to add to it and taste it often. It may be great sometimes or it may be odd but it will just be fun to keeps tabs on it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.