Isaac Bowman Port Barrel Finished

JoeTerp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/8/2017 at 4:33 PM, VAGentleman said:

This is now out at the distillery.  They said it would be in the ABC stores in VA in the next 1-2 weeks. 

Its a little thin not hot at all. The nose has some sweetness to it but the palate isn't close to too sweet. Some fruitiness comes out mid palate, maybe plum? Fades to a nice spiciness and maybe some maple syrup on the very end. Not bad. Wish it was a little higher proof(its 92). You can definitely tell its 4 years old as it doesn't have the depth of some of the older aged Abrahams that were port finished. I definitely like this better tan angels envy.  Lets see how I like it over the next week or two

Thanks for the update here.  I'm curious about this one, but I'll wait until it hits the ABC (hopefully it's a big enough release to not be a big concern here).  I'll save my next trip down to Fredericksburg for the next AB release.

6 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Thanks for the update here.  I'm curious about this one, but I'll wait until it hits the ABC (hopefully it's a big enough release to not be a big concern here).  I'll save my next trip down to Fredericksburg for the next AB release.

When I was at the distillery I thought they said it was going to be a regular release but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

When I was at the distillery I thought they said it was going to be a regular release but I could be wrong.

Looks like distribution started either Thursday or Friday last week (and maybe a case per store).  

22 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Looks like distribution started either Thursday or Friday last week (and maybe a case per store).  

I just did a search on the website and the closest bottle is 73.8 miles from me in Montpelier. The price is right tho at $39.99.  Maybe they started distribution in central Virginia and they're working outwards? :D

I've been drinking this for the past several days and continue to like it.  The maple syrup notes I noticed at first have morphed into a werthers original caramel note.  I will admit there was one night where I tasted strawberry jam and didn't like it but that was an outlier, must have been an off night

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

I just did a search on the website and the closest bottle is 73.8 miles from me in Montpelier. The price is right tho at $39.99.  Maybe they started distribution in central Virginia and they're working outwards? :D

I think it's just that they did first delivery for the stores that regularly get Friday deliveries.  I'm fairly certain that it's arriving in a bunch of NoVa store tomorrow.

20 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I think it's just that they did first delivery for the stores that regularly get Friday deliveries.  I'm fairly certain that it's arriving in a bunch of NoVa store tomorrow.

The only thing my store got today was Blade and Bow. I passed.

On 11/14/2017 at 7:23 PM, DCFan said:

The only thing my store got today was Blade and Bow. I passed.

I did end up picking up one of these from my store today (I think they got 6 bottles in on Tuesday and I had the manager put one on hold for me).  The VA ABC site lists that a bunch of local stores still have 3 or less, so I'm pretty sure it's been distributed around.  You may want to check the site and see if other stores in the area got it.

19 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I did end up picking up one of these from my store today (I think they got 6 bottles in on Tuesday and I had the manager put one on hold for me).  The VA ABC site lists that a bunch of local stores still have 3 or less, so I'm pretty sure it's been distributed around.  You may want to check the site and see if other stores in the area got it.

Unfortunately for me, the convenient stores don't have it.  Hence, I am now formulating excuses for being away from home for a couple hours.  You'd think after 47 years of marriage I'd be man enough to just tell her I'm going out to buy bourbon dammit.  Not so.  Take note, Tadpoles - SHE who must be obeyed will still be in charge long after WE become bald.  OTOH, SHE is much more tolerant and forgiving now than when we were wed.

But, I still like playing the game and thinking I am getting away with something.^_^  And, so does SHE.:D

• I like it 1

On 11/13/2017 at 10:10 PM, VAGentleman said:

I've been drinking this for the past several days and continue to like it.  The maple syrup notes I noticed at first have morphed into a werthers original caramel note.  I will admit there was one night where I tasted strawberry jam and didn't like it but that was an outlier, must have been an off night

I concur in how nice this is for 92 proof and about 4 years.  As I posted elsewhere, I picked up 3 of the 12 the store had on hand @ $40 per (although my Black Friday discount took that down to $32 per).  While a few of the port-finished bourbons I have had were heavy-handed, this one is not.  Earlier in this thread, Angel's Envy was mentioned.  I found our AE just a little too sweet neat although my wife liked it, and it did work well in cocktails calling for simple syrup so I could just reduce the SS accordingly.  The Isaac's mouthfeel to me is as creamy and full as good port which belies its 4 years.  I am glad I bought 3 (as we'll be serving it at Christmas) and even happier to hear it may be a regular release.

• I like it 1

• 2 years later...

A very nice pour!   I saw this today at Circle Liquors in Somers Point, NJ (the venerable business that supplies dry Ocean City with its hooch).    I like that the bourbon isn't overwhelmed by the port finish.    The port note blends well with the sweet note of this quality BT-derived bourbon.   I'm sipping it side by side with a Wyoming Double Cask as sunset approaches,  and I declare 'em both winners.   Finished bourbon makes for a great change of pace.      

Edited by Jazzhead

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.