Four Roses 2017 Small Batch LE

beasled
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/27/2017 at 10:59 AM, The Black Tot said:

I do think our acceptance of this practice is a dangerous precedent to set, that opens up an ugly door into producers dropping a teaspoon of older whiskey into a blend and then mentioning it as "a component in the blend"

I think if you're going to put the older whiskeys on the list of blend ingredients, you should be allowed, so long as you're obligated to include percentages such that the customer can make an informed choice.

But I shudder to think what some of the less scrupulous producers will do once they see they can get away with it.

Interesting point...  Without percentages you have to trust the producer, and we all know there are some that can't be trusted... 

4 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Interesting point...  Without percentages you have to trust the producer, and we all know there are some that can't be trusted... 

With or without percentages we have to trust the producer.

For that matter with or without age statements we have to trust the producer.

Bottom line is we have to trust the producer to actually put into the bottle what the label says is contained in the bottle.

As far as percentages or age are concerned, it matters little to me. I care about what the spirit tastes like. I am not the sort to choke down something just because it's old or hard to obtain and smile about it because I am supposed to do so. And I abhor shelf queens, not my bag whatsoever. Now if one wishes to spend their monies on very expensive liquors and just look at them, more power to them.

52 minutes ago, Don Birnam said:

With or without percentages we have to trust the producer.

For that matter with or without age statements we have to trust the producer.

Bottom line is we have to trust the producer to actually put into the bottle what the label says is contained in the bottle.

As far as percentages or age are concerned, it matters little to me. I care about what the spirit tastes like. I am not the sort to choke down something just because it's old or hard to obtain and smile about it because I am supposed to do so. And I abhor shelf queens, not my bag whatsoever. Now if one wishes to spend their monies on very expensive liquors and just look at them, more power to them.

I don't know I think it's one thing when it's a sub $50 bottle when your dropping down a bunch of coin on a bottle without tasting it accurate age statements and percentages help to get some vague idea of what the flavor profile might be. If age statements alone were enough to make something a collectible then I wouldn't see WTMK on shelves still.

54 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I don't know I think it's one thing when it's a sub $50 bottle when your dropping down a bunch of coin on a bottle without tasting it accurate age statements and percentages help to get some vague idea of what the flavor profile might be. If age statements alone were enough to make something a collectible then I wouldn't see WTMK on shelves still.

Funny how $50 is now accepted as, or synonymous with, being affordable (or not dropping a bunch of coin B)).  How times have changed.  In a few more years, maybe it'll be $75 or $100

1 hour ago, jvd99 said:

Funny how $50 is now accepted as, or synonymous with, being affordable (or not dropping a bunch of coin B)).  How times have changed.  In a few more years, maybe it'll be $75 or $100

I would say from 30-50 at least personally I want something to make me buy, maybe not an age statement but at least something above 100 proof or otherwise unique. I agree with the sentiment that age isn't everything, but I think it is certainly a factor in determining value.

6 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Funny how $50 is now accepted as, or synonymous with, being affordable (or not dropping a bunch of coin B)).

Not to me. It has to be high quality and worth it (relatively) from one of various standpoints for me to be a repeat buyer in that price range.

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel? OF1920? KCSB? Yes, I'm a repeat buyer in this price range.

WTKS? OF1897? Some Michter's? A boatload of craft/NDP whiskey? No, I'm not a buyer in that price range. I would be in the mid 30's however.

• 2 weeks later...

Age statements are nice, they let you know how long someone can sit on something before they think someone will buy it.

In my personal opinion I think this Al guy wanted to put the stuff on the label so you know generally what it would taste like before you dropped a mad man's penny. Sounds like a nice guy. But hey that's just me being cynical.

Now, at 5% that 23yr backbone is almost 40ml (37.5mL to be exact), clearly, more than just a drop. Almost 2 barrels worth... I do wonder what they (23yo 4RSB) would taste like straight....After coming over from a "vat or not to vat" thread and mixing some peanut-y RR10 with the corniest bourbon in the world, I can say a thimble can be felt if its stuck up in the right...or wrong, spot.

As for oak and it's effect on flavor, I think a) the initial toasting/char/age of tree/age of cut wood and other variables all have the effect on oxidation (aging) of the bourbon. Also since scotch is using second hand barrels where the solvent (alcohol) is removing most of the initial oak-ey flavors, longer age is required to get flavor from the barrel, coupled with the fact that those guys have a much nippier climate. I do wonder how altitude and temp are affected in places like Wyoming, Colorado and Utah.

Anyways...if someone gets a bottle I'd be very grateful for a sample :D

• 2 weeks later...

what do you guys typical see Four Roses Limited Edition go for? I would think anything under $250.00 would be pretty well bought?

^^^Last one I saw was around $100, and I passed....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, b1gcountry said:

^^^Last one I saw was around $100, and I passed....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I was going to do a trade and I was trying to add up my side of the scale. Essentially, it looks like I was way over.

thanks. 

I was going to do a trade and I was trying to add up my side of the scale. Essentially, it looks like I was way over.

thanks. 

That seems a bit low.....I found the 2016 edition for 109 and was thrilled. I think that is msrp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Government Beard said:

what do you guys typical see Four Roses Limited Edition go for? I would think anything under $250.00 would be pretty well bought?

12 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I think I'll be passing on a bottle of EC 18.  Was in a store today and the owner said he was supposed to be getting a bottle later this week and asked if I wanted him to hold it for me.  I asked how much, the answer, $250.  While I would love to have a bottle I'm not sure I can pull the trigger at that price.

Prices like these are straight up price gouging.  I wouldn't shop at a store marking up like that 

25 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Prices like these are straight up price gouging.  I wouldn't shop at a store marking up like that 

Mine was a trade. I believe FRSBLE is somewhere around 120.00 retail. I don't see them at retail around here.

20 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Mine was a trade. I believe FRSBLE is somewhere around 120.00 retail. I don't see them at retail around here.

Like most people on SB, I don't buy anything on the secondary or use the run away secondary market forces to gauge value, as I have no need for such an endeavor.  I buy from my local independent who sells at MSRP.

Just now, jvd99 said:

Like most people on SB, I don't buy anything on the secondary or use the run away secondary market forces to gauge value, as I have no need for such an endeavor.  I buy from my local independent who sells at MSRP.

I said nothing about buying secondary. Good for you. Thanks for letting me know. 

21 hours ago, Government Beard said:

moved your topic since you posted in the wrong thread.  please stay on topic next time.  thanks

On 4/18/2017 at 7:18 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

That seems a bit low.....I found the 2016 edition for 109 and was thrilled. I think that is msrp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the constructive response Golfer. Appreciate the decent input and thoughts. Huzzah.

On April 18, 2017 at 8:39 PM, Government Beard said:

I was going to do a trade.

Just so you are aware, liquor sales without a license is a federal offense.

And in the eyes of the TTB a trade is two sales.

You probably won't get caught, but you did just post your intentions.

On 4/22/2017 at 8:05 AM, Don Birnam said:

Just so you are aware, liquor sales without a license is a federal offense.

And in the eyes of the TTB a trade is two sales.

You probably won't get caught, but you did just post your intentions.

Does that mean Big Brother/DHS will be hauling me away soon?

Cheers

2 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Does that mean Big Brother/DHS will be hauling me away soon?

Cheers

I will turn you in unless you send me a sample of the LE:P

10 hours ago, Bbstout said:

CONSIDER IT DONE

On 4/23/2017 at 3:03 PM, Bbstout said:

I know this is all in jest, so let me add that threatening to use law enforcement unless receiving something of value is extortion. You guys could have your tasting party in adjoining cells!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to bump this thread. Has anyone heard any news on this being released?

Jeff

It's being released in June during the Bourbon Affair.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.