Four Roses 2017 Small Batch LE

beasled
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally!!!    The Al Young Com. SmBLE hits Michigan... or finally hits my local outlet anyway. 

Got a call today, and rushed right out to grab it up.   

Opened it up a couple small pours ago.    This is very good stuff!    Complex, good amount of oak, and a little char, which I don't always get in 4-R stuff.    LOADS of Rye character (which I expect with 4-R).    ...And lots of caramel, a bit of vanilla, some kind of fruit (maybe yellow plums or figs?), and a huge hit of sour rye bread and fresh ground pepper.    I LOVE this bottle.    Wish I had an extra one...

I forgot to mention this yesterday when I wrote this post; but, the cork on this bottle was a rather loose fit.    I don't think any (or extremely little) would've leaked... No aroma, good fill-level.   Anyway, I traded out the cork for tighter one I had in my 'just-in-case-cork baggie'.    Might just be a one-off issue; or maybe not.   Word to the wise....

Edited by Richnimrod
FORGOT!!!

43 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Finally!!!    The Al Young Com. SmBLE hits Michigan... or finally hits my local outlet anyway. 

Opened it up a couple small pours ago.    This is very good stuff!    Complex, good amont of oak, and a little char, which I don't always get in 4-R stuff.    LOADS of Rye character (which I expect with 4-R).    ...And lots of caramel, a bit of vanilla, some kind of fruit (maybe yellow plums or figs?), and a huge hit of sour rye bread and fresh ground pepper.    I LOVE this bottle.    Wish I had an extra one...

Congrats - You lucky dog.  I hope to find one myself.

Opened it up a couple small pours ago.    This is very good stuff!    Complex, good amont of oak, and a little char, which I don't always get in 4-R stuff.    LOADS of Rye character (which I expect with 4-R).    ...And lots of caramel, a bit of vanilla, some kind of fruit (maybe yellow plums or figs?), and a huge hit of sour rye bread and fresh ground pepper.    I LOVE this bottle.    Wish I had an extra one...

Geez Rich, does that get delivered in a Delorian? I didn't think your part of Michigan was the ass end of the bourbon world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

Geez Rich, does that get delivered in a Delorian? I didn't think your part of Michigan was the ass end of the bourbon world.

I know, right?    I'd given hope way over a month ago (2-months even?) on this one.

No explanation.    Just a call from my guy; and when I arrived there, a brief discussion led to the expectation that the next 4-R LE is likely coming soon.  

Some story about the 4-R distributor's rep having had health issues for most of late Summer, and having suffered the sudden, unexpected loss of his Mother during the early part of this month. 

In any case, I was very glad to have managed the good fortune to get the Al Young.    Have you tasted it, Rich?

I know, right?    I'd given hope way over a month ago (2-months even?) on this one.
No explanation.    Just a call from my guy; and when I arrived there, a brief discussion led to the expectation that the next 4-R LE is likely coming soon.  
Some story about the 4-R distributor's rep having had health issues for most of late Summer, and having suffered the sudden, unexpected loss of his Mother during the early part of this month. 
In any case, I was very glad to have managed the good fortune to get the Al Young.    Have you tasted it, Rich?

I got one brief taste. A friend at work got one. I really enjoyed and would be happy to have one but I never saw or heard of it when it hit Atlanta. But then again, my best option is #3 on one store's list and # god knows what on several others. LEs aren't exactly beating down my door. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 7:14 PM, Mako254 said:

$145 in columbia sc. think I'm going to hold off cracking this one for a bit. 

I just moved to Columbia from Atlanta. Any stores you would recommend?

When I lived there my regular shop was Morganelli's (may have spelled that wrong) and the occasional stop in Greens.

4 minutes ago, BigRich said:

When I lived there my regular shop was Morganelli's (may have spelled that wrong) and the occasional stop in Greens.

Ok thanks for the recommendations

1 hour ago, ATLien said:

Greens downtown off Assembly is now my primary. I have been able to make some in roads there. 

I go to Total wine frequently too. I do not buy enough to be the grand master reserve club or whatever so I do not have access to btac or birthday. 

I have to say Morganellis is not my favorite. That said, jimmy and eddie russell will be there the week after thanksgiving so I'll be there for that. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.