Limestone Branch Minor Case Rye

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

^^^I saw a press release last week, and all I can say is that the bottle being used is an absolute piece of art. 

I hope the whiskey can hold a candle to it! 

27 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^I saw a press release last week, and all I can say is that the bottle being used is an absolute piece of art. 

I hope the whiskey can hold a candle to it! 

Yeah I hear you there, I'm intrigued at this point but not necessarily in for a bottle, would like to see an age statement.  The sherry finish makes it something I at least would like to try though.

Yeah I hear you there, I'm intrigued at this point but not necessarily in for a bottle, would like to see an age statement.  The sherry finish makes it something I at least would like to try though.

I think the age is minimal, I think I read 2 years somewhere.

I rarely give craft whiskies a second look, but the lineage here has me intrigued enough that I might get a bottle if it's staring me in the face.

^^^^Joe, I'm with you on this one.  Two of Jim Beam's great-grandson's, flush with 'new' cash from a recent buy in...;)

A bit surprisingly, given they have had a distillery for the past 5 or 6 years, albeit a small one making mostly "sugar shine" as best I can tell, a post on Whisky Advocate notes this is pretty clearly more of the ubiquitous young MGP rye distillate. I have to say that doesn't seem a particularly fitting tribute to me nor does it sound like anything I am interested in. And especially not for $50!

The Yellowstone label they have been releasing of late is also sourced distillate as best I recall. Has Limestone released any bourbon or rye that they have made yet?

7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

A bit surprisingly, given they have had a distillery for the past 5 or 6 years, albeit a small one making mostly "sugar shine" as best I can tell, a post on Whisky Advocate notes this is pretty clearly more of the ubiquitous young MGP rye distillate. I have to say that doesn't seem a particularly fitting tribute to me nor does it sound like anything I am interested in. And especially not for $50!

The Yellowstone label they have been releasing of late is also sourced distillate as best I recall. Has Limestone released any bourbon or rye that they have made yet?

Damn........that's incredibly disappointing. Why the heck have they not distilled their own?

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Damn........that's incredibly disappointing. Why the heck have they not distilled their own?

Well, this info means I'm going to throw my interest along with the nice Beam lineage out the door.  The press release was a deliberate attempt at obfuscation and deceit.  Unfortunately, even a distillery owned by those with the greatest name in American distilling can't seem to just do the right thing.  

This type of shenanigans is a major reason why I said that I rarely give craft whiskies a second look.  Shameful that they pimp the hallowed Beam name to help carry out such a Templeton-type ruse.  

Thanks for the heads up, Bruce.  I'll use the $50 I saved towards the purchase of a legitimate bottle we can share!  :)

19 hours ago, flahute said:

I asked, and they confirmed that it is sourced rye (although they will not disclose the source, we know who that is).  They are doing the bottling and finishing (but hey, who's not)! 

I also followed up with a question regarding whether or not they will ever produce their own rye mash, as well as when do they expect to have some of their own bourbon ready to go.  I'll report back if/when they respond.

I'm not ready to throw them under the bus, just yet (as they openly admitted to me that this is a sourced rye).  However, I am also disappointed like you guys, as they have been around long enough now to have brought their own aged rye to bear (had they chosen to do so). 

Speaking of, you can also put me in the crowd that says they've been around long enough that we should be seeing some of their own bourbon  on the street by now.<_< 

Honestly if this was a 4+ year sourced sherry finished rye I would still be fine with it, but for the price a two year old is a hard sell.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.