Breckenridge Distiller's High Proof Blend

silverc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The local Virginia ABCs now have something new that I haven't heard of before and know nothing about. It's "Breckenridge Distiller's High Proof Blend". 105 Proof, $59.99.

Can anybody tell me what this is? Is it a true bourbon or an American Whiskey? Is it just the regular Breckenridge (which is 86 proof) bottled at barrel proof? Is this their own distillate or more sourced stuff? I think the standard Breckenridge is 2 years. I have a bottle and think it's okay but overpriced and not all that memorable. I am sure the higher proof version is better, but I couldn't find any reviews.

Anybody try this before or know anything about it?

Breckenridge_HighProof.jpg

The fact that they're not calling it bourbon makes me seriously doubt that it's bourbon. The only reason I'm not certain is that VA ABC makes mistakes on their site all the time (they had the EH Taylor Seasoned Wood as a whiskey and not a bourbon). 

The label states that it is a blend of straight bourbon whiskies so it must be bourbon. It's just not all from the same source.

55 minutes ago, mosugoji64 said:

The label states that it is a blend of straight bourbon whiskies so it must be bourbon. It's just not all from the same source.

Yeah I wish I looked closer at the label. It's clearly bourbon. Based in marketing write up in the website (which I'm pretty sure Breckinridge gives them) it looks to be the regular product bottled at a higher proof. I doubt its cask strength though.  

I don't think Breckenridge has ever been entirely their bourbon. Initially they sourced and than as I understand it they have been stretching that sourced whiskey out with their own young distillate. Unless they make an effort to tell us otherwise I would guess this is something similar at a higher (but not cask strength) proof that they are looking to get a few extra bucks for. 

A 38% rye mashbill, if that is correct, is a lot of rye though! Not sure what the typical mashbill of the distillate Breckenridge presumably makes on their own is.

Of course I am always willing to try an offered sample! But at $60 I don't think it is likely that I will be a buyer.

35 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Of course I am always willing to try an offered sample! But at $60 I don't think it is likely that I will be a buyer.

This is exactly the thought I had today, Bruce. I actually stopped in at one of the Virginia ABCs nearby that had this in stock. It is 2 year age stated, a blend of straight bourbons. It says nothing about being a true cask strength, so I am not sure why they settled on 105 proof. I'd like to try it myself too, but you can get a lot of nice bottles for $60, so I decided to pass for now. I can't picture it flying off the shelves. There are still some Belle Meade single barrels here that are absolutely fantastic that are still languishing on the shelves nearby, and I'd much rather get another one of those for roughly the same price than take a flier on the Breckenridge, even if it is made with that legendary Rocky Mountain Water!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.