Restaurant Bourbon List What Would You Get

HoustonNit
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Mods sorry if this is in the wrong spot if so please feel free to move.  

My wife and I going this weekend for dinner at restaurant where the head chef is a big bourbon guy, he's really into Weller 12, has cases of it and keeps a flask of it on him.  I've attached a link to the drinks menu pricing definitely seems overpriced but it's somewhat the norm for Houston.  I'm thinking about getting some ETL which seems like the most reasonable price and then maybe some of the barrel proof EC or CEHT.  I really don't get the pricing though ODG114 is $18 for 2oz pour while ETL is $14.  Is there something that stands out that you think I should try, trying to get ideas.  Also do people really pay $297 for a pour of Pappy?  

http://www.onefifthhouston.com/media/uploads/one_fifth_listweb2.27.17.pdf

Cheers

Blanton's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's $28 that seems way over priced compared to ECBP at $18.

Pricing doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.  Based on that list and "relative" pricing I'd probably go with CEHT Barrel Proof.  I have ECBP already at home or that would probably be 2nd choice.

It is of course pretty much all over priced but that is swanky restaurant pricing for you. Sounds like the ETL and/or the W12 would be as reasonable as it gets being near the bottom end of the price range. The Old Forester 1920 seems priced relatively well compared to its typical retail cost that is up around $55 or so.

Kind of surprised that if they consider themselves bourbon knowledgeable that the list the source for Smooth Ambler as unknown. It is not a big secret where it comes from.

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

Pricing doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.  Based on that list and "relative" pricing I'd probably go with CEHT Barrel Proof.  I have ECBP already at home or that would probably be 2nd choice.

Yeah, pricing is a bit odd and I agree that all things considered the CEHT BP is also not terrible.

Those prices are nuts, I might buy a pour of CEHT Barrel Proof just because I never see bottles in the wild but, I would stick to beer on that menu.

^Pricing is definitely nuts but I'll probably still get a pour of ETL and likely CEHT BP since I've never had either and how hard it is to get some.

I've got a 2.5 year old at home and don't get out much might as well enjoy myself.

People... Yes. Me... No. Go with what you can't buy/find that you've been curious about. No reason not to get ounce pours

1 minute ago, HoustonNit said:

^Pricing is definitely nuts but I'll probably still get a pour of ETL and likely CEHT BP since I've never had either and how hard it is to get some.

I've got a 2.5 year old at home and don't get out much might as well enjoy myself.

Can't argue with that logic!

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Same age as my little monkey

A fun read somewhat related an article from Esquire that has a list of must haves from the chef.

Pretty ridiculous list but interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/amp36871/10-unique-whiskeys-bourbon-collector/

Not sure if I can trust a list that includes Willet Pot Still. The list is two years old and he might have been brain washed after visiting the distillery.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/amp36871/10-unique-whiskeys-bourbon-collector/

Same age as my little monkey

Little Monkey is a perfect description of mine.

If I were to splurge a bit, Michter's 10YR. If not I'd go with the OF 1920. I've not tried either of them.

Edited by CaliER

First and foremost, I would enjoy the alone time with your wife.  The bourbon list is interesting but it is secondary to enjoying a good meal and some drinks.

I would look to try something that might difficult to find, that you haven't tried, and that a whole bottle might be out of your price range.

If you haven't tried ECBP, I would look at that one.  If you think you might want to try ETL, I would suggest considering RHF instead.  Not a big price difference but a slightly higher on the desirable list.  However, you can't go wrong with ETL, OF 1920 and WL12, if you haven't tried those.

I would also ask if they might have some private selections that are new and not on the menu.  Sometimes restaurants do private selections and offer specials.

No matter what you chose you will enjoy it.  

Have a great time!

Edited by mbroo5880i

If you want to try something different that you've never had before, that's fine and dandy, but there's one thing you might want to take into consideration. It won't do you any good to try something that you think you might really like, but then won't be able to find. :mellow: 

Joe

^Joe you make an excellent point. I guess if love it I could just keep going back and run up a huge bar tab.

3 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

^Joe you make an excellent point. I guess if love it I could just keep going back and run up a huge bar tab.

I've never done that before, even at company parties. (cough cough) :unsure: Well maybe only once, or twice, or.....awwwww just forget it. 

Cheers! Joe

I've gotten to the point where I order whatever the cheapest bourbon is that I truly enjoy (unless there's something that I absolutely, positively, have to try that I'll never, ever see again and won't be able to live without). I'm tired of paying prices that just don't make sense to me. 

That being said.....if I HAD to pick something from that menu, I'd go darkside and have the Ardbeg Supernova :P

41 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I've gotten to the point where I order whatever the cheapest bourbon is that I truly enjoy (unless there's something that I absolutely, positively, have to try that I'll never, ever see again and won't be able to live without). I'm tired of paying prices that just don't make sense to me. 

That being said.....if I HAD to pick something from that menu, I'd go darkside and have the Ardbeg Supernova :P

It figures you'd go to the dark side. ;)

Blanton's

Elmer T. Lee

Weller 12

Booker's

I just laughed when I saw the Jerry Jones Private Selection.

Thanks for asking. I look forward to seeing what you order and what you enjoy.

Here is what I would lean towards purchasing 2 oz pours of, off of the list...

1792 Single Barrel - a bargain for a single barrel
CEHT Barrel Proof - good price for barrel proof
Old Forester 1920
Rock Hill Farms - not a bad price for a quite difficult to find bottle

I also love that VOB BIB is on their list

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Skip Blanton's. Their charging half the bottle price.

If Weller 12 is impossible for you and you've never had it, then that's a good choice.

Same with Taylor BP and ECBP. (I can find both of those at the store so if it was me, I'd skip them).

OF1920 is a great bourbon and that's a relatively good price.

Booker's is also a good buy at that relative price.

I would go with either EH Taylor Barrel Proof, Weller 12, or Rebel Yell 10 Year, but those are all three that I've never had the pleasure of trying (and not crazy overpriced).

My general advice would be to try either something new, or something that you know you love, but can't find a bottle of.  And most importantly stay within a price range that your comfortable with.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.