Knob Creek 25th Anniversary

miller542
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:30 PM, BottledInBond said:

So I tried this today. Highly viscous. Coats the mouth. Very smooth for the proof. Clearly better than Knob 2001. Definitely the best Knob I have had. Is it twice as good as ECBP? No. But could you justify paying ~$130 for this in today's environment? Yeah if you buy those kinds of bottles. I would easily pay $130 for this before paying for any Orphan Barrels of any variety, or WTMK, Blood Oath, etc. 

$130 would likely make it a tougher decision to pass. But that is still about 3x the cost of some very nice store picks I have had recently. $100-$110 might make it a buy just to be able to try it for myself. The $160-$170 I have seen it going for make it a no go for me (so far! Never say never...).

Edited by tanstaafl2

Bottled in Bond was kind enough to give me a sample. I really liked it. $130 is definitely steep. I plan on doing a blind SBS with a 12.5 year store pick I recently got. 

• 3 weeks later...

Opened my 121.1 last night.  Not very special.... the others opinions of tasting similar to regular KC 120 are right on.  I have store picks that are much better.   This one opened up nicely with a touch of water and was good. But not great and not worth the extra $$$$.

My TW has it for $140 I think. They have a KCSB, 12 or 13 years old rolling in and I think I'm going to buy that instead. 

Come across these in WV but just too high for my cheap self

IMG_4449.thumb.JPG.71c2f87e5a2bb38ff146c8d96ad8cc1a.JPG

Lol only $70 in markup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, briankeith513 said:

Lol only $70 in markup.

The store had a nice selection but all the LE or any higher end item was close or above secondary prices

The store had a nice selection but all the LE or any higher end item was close or above secondary prices

Smh, yeah I’ve seen places like that here, in the Atlanta area. Nice to go inside and see all of the LE bottles, but the prices make it almost untouchable.

• 1 month later...

I've recently bought several good KC120 Single Barrels ranging from $36-$38 per bottle. Ran across a KC25th that was just over 122 proof at $105 per bottle. It's been a while since anyone posted on this one. In the past I would have pulled the trigger without blinking, but held up. Just seeing if there are any new opinions on this release.

Cheers,

Jeff

On 8/12/2017 at 1:51 PM, Louisiana said:

I've recently bought several good KC120 Single Barrels ranging from $36-$38 per bottle. Ran across a KC25th that was just over 122 proof at $105 per bottle. It's been a while since anyone posted on this one. In the past I would have pulled the trigger without blinking, but held up. Just seeing if there are any new opinions on this release.

Cheers,

Jeff

"On paper" it doesn't justify the cost BUT the real test is the taste.  Unfortunately, I can't help you since I haven't tasted it.   I actually haven't even seen it on the shelf yet.

IMAG2277.jpg

Not quite a turd yet, but its definitely sitting around for the most part.  Even at decent prices.

I think people are scared after being burned by 2001.

Edited by 0895

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

IMAG2277.jpg

Not quite a turd yet, but its definitely sitting around for the most part.  Even at decent prices.

I think people are scared after being burned by 2001.

I'll admit I probably would have caved and bought it at that price.

I find it in about every upper level shop for $120 plus. But they all seem to have plenty of it. 

• 1 year later...

Methinks the distributors (at least here in the Bay Area) are dumping the Knob Creek 25th.  I've seen it marked down to $99 in two stores this week.  I hope Beam learned their lesson on the pricing of this.  It was good - just not $130 good and thus has been sitting on the shelves for over a year.  I got two a year ago for $100 each and felt that I overpaid so we'll see if that's the market clearing price.  I know I'm not buying more at that price.  $75?  Maybe...

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

I hope Beam learned their lesson on the pricing of this. 

They did.

It wasn't expensive ENOUGH to make it seem special.

See: Booker's 30th @$350 MSRP

Class dismissed

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

They did.

It wasn't expensive ENOUGH to make it seem special.

See: Booker's 30th @$350 MSRP 

Class dismissed

Hmm.  Everything I've read says that msrp is $200 and I'll bet it sells out instantly at that price.  I've not seen it available anywhere so, probably priced right.  More than I'd want to pay but not destined to be a shelf turd like KC 25th by any means. 

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

Hmm.  Everything I've read says that msrp is $200 and I'll bet it sells out instantly at that price.  I've not seen it available anywhere so, probably priced right.  More than I'd want to pay but not destined to be a shelf turd like KC 25th by any means. 

MSRP on Bookers 30th is $200

7 hours ago, fosmith said:

Methinks the distributors (at least here in the Bay Area) are dumping the Knob Creek 25th.  I've seen it marked down to $99 in two stores this week.  I hope Beam learned their lesson on the pricing of this.  It was good - just not $130 good and thus has been sitting on the shelves for over a year.  I got two a year ago for $100 each and felt that I overpaid so we'll see if that's the market clearing price.  I know I'm not buying more at that price.  $75?  Maybe...

I think the bigger problem is that they let some great barrel picks go that were 14 years (or close to that) and they generally sell for $40 - $50.  The KCSB while not cask strength are generally pretty close to the cask strength so there isn't a huge difference to the 25th.  I know that my bottle of 25th only clocks in at 61.8%, so that wouldn't be much water to cut down to 60%.

9 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I think the bigger problem is that they let some great barrel picks go that were 14 years (or close to that) and they generally sell for $40 - $50.  The KCSB while not cask strength are generally pretty close to the cask strength so there isn't a huge difference to the 25th.  I know that my bottle of 25th only clocks in at 61.8%, so that wouldn't be much water to cut down to 60%.

I agree.  I think the 25th would have flown off the shelves at $70 - $80.  But at 2.5x KCSB store pics price, it didn't offer enough extra to justify it. 

Yes this was the problem with the KC 25th. That being said what’s so different about Booker’s 30th to cover the similar price hike over the standard product? The Booker’s 30th is very popular. I think part of the allure is that it’s not so readily available.

22 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

MSRP on Bookers 30th is $200

Ah, OK. Sorry in the early daze 350 was mentioned.

I've never seen any for sale.

Pleased to hear it's 200. Far less egregious

Found one in a (chain) store on Christmas eve but was told it "wasn't for sale".  Same chain sold it for $200 when it was released. I wasn't going to buy it, but at least wanted to know $. I had asked about any LEs for Christmas eve and they said they didn"t have any. They also said they "don't ever do that" even though they put 4RSmBLE out last Christmas eve.  I spotted the Booker's 30 behind the counter and asked "what about that?" and that's when I was told it wasn't for sale. So sick of LS bs.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

Found one in a (chain) store on Christmas eve but was told it "wasn't for sale".  Same chain sold it for $200 when it was released. I wasn't going to buy it, but at least wanted to know $. I had asked about any LEs for Christmas eve and they said they didn"t have any. They also said they "don't ever do that" even though they put 4RSmBLE out last Christmas eve.  I spotted the Booker's 30 behind the counter and asked "what about that?" and that's when I was told it wasn't for sale. So sick of LS bs.

I think I may have told that person something like this....

'Take a really good long look at this face, buddy; because you will NEVER see it in here again, you fool.'

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.