WhistlePig "farmstock" rye

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well at least they admit what it is this time! That is something I suppose.

Indeed they talk more about the fact that the original stuff is Alberta rye in this blog and video than they did when it first came out! At that time it was super secret "Vermont" whiskey of course. Now it finally is. Well, some of it.

20% 1yo rye from their own distillate. Yes, I said 1 year old.

31% MGP 12yo. The same MGP that was used in the Old World series.

50% Alberta distilled rye. The kicker? 5 years old.

And it can be yours for only about $85!

As always I am more than happy to try it if offered. But not much chance I am going to be a buyer of this one. Even if it is a "triple" terroir....

I'm a fan of the WhislePig 10 year, but this doesn't sound very interesting.

In generally I don't like these super young craft whiskeys so I'll probably pass on this until they get some real age on it.

I wonder if this means the 10 year is going to go away?

I'll pass on this one  It will be interesting when it's fully matured WP distillate, but that's years away - better ways to spend that dough 

This would sound intersting at $40-$45. Because it isn't too dissimilar in its ingredients from Hochstadter’s Vatted Straight Rye Whiskey, which I love.  

But this is legally and technically a 1 year old whiskey! At 42% ABV! For $80! GFYS, WP. 

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

I'm no mathematician by any means, but doesn't that add up to 101%?

My mistake. The 5yo Alberta rye is 49%.

12 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

This would sound intersting at $40-$45. Because it isn't too dissimilar in its ingredients from Hochstadter’s Vatted Straight Rye Whiskey, which I love.  

But this is legally and technically a 1 year old whiskey! At 42% ABV! For $80! GFYS, WP. 

That it has very young whiskey in it by itself is not necessarily what would make me hesitate. The Compass Box "Three Year Old" is an example of that. But the CB makes up 1% while the accompanying whisky is 20+ years old as I recall.

But the 1yo in this makes up a full 20% of the whiskey. Nearly 70% is 5yo or less! And bottled at an abysmally low proof. And they want $85? Pretty audacious even for WP (although that is unusual for the nasally groundhog). But for me no thanks, I will pass. 

Let the flippers fight over this one. Maybe they will get stuck with it!

Obviously their 10yo is straight rye by US standards. But I wonder if that 5yo Alberta is straight rye...or if it is exactly Alberta Premium...

Here, I basically made myself some WP Farmstock the other day! I just needed to add someone's rubbish bubblegum and sawdust flavored  1 yo rye to the mix and I'd have been really close!

20170307_205049.jpg

3 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

Obviously their 10yo is straight rye by US standards. But I wonder if that 5yo Alberta is straight rye...or if it is exactly Alberta Premium...

Well, they specifically call the Canadian component "straight rye" on the back label of the Farmstock, so I assume that it's produced to the same spec as the 10yr. Regardless, I'm not terribly interested at this price point and 86 proof.

With 10 year barrel proof store picks being in good supply and $70-$80 here, I can't imagine why I would ever want this...

I wonder if they are running low on stock of the "normal" stuff and releasing a new filler product.  Seems like a strange combination to put together.

22 hours ago, 0895 said:

With 10 year barrel proof store picks being in good supply and $70-$80 here, I can't imagine why I would ever want this...

I wonder if they are running low on stock of the "normal" stuff and releasing a new filler product.  Seems like a strange combination to put together.

Not everyone is the in the demographic of people here on SB, I know a few people who are pretty excited to try WP's juice so this will be a must buy for them.  I agree the price is crazy and there is no value to a purchase but some people are fans of WP and will buy it. Ultimately in my opinion they should have gone the SA route and done a 375 of their own juice at a lower price point instead of trying to pass an 86 proof blend off as a premium product.

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Not everyone is the in the demographic of people here on SB, I know a few people who are pretty excited to try WP's juice so this will be a must buy for them.  I agree the price is crazy and there is no value to a purchase but some people are fans of WP and will buy it. Ultimately in my opinion they should have gone the SA route and done a 375 of their own juice at a lower price point instead of trying to pass an 86 proof blend off as a premium product.

You're not really trying WP's own distillate though as 80% comes from elsewhere. 

10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

SA did themselves no favors by releasing a raw, young, and subpar early whiskey in the Yearling series, IMO.  It did nothing but remind me that their own distilled bourbon efforts are not much more than any of the hundreds of other new distilleries who call their bourbon efforts "craft", but to me are simply just not good.  I will agree with you on the their astute selection of a 375 ml bottle size, though, because I would have hated to have spent double on a 750 that would still be 90% full...At least those 375's don't take up much room in my storage.   ;)

SA did themselves no favors by releasing a raw, young, and subpar early whiskey in the Yearling series, IMO.  It did nothing but remind me that their own distilled bourbon efforts are not much more than any of the hundreds of other new distilleries who call their bourbon efforts "craft", but to me are simply just not good.  I will agree with you on the their astute selection of a 375 ml bottle size, though, because I would have hated to have spent double on a 750 that would still be 90% full...At least those 375's don't take up much room in my storage.   [emoji6]

It might have done a fine job helping them move their SAOS 7 10 and BP stock...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I'm not a buyer but there are people who are, and yeah I realize it isn't all their juice but there are definitely people here in the northeast that will be interested in this. There is a whole crowd out there who like the craft stuff, somebody is buying that stuff otherwise half of these outfits, particularly the older ones, would have folded by now. In some respects they probably stand a better chance of selling it at a higher price since ill informed buyers will view it as "premium". 

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I'm not a buyer but there are people who are, and yeah I realize it isn't all their juice but there are definitely people here in the northeast that will be interested in this. There is a whole crowd out there who like the craft stuff, somebody is buying that stuff otherwise half of these outfits, particularly the older ones, would have folded by now. In some respects they probably stand a better chance of selling it at a higher price since ill informed buyers will view it as "premium". 

I have no doubt it will sell, and I agree with you that the premium price probably helps. The bourbon enthusiast community regularly poops all over Baby bourbon, but that stuff sells and a lot of people like it. 

2 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I have no doubt it will sell, and I agree with you that the premium price probably helps. The bourbon enthusiast community regularly poops all over Baby bourbon, but that stuff sells and a lot of people like it. 

Yep exactly, and honestly that is fine with me, when my brother comes over he drinks whatever craft stuff is around and I'm happy to let him have it.

2 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I'm pretty convinced that those folks don't know what they like, and they certainly don't know what's good.  Every location has a local distillery at this point selling "craft" 1-2 year old rubbish, and folks line up to tell each other how "smooth" it is. As though that's a thing. 

I was talking to a liquor store salesman recently. Interestingly, it's one of the outfits which combine to form Caskers.com... Anyway, were chatting over some bottle with a "story" on it. I was telling him I couldn't give AF about the family, the water, the history and such. None of that means a damn thing to me. Use the bottle to tell me the age, and mashbill and where it was distilled, you know, production information. He informed me that while he personally agreed, I was only 1 in 100 buyers. Everyone else cares about whose great-grandfather came up with what secret recipe in 1850 using local grain and water, while being sold MGP product.

45 minutes ago, IncredulousNosco said:

I was talking to a liquor store salesman recently. Interestingly, it's one of the outfits which combine to form Caskers.com... Anyway, were chatting over some bottle with a "story" on it. I was telling him I couldn't give AF about the family, the water, the history and such. None of that means a damn thing to me. Use the bottle to tell me the age, and mashbill and where it was distilled, you know, production information. He informed me that while he personally agreed, I was only 1 in 100 buyers. Everyone else cares about whose great-grandfather came up with what secret recipe in 1850 using local grain and water, while being sold MGP product.

Certainly one of the more astute liquor store salesmen out there! Most know little more than what shelf it is on.

But that sounds about right. Although 1 in 100 buyers may actually be a bit generous!

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Although 1 in 100 buyers may actually be a bit generous!

Based on the efforts of the guys at Total Wine who always try to sell me NDP and Terrepure whiskey despite the fact that they know that I know what I'm doing, I believe you are correct. It pays off for them often enough they must assume I'll crumble and get stupid like the other 99.

• 3 years later...

BIG, HARRY-ARSED BUMP!  WP Farmstock Rye No. 3, 86 proof, with a label that says its contents are 52% 3YO Vermont straight rye aged in Vermont oak with a #4 char (batch PD06), 31% 6YO Canadian rye (batch 225)(??? what this mean???) Char 3, and 17% 10YO Canadian rye (batch 1040)(ditto what it mean) char #3.  Says it is "Aged, Bottled by GoAmericaGo Beverages, LLC, Shoreham, Vermont" (again, what THAT mean??).

The shelter in place guidance/rules/admonitions have me spending an inordinate amount of time staring into my bunkers.  I have a TON of ryes in there which is surprising to me  AND is why I pulled this one down and opened it.  As Paddy and some others may remember, early on I was not a rye person and asked for lots of help in figuring out how to drink it neat instead of only in cocktails.  This was in the "SALE" bin a couple of months back so I grabbed it just "because".  It's not bad.  It only has a hint of youth.  I figure the whole thing will be consumed neat.  Not bad?  HECK!  I like it.

• I like it 2

On 5/1/2020 at 4:09 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

BIG, HARRY-ARSED BUMP!  WP Farmstock Rye No. 3, 86 proof, with a label that says its contents are 52% 3YO Vermont straight rye aged in Vermont oak with a #4 char (batch PD06), 31% 6YO Canadian rye (batch 225)(??? what this mean???) Char 3, and 17% 10YO Canadian rye (batch 1040)(ditto what it mean) char #3.  Says it is "Aged, Bottled by GoAmericaGo Beverages, LLC, Shoreham, Vermont" (again, what THAT mean??).

The shelter in place guidance/rules/admonitions have me spending an inordinate amount of time staring into my bunkers.  I have a TON of ryes in there which is surprising to me  AND is why I pulled this one down and opened it.  As Paddy and some others may remember, early on I was not a rye person and asked for lots of help in figuring out how to drink it neat instead of only in cocktails.  This was in the "SALE" bin a couple of months back so I grabbed it just "because".  It's not bad.  It only has a hint of youth.  I figure the whole thing will be consumed neat.  Not bad?  HECK!  I like it.

The PiggyBack has become my new favorite from WP

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 2

17 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

The PiggyBack has become my new favorite from WP

I am sipping on some right now (after several hours of yard work, mostly walking behind a self-propelled mower or sitting on a four-legged stool hacking at Russian Olive roots - damn them!!) and a shower.  This stuff is nice and rich, great mouth feel, and just a HINT of mint, no mint bombing here at all.  And at 86 proof, i won't fall asleep before dinner.;)  If I still smoked, I'd be sitting outside with a Butera Bravo Corto and thishere glass.  Nirvana, bourbon/rye Zen, whatever.  The sound you hear is me going "AAAAAAHHHHHHHH . . ."

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.