Four Roses 2017 Small Batch LE

beasled
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Al did select this for release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al has a great palate and this is sure to be a release to remember!

1 minute ago, A-Bar said:

Al has a great palate and this is sure to be a release to remember!

Having shared a pour (or four:ph34r:) of some of his secret stash whiskey, I don't doubt one bit.  He brought two 750 samples to a private event about a year and a half ago, and they were both in my all time top ten.  He was even gracious enough to leave the leftover's behind! 

3 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Dialed up to 750ml. Or is the Super Premium bottle already 750ml?

The SP bottle doesn't say the volume, in English at least.  There's about 25% of writing in Japanese, so it could be there, but indecipherable to me.  It feels a little light, like a 700

5 hours ago, jvd99 said:

The SP bottle doesn't say the volume, in English at least.  There's about 25% of writing in Japanese, so it could be there, but indecipherable to me.  It feels a little light, like a 700

Four Roses Platinum (Super Premium) is 750mL. (If you look on the back, 750mL appears on the fourth line)

7 hours ago, jsrudd said:

Four Roses Platinum (Super Premium) is 750mL. (If you look on the back, 750mL appears on the fourth line)

Mine may be different - that part appears to be in Japanese 

IMG_0532.JPG

7 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Mine may be different - that part appears to be in Japanese 

Inside the boxed area, the third line lists alcohol percentage (43%) and volume (750ml).

4 hours ago, no proof said:

Inside the boxed area, the third line lists alcohol percentage (43%) and volume (750ml).

Got it! I guess numbers are the same in Japanese huh?

55 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Got it! I guess numbers are the same in Japanese huh?

They are not the same but it is perhaps some sort of international convention to use the westernized Arabic numerals we are accustomed to on all liquor bottles for certain things. I have a bottle from North Korea and even that has the proof and volume in Western style numerals. I will have to look at the Baiju I have to see if China does it as well although since that bottle was meant for international export it might not be a good indicator of what is done locally. For that matter the North Korean bottle may be the same situation, made for export. Can't recall whether the local Japanese Sake bottles I own have any western numerals on them. Will have to look when I get home if I remember.

And Japan does use western numerals a lot. Likely in part a vestige of our long occupation after WWII and the greater convenience of calculating using specific numbers.

The Japanese system for numerals as I understand it would be more equivalent to writing a number out. For example Ten Thousand versus 10,000. Writing Ten Thousand doesn't work well for doing calculations in a digital world I suppose.

We get or numbers from Arabic anyway...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I saw Fred Minnick post the following percents on his blog (along with a direct quote about the 5% of the 23 year old OBSV from Brent Elliott. 

5% 23 year OBSV

25% 15 year OBSK

50% 13 year OESV

20% 12 year OBSF

12 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I saw Fred Minnick post the following percents on his blog (along with a direct quote about the 5% of the 23 year old OBSV from Brent Elliott. 

5% 23 year OBSV

25% 15 year OBSK

50% 13 year OESV

20% 12 year OBSF

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I think this is the first year they've revealed the proportions of the components in their LESmB blend.

The article also has a picture of the bottle, which resembles the WTMK bottle more than the 4R Super Premium bottle. So much for our conjectures.

5 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

The article also has a picture of the bottle, which resembles the WTMK bottle more than the 4R Super Premium bottle. So much for our conjectures.

Why do that?  It's just going to jack up the organization of my bunker :angry: with a single oddly shaped bottle among many neatly aligned bottles of the same shape.  

5 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Why do that?  It's just going to jack up the organization of my bunker :angry: with a single oddly shaped bottle among many neatly aligned bottles of the same shape.  

Look on the bright side, we may not even get a bottle!

The other key point from Minnick's story - it's being released in June.

I like the retro look of the bottle.  IMO, the 4RSmB bottles (including the limited's) are more of a storage pain in the ars that this one will be.

I'd love to find a bottle in June, but that is a pipe dream.

I bet this release will be great.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The June release date is indeed unusual compared to previous releases. The 2016 Elliot single barrel ended up coming out around June last year. I wonder if there will be a Single Barrel LE this year?

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The June release date is indeed unusual compared to previous releases. The 2016 Elliot single barrel ended up coming out around June last year. I wonder if there will be a Single Barrel LE this year?

Elliot's was first released at the gift shop during the KBA last year in mid June. The new special edition LE Small Batch will almost certainly be released during the KBA and then nationwide thereafter. It seems to be a growing trend to release something special during that event. At for Four Roses that is.

Elliot's was first released at the gift shop during the KBA last year in mid June. The new special edition LE Small Batch will almost certainly be released during the KBA and then nationwide thereafter. It seems to be a growing trend to release something special during that event. At for Four Roses that is.

Do you remember if it was released at both Bardstown and Lawrenceburg gift shops?

2 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Do you remember if it was released at both Bardstown and Lawrenceburg gift shops?

Both.

Good catch, I didn't even notice that the first two times through. I get an F for reading comprehension today.

I can't seem to find the actual press release from Four Roses. I'm sure Fred Minnick did a good job summarizing it, but I would still like to read the original.

The 23yr OBSV has my interests peaked, even if it is such a small portion, as the 16 and 17yr OBSV gift shop bottles were some of the best whiskey I've ever had.

Good catch, I didn't even notice that the first two times through. I get an F for reading comprehension today.

I can't seem to find the actual press release from Four Roses. I'm sure Fred Minnick did a good job summarizing it, but I would still like to read the original.

This is the actual release on the Ky Bourbon Trail site. Fred did a great job relaying the information

http://kybourbontrail.com/limited-edition-bourbon-celebrates-four-roses-brand-ambassador-bourbon-legend-al-young/

2 hours ago, A-Bar said:

This is the actual release on the Ky Bourbon Trail site. Fred did a great job relaying the information

http://kybourbontrail.com/limited-edition-bourbon-celebrates-four-roses-brand-ambassador-bourbon-legend-al-young/

Thank you much. Yes, he did an excellent job distilling that down for his site.

2 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

The 23yr OBSV has my interests peaked, even if it is such a small portion, as the 16 and 17yr OBSV gift shop bottles were some of the best whiskey I've ever had.

This makes me wonder what happens to the leftover bourbon in the partially-used barrels for the blend. If they stick strictly to the reported proportions, they will likely have to use some (but not all) of a few barrels. For example, if they find that they only need 3.5 barrels of 23yo OBSV to get 5% of the blend, what happens to the remainder of that fourth barrel? Let it keep aging? Gift shop release? Blend it into something else?

Also, are the proportions they list based on straight volume or are they based on proof gallons? Not entirely important, just curious.

Edited by Kpiz

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.