Counterfeit scotch arrest

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

No mention of any American whiskey / bourbon in this one, though:

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/latest-news/12984/sophisticated-fake-whisky-setup-exposed/

This sort of thing is, and always has been, inevitable whenever so much money is available . . . and is often being spent by less-than-knowledgeable folx.     Sometimes even very experienced people can be taken in, when their glee at having sourced something so rare and wonderful prevents them from looking at the possibility of duplicity.    Sad to say; but as PT Barnum said 'one is born every minute'.    Word to the wise: Don't be that one.

I can only imagine the amount of fakes out there in the bourbon secondary because a lot of the seals are nothing more than a one cent piece of shrink wrap that can be purchased on the internet.  This fact alone would prevent me from ever participating in an online auction or other secondary market.  If a counterfeiter can get the exact seal and reseal a bottle, it would seem next to imposssible to ever detect the fraud.  Seriously, if someone sold a faked 2009 FRSIB LE and filled it with a private selection of the same recipe and sealed it up with that flimsy piece of shrink wrap, it would probably never be detected after being sold for $600+

Some of the images I've seen on-line are scary - seals/foils SO CLOSE that unless you had a known legit bottle right next to it, I'd venture that many of us (maybe not all, but I'm in this group!) wouldn't be able to identify the fake.  Although I think most of us are buying at retail, which is the best way to avoid the problem (or if not, buying from someone we know/trust who bought from retail).  With prices being what they are, this is inevitable.

And when empty bottles of PVW23 are going for $200 (including shipping - auction below closed yesterday!) . . . the only thing they need to perfect is the foil/seal.  And have something close on color.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pappy-Van-Winkle-23-Year-Old-Rare-Bourbon-Empty-Bottle-/252790713220?hash=item3adb802b84%3Ag%3AT80AAOSwCU1YtOx6&nma=true&si=aB066bPFpK9pJzlRZp0BfyG%2BAqE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yeah, the market for empties should be considered rock solid proof there are resealed Original bottle fakes on the bourbon secondary.  It's complete denial if anyone thinks the empties sold on eBay are being turned into lamps or some other such BS knick knack.  I keep many of my cool empties, but if I throw them out I deface all labels with a sharpie and then scratch it up with a knife.  I don't break the bottle because I dont want glass shards in my garbage can.  

I've kept a few empties (and tried in vane to turn some others into pint glasses).  I keep thinking I'm going to turn them into lamps or some such thing, but I wouldn't sell them.  If push came to shove, they'd go in the recycling (although I might break them first just to be safe).  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.