My Next Quest

hawkeye62
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have experimented with barely legal ryes. I have tried MGP ryes. I have tried three 100% ryes, Woodinville and two Old Potrero ryes. Now I wonder about something in between. What about a bourbon mash bill but with the rye and corn content switched? Maybe 70% rye, 20% corn and 10% malted barley? Is there anything out there that is close to that mash bill?

Regards, Jim

Twelve Five Rye is very close to that Nashville.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Booker's Rye was supposedly in the mid 70s in terms on rye %........

But seriously, the Willett house made rye currently available as a 3 year is in the 70s  for rye % I believe. I like it, even being young.

Twelve Five Rye is very close to that Nashville.

Beautiful autocorrect. Nashville = mashbill!
Twelve Five Rye is very close to that mashbill.

They don't give details on the % blend but High West Double Rye is a blend of 95% Rye and 53% Rye

11 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Beautiful autocorrect. Nashville = mashbill!
Twelve Five Rye is very close to that mashbill.

You had me going there! The Twelve Five Rye does look interesting, but I have no idea how to find a bottle, short of making a trip to Iowa.

Regards, Jim

Brainville Rye has the mashbill that you seek: 70% rye, 20% corn, and 10% malted barley.

I am a fan of The Flaming Lips, so I have kept my eyes open for a bottle of this (even though I don't like the price).

http://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/articles/she-dont-drink-vodka-the-flaming-lips-get-their-own-whiskey-w212102

9 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Brainville Rye has the mashbill that you seek: 70% rye, 20% corn, and 10% malted barley.

I am a fan of The Flaming Lips, so I have kept my eyes open for a bottle of this (even though I don't like the price).

http://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/articles/she-dont-drink-vodka-the-flaming-lips-get-their-own-whiskey-w212102

You can probably order this from Ace Spirits still

6 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

You can probably order this from Ace Spirits still

I would love to, but shipping alcohol is illegal in Kentucky.

14 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I would love to, but shipping alcohol is illegal in Kentucky.

Gotta love the state by state liquor laws. I don't understand why we can't all play by the same rules. 

Gotta love the state by state liquor laws. I don't understand why we can't all play by the same rules. 

Me either, but I am not complaining as I can find some great affordable bourbons here (Heaven Hill BIB, Old Fitzgerald BIB, Very Old Barton BIB, etc.) That are hard to find elsewhere.

On 3/3/2017 at 8:37 PM, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

If you don't mind a drive up to the Chicago Burbs, the local Binny's has had this sitting in the case for weeks.

• 1 month later...

As far as I am aware the Brainville Rye is just Few's standard Rye at a lower proof in a special bottle at 2-3x the price. This review says as much: http://thewhiskeyjug.com/rye-whiskey/the-flaming-lips-brainville-rye-whiskey-review/

Few Rye has a very similar flavor profile to the in-house rye that Willet has been producing (Willet 3 year is the one I tried), just at a lower proof. Basically, if you're into young ryes craft ryes in the 2-3 year range, you'll probably like it. If you like some age on your rye (like me) you'll probably be disappointed.

I have a sort of love/hate relationship with Few. A numbers of year back (4 or 5) I really loved the stuff, I bought 6 or 7 bottles and some I gave away as gifts. Then I got a 2014 bottle and it was just awful, a really heavy raw, young grain flavor that I can't get behind. Everything taste of it I've had since then has been similar. So, I'm not sure what happened, I have some friends who had some of the early stuff and are still fans of the latest batch, so I don't know what to make of it. I'm not sure if they were originally sourcing their rye or blending some sourced with their stuff, or if my tastes simply have changed over time.

Still I'm glad that they're producing rye in the area (I'm about 3.5 hours away), and I hope they're keeping back some of their stock to put out some age stated goodness in a few years. I'm probably going to do their distillery tour sometime this summer when we go to chicago. They make a number of other things that I would like to try, like their barrel aged gin.

Another young craft rye with a very similar flavor profile is Cedar Ridge Rye, which is made about 10 minutes from me here in Iowa. Again I have friends who like this one as well, even though it's not my thing, but if you're into craft ryes it's well regarded.

Edited by EarthQuake

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.