Knob Creek 25th Anniversary

miller542
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^I drink my KCSB at around 115 proof, and don't see any reason to change a thing.  Most of the private selections around here are already in the age range for this release, so you already know what I'm gonna do...

...keep buying KCSB

10 hours ago, flahute said:

You sir are a wise man. 

I have a 12 year here locally so I'm going to do the same.

Enjoy it.  Unfortunately KCSB is special order only (min 1 case) in Utah not to mention no private selections.  So the 25th is probably the best some of us are going to get.  At $130 it's still cheaper than special ordering a case of KCSB and then hoping the case you get is from a single barrel you like.

We have a store that picked a 13.5 year old barrel that they are expecting next week. $45 a bottle. It's the high end of the range for standard KCSB but I'll pay the premium for the age and store selection.

22 hours ago, Charlutz said:

We have a store that picked a 13.5 year old barrel that they are expecting next week. $45 a bottle. It's the high end of the range for standard KCSB but I'll pay the premium for the age and store selection.

I picked up a bottle of KC Single Barrel that was store picked at 13 yrs. 9 mos. and it is spectacular.  If the 13.5 that's coming in is anything like mine then that will be $45 well spent.

Edited by CardsandBourbon

On 3/17/2017 at 0:03 PM, CardsandBourbon said:

I picked up a bottle of KC Single Barrel that was store picked at 13 yrs. 9 mos. and it is spectacular.  If the 13.5 that's coming in is anything like mine then that will be $45 well spent.

I have picked up several of that same selection (13yrs. 9 mos.) and it is a fantastic selection.  Intend to go back and buy some more before they are all gone.  Oh, and sorry about your Cards, thought they were final four for sure.

On 3/21/2017 at 10:29 AM, Kyjd75 said:

I have picked up several of that same selection (13yrs. 9 mos.) and it is a fantastic selection.  Intend to go back and buy some more before they are all gone.  Oh, and sorry about your Cards, thought they were final four for sure.

Well in the NCAA tournament it's a one shot deal so one bad half can kill you.  Also, all of that bottle you and I are enjoying so much is now gone.

• 2 months later...
59 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

This has made it's way into Virginia

Not sure about Virginia, but I know it is out in the wild here in NC.

As always, I'm interested in hearing others thoughts on this when they taste it.

Can't say I'm pining for it at the price though. Too many great single barrels out there to justify the price of this one.

Looks like distribution has hit.  Anyone brave enough to sample this yet?  After the 2001, I am taking a wait and see approach.  The few reviews I have read it sounds like there are some large barrel variations.  

If this is anything approaching the Bookers 25th, I will grab a bottle or two for the holidays.  

17 minutes ago, GreggJ said:

Looks like distribution has hit.  Anyone brave enough to sample this yet?  After the 2001, I am taking a wait and see approach.  The few reviews I have read it sounds like there are some large barrel variations.  

If this is anything approaching the Bookers 25th, I will grab a bottle or two for the holidays.  

If they will let me trade a "slightly used" KC 2001 for about three of these then I would consider trying it. I would at least feel (a little) better about the money I burned on the KC 2001!

just picked this up today. 

IMG_8103.thumb.JPG.7c1b2438bcefd946e0f2342e66518faf.JPG

Nice! Pretty low proof on that one. Planning to open it up anytime soon? I'm curious how these are...a friend of mine offered to pick one up for me and I declined, since I've been fortunate enough to acquire some good KC store picks recently.

I think I'll pass on this at that price. As many have already said, too many good KCSiB PS choices out there in the 12-13 year range for under $40 to even consider this high priced marketing gimmick. At $75, I might be interested. I bet I'll see these sitting on the shelves everywhere for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just picked up a store pick that's only slightly younger for $45. I don't see paying 3x that for a few extra months in age. 

On 6/2/2017 at 0:20 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

If they will let me trade a "slightly used" KC 2001 for about three of these then I would consider trying it. I would at least feel (a little) better about the money I burned on the KC 2001!

THIS!  I asked the manager of the VA ABC store about ordering this so I didn't have to drive an hour to get one at a VA ABC Store that had several and got such a hassle, I decided to take the money and buy FIVE KC 9yrs instead in WashDC.  FWIW, my KC 2001 is long gone, and like Bruce, I shoulda bought basic KC for the bunker instead of THAT.  Live and learn.

But that's just me.B)

I got an email from one of my favorite stores today. They had received a limited quantity of KC 25th Anniversary and are offering one per person while supplies last for the low price of $148. I decided to let someone else have my bottle...maybe I'll pick up 4 more bottles of their over 13 year old KCSiB PS instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I got an email from one of my favorite stores today. They had received a limited quantity of KC 25th Anniversary and are offering one per person while supplies last for the low price of $148. I decided to let someone else have my bottle...maybe I'll pick up 4 more bottles of their over 13 year old KCSiB PS instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent idea IM not so HO.B)

The 12 year, 10 month old PS I just picked up is awesome and it was $40. The barrel proof on the sample was 133.8 but they obviously bottled it at KCSB's standard 120.  The KC 25th seems to have a pretty low barrel proof. Anyone know how many different barrels are being released as 25th?

I'd definitely pass on this if I was presented the opportunity to purchase.

The 12 year, 10 month old PS I just picked up is awesome and it was $40. The barrel proof on the sample was 133.8 but they obviously bottled it at KCSB's standard 120.  The KC 25th seems to have a pretty low barrel proof. Anyone know how many different barrels are being released as 25th?

^This I mean what is JB thinking? There's nothing with this offering that distinguishes it enough from the standard KCSB to justify paying 3-4 times the price.

If it was maybe $20 more than yeah, it almost like there trying to piss off loyal customers.

Well I've asked for this as a Father's Day present, so I'm certainly willing to give it a chance. 

I agree with a lot of whats being said here.  I see lots of comments regarding the relative value or lack there of but, I am wondering has anyone tasted the juice?  I really enjoy KCSB and would be interested in hearing folks thoughts.  

I have been in the skeptical camp here. I too think the store pick KCSBs have represented an under the radar value lately, and have bought several lately between $30 to $50. I've told myself that 3-4 of those is a much better way to spend $130 or whatever the 25th is going for. So I've passed this on shelves so far. 

But, on of the people I have a lot of faith in locally in terms of palette just told me he thinks the 25th is amazing. Now I feel like I need to at least try a pour, if not pick up a bottle. That said, this is a single barrel product, so there will be variation. Maybe he just hit on a particularly good barrel? Research will be in order

Just how good was it?

[emoji6]

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Just how good was it?

emoji6.png

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I think it's REALLY good. Doesn't taste like KC..but it's good. Really delicate, with vanilla on the palate and a spicy finish. You get a tiny bit of that Beam peanut thing but the heat is really low.

So I tried this today. Highly viscous. Coats the mouth. Very smooth for the proof. Clearly better than Knob 2001. Definitely the best Knob I have had. Is it twice as good as ECBP? No. But could you justify paying ~$130 for this in today's environment? Yeah if you buy those kinds of bottles. I would easily pay $130 for this before paying for any Orphan Barrels of any variety, or WTMK, Blood Oath, etc. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.