Alabamas 1st Bourbon

BES_Hunter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello all! Big Escambia Spirits is about to launch Alabamas first bourbon and I am super pumped. 1) Its Alabamas first bourbon 2) A LOT of hard work, blood, sweat, and $$$ is going into this operation 3) I helped make it! 

Below are a few local articles with info on my families distillery. I hope many of you will find this to be interesting and exciting. If you have any questions I will try to be very transparent and answer them the best I can. 

http://www.mobilebaymag.com/Mobile-Bay/July-2016/Hometown-Spirits/

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/07/distillery_at_the_end_of_a_red.html

Edited by BES_Hunter

Very cool.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nice articles.    It sure sounds like 'Bama isn't into helping the craft distillery, though.    I hope the products sell well enough that the bank doesn't come with a padlock before the profits finally seep into the coffers. 

I'd really like to try the rums, and especially the Bourbon when it's bottled.

Bet of Luck, BES_Hunter.

17 hours ago, BES_Hunter said:

Hello all! Big Escambia Spirits is about to launch Alabamas first bourbon and I am super pumped. 1) Its Alabamas first bourbon 2) A LOT of hard work, blood, sweat, and $$$ is going into this operation 3) I helped make it! 

Below are a few local articles with info on my families distillery. I hope many of you will find this to be interesting and exciting. If you have any questions I will try to be very transparent and answer them the best I can. 

http://www.mobilebaymag.com/Mobile-Bay/July-2016/Hometown-Spirits/

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/07/distillery_at_the_end_of_a_red.html

Very interesting. Enjoyed the article although there seems to be some confusion in the second one from AL.com, perhaps on the part of  the articles author, about the difference between bourbon and "straight" bourbon. It is bourbon pretty much the moment it hits the new charred oak if it meets the mashbill, distilling and barreling proof requirements (although maybe not a particularly good one at that point no matter who makes it!). Two years is what is needed to label it as "straight" bourbon.

The pictures which appear to show a full size 53 gallon barrel for aging are certainly good to see!

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Very interesting. Enjoyed the article although there seems to be some confusion in the second one from AL.com, perhaps on the part of  the articles author, about the difference between bourbon and "straight" bourbon. It is bourbon pretty much the moment it hits the new charred oak if it meets the mashbill, distilling and barreling proof requirements (although maybe not a particularly good one at that point no matter who makes it!). Two years is what is needed to label it as "straight" bourbon.

The pictures which appear to show a full size 53 gallon barrel for aging are certainly good to see!

Correct! The author probably did not know the difference. 

And yes, All of our bourbon barrels are 53 gallons, all but one with is 30 or 32 I can't remember off the top of my head. We will stay away from baby barrels. Taste too funky in our minds...

Im glad you enjoyed the articles. 

• I like it 1

How did you decide on the mash bill? 

What proof will you bottle at?

Do you have plans to age a portion of your existing inventory over 4 years?

Best of luck to you!

11 hours ago, DeepCover said:

How did you decide on the mash bill? 

What proof will you bottle at?

Do you have plans to age a portion of your existing inventory over 4 years?

Best of luck to you!

Most all the barrels with be single barrels with varying mash bills. We stay pretty low on the corn. Some barrels are exactly 51% with some are around 75%. We've used corn, chocolate rye, malted and rolled oats chilean malt, and various wheats for our wheated bourbon.

Proof will be barrel strength which is 105/106 but we might also cut a few down to 90/92ish. 

And yes, there are several barrels they will stay in the rickhouse for 4+ years. It will be interesting to see what happens and what a 10 year old bourbon tastes like in this Alabama heat. 

• I like it 1

Thanks @BES_Hunter. It looks like you guys have quite a few things going on. I'm sure that's exciting.

By mention of a wheated bourbon, I'd definitely look forward to seeing how that turns out at barrel strength with some age on it. 

@DeepCover yes the wheated Bourbon is my personal favorite right now. It's at a little over a year old it's really coming around. Very grainy, complex, and creamy with a touch of spice. I'm excited as I have not tried tried to many wheated bourbons....

i really should hunt down some more haha. 

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_8286.thumb.JPG.9d5de3503f6d45a5ed6c55d55f27a776.JPGPulled some samples out of the rickhouse last week and this one in particular (Four wheat at 1 year 2 months) was delicious. These spirits begin to get dark really really fast. 

(The barrel pictured is not the four wheat rather the single barrel bourbon) 

Edited by BES_Hunter

12 minutes ago, BES_Hunter said:

IMG_8286.thumb.JPG.9d5de3503f6d45a5ed6c55d55f27a776.JPGPulled some samples out of the rickhouse last week and this one in particular (Four wheat at 1 year 2 months) was delicious. These spirits begin to get dark really really fast. 

(The barrel pictured is not the four wheat rather the single barrel bourbon) 

Stop teasing us. :D

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Stop teasing us. :D

NO!    Don't stop!    I crave the irritation, and the anticipation.   So, go ahead keep it up.    I'm hoping to taste yer stuff at some point, though being in Michigan, I realize I'm hoping for a minor miracle, I suppose.

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2017 at 6:12 PM, Richnimrod said:

NO!    Don't stop!    I crave the irritation, and the anticipation.   So, go ahead keep it up.    I'm hoping to taste yer stuff at some point, though being in Michigan, I realize I'm hoping for a minor miracle, I suppose.

No miracle! I'll ship it to your doorstep! 

Update: just filled barrel number 200! We

are running out of room! Keep your eyes open, our first barrel and getting ready to roll out. 

• 3 months later...

Its here! Dettling Bourbon "Small Batch" Bourbon Whiskey. This first bottling of small batch is bottled at 80 proof and 21 months. Single barrel select is coming at the end of this month and will be bottled at 105 proof and 2 years old. Small Batch will be hitting AL ABC shelves next week and the single barrel select will soon follow. 

Be sure to follow us on facebook for more updates -https://www.facebook.com/Big-Escambia-Spirits-LLC-1515725358662866/?fref=mentionsIMG_9262.thumb.JPG.9d05834bc660032d41d56ae00f016fa8.JPG

IMG_9250.JPG

• 1 month later...

Dettling Bourbon Single Barrel bottled at cask strength. This particular bottling was made with 6 grains. - 52% Corn, rolled oats, malted oats, chocolate rye, chilean malt, and a touch of cara wheat.

This particular bottling was hand selected by the Grand Marriott Hotel. Bottled at 105.4 Proof and aged 21 months. 

IMG_9582.JPG

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Heard very positive comments about your bourbon from a LS owner in NWF . Congrats

Awesome! NWF has been very supportive of us and will be getting some AL Bourbon very soon. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.