Four Roses 2017 Small Batch LE

beasled
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

$145 in columbia sc. think I'm going to hold off cracking this one for a bit. 

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:07 PM, birdie said:

Why is this so hard to get, there are 10,000 bottles, where are they all going.

Think about it this away, their are 13,000 members on SB.com.... 4R could have given all the Al Young batch to SB.com and 3,000 people wouldn't have been able to get a bottle.  And no telling how many bourbon drinkers that are actually out there now. Its just getting tough to get LE's of anything. 

4 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Think about it this away, their are 13,000 members on SB.com....

Shit, I'd better book my sampler hotel room.

A liquor store up here in Massachusetts just listed a Whisky Magazine Bottling honoring Al Young. It is given as being OBSQ. Would that be different from the bottling being discussed in this thread?

Ray

12 minutes ago, graftonbc1 said:

A liquor store up here in Massachusetts just listed a Whisky Magazine Bottling honoring Al Young. It is given as being OBSQ. Would that be different from the bottling being discussed in this thread?

Ray

Yes. The bottle in this thread is a small batch, blend of four recipes. 

8 minutes ago, graftonbc1 said:

Ray

^^^What Mako said.

Whisky Magazine picked some (10 I think) 4R single barrels in honor of Al Young. The top liquor stores of the year (as named by Whisky Magazine) are given the opportunity to carry one of the barrels. I'm pretty sure they did the same thing last year, except it wasn't in honor of anyone, it was just sort of a reward for the stores they recognized as being one of the top in the country.

May still be worth picking up a bottle. It's unclear to me whether they have access to higher quality barrels at 4R (seems unlikely) or whether they just pick as a normal store would, albeit in a higher quantity of barrels.

Thanks. I love Four Roses barrel proof select bottlings, so I will go ahead and pick one of these up.  

I picked up my bottle of the Four Roses OBSQ that was selected and named to honor Al Young. It was aged 10 years, 1 month. It is a very nice pour. Apple and peach on the nose, spice forward with the same fruit on the palate. The spice comes back on a long and satisfying finish. I'm glad I was able to get this. 

• 2 weeks later...

I called distributor's all over the country (wherever I had a friend that I could get to buy me a bottle if I found one) the scary thing was most of them had never heard of it. A couple of weeks back I finally got a bottle, but I had to pay more than MSRP so now I'm scared to open it.

Maybe I'll be able to find a taste somewhere then decide how long I need to save this in the bunker!

Loving it is what I'm afraid of. I worked so hard (and spent so much) to get the first bottle I'm worried I'll never get a second chance at it! Of course with all this build up cracking it and not liking it could be even worse. 

Waiting for mine to be deliver, the better part is, i'll get a sample with the full bottle, i'll be able to taste it without opening it. 

On 9/8/2017 at 10:55 AM, Masset1982 said:

Waiting for mine to be deliver, the better part is, i'll get a sample with the full bottle, i'll be able to taste it without opening it. 

Jealous! Have them bring you two samples :)

Edited by dwolf

On 9/7/2017 at 6:25 PM, dwolf said:

Loving it is what I'm afraid of. I worked so hard (and spent so much) to get the first bottle I'm worried I'll never get a second chance at it! Of course with all this build up cracking it and not liking it could be even worse. 

What if something happened to you and you never got to try it period?  That would probably be worse.

Drink it sparingly and enjoy the heck outta it.  I've had bottles of good stuff last 2-3 years easily, with no replacement on deck.

It actually makes you appreciate it more.

Enjoy on special occasions and gas em between tastings with private preserve.

Only share it with people who appreciate it.  And if you have sneaky kids or family members, lock it up.

I'll never understand this holding onto stuff and never drinking it mentality.  Doesn't make me right, I'll just never get it. 

Life's too short, and that bottle's only destiny is to become somebody's "dusty" someday at your estate sale.....and they'll probably drink it.  :)

On 10/09/2017 at 0:14 AM, dwolf said:

Jealous! Have them bring you two samples :)

Don't be, you scored one bottle, could be worst ;). I wish i had two samples dough. 

On 9/9/2017 at 4:44 PM, 0895 said:

What if something happened to you and you never got to try it period?  That would probably be worse.

Drink it sparingly and enjoy the heck outta it.  I've had bottles of good stuff last 2-3 years easily, with no replacement on deck.

It actually makes you appreciate it more.

Enjoy on special occasions and gas em between tastings with private preserve.

Only share it with people who appreciate it.  And if you have sneaky kids or family members, lock it up.

I'll never understand this holding onto stuff and never drinking it mentality.  Doesn't make me right, I'll just never get it. 

Life's too short, and that bottle's only destiny is to become somebody's "dusty" someday at your estate sale.....and they'll probably drink it.  :)

Good point. Have had mixed results with keeping bottles open for a while. When I start approaching a year I usually try to drink them. If I kick the bucket at least I know who will be drinking my stash and it won't be a random at an estate sale:) If anyone doesn't have this luxury feel free to add me to your will :D

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:55 PM, Masset1982 said:

Man, you've got mad skillz getting one of those in Belgium.

I was shit outta luck on this release.

Proost my friend! Proost!!

Mad skillz indeed. I'm sorry you couldn't get one. Didn't taste yet, I'll crack the sample soon. Opted for the 4R OBSV from Wine and Cheese, quite powerful and tasty. 

Proost / santé in French. 

Will. 

Edited by Masset1982

1 hour ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

Man, you've got mad skillz getting one of those in Belgium.

I was shit outta luck on this release.

Proost my friend! Proost!!

I screw up the quoting. Sorry

6 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

I screw up the quoting. Sorry

How much for a pour in a bar ? $30 a pour?  For half an once, right ? If you want I'll send you a sample it, cost me $€32 to ship in the US, but for a 2oz sample. 

1 hour ago, Masset1982 said:

How much for a pour in a bar ? $30 a pour?  For half an once, right ? If you want I'll send you a sample it, cost me $€32 to ship in the US, but for a 2oz sample. 

Whoops! My bad, I don't speak Dutch or French very well, and by not very well I mean like two or three words.

Thats a very nice offer, but I have a feeling Bar 1919 in San Antonio will have it soon. I'd hate to take good bourbon away from a fellow SB'er. You Sir are a true gentleman

57 minutes ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

Whoops! My bad, I don't speak Dutch or French very well, and by not very well I mean like two or three words.

Thats a very nice offer, but I have a feeling Bar 1919 in San Antonio will have it soon. I'd hate to take good bourbon away from a fellow SB'er. You Sir are a true gentleman

If they are charging you to much for it, don't, next time I'm sending a package to the US, I'll pack a few for you, not my first time. Just cracked the Al Young sample, this one is hit for sure. 

On 9/11/2017 at 2:16 PM, Masset1982 said:

Opted for the 4R OBSV from Wine and Cheese, quite powerful and tasty.

Will. 

The one from fall of 2015?

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

The one from fall of 2015?

I couldn't say, it was a sample from a swap with a US citizen.

IMG_8895.JPG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.