OWA acronym conundrum

BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So after buying my first bottle of the Weller Antique 107 today, I had a little frustration. Should we still be referring to it as OWA? The new label does not call it Old Weller Antique anymore. Just Weller antique 107. I know, I know it's blasphemous to suggest no longer using OWA, but it no longer accurately abbreviated the name of the product. What say ye?

If we are changing it, I recommend "MIA" because that is a better description

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I think I suggested  WA107 in a thread about the new labels. Yeah I wish I could FIND it no matter what you call it. I'm guilty of hoarding (or do we only call it bunkering here?) the stuff.

I've only found two bottles locally.  Both are in my cabinet now.  Still haven't seen any W12.  I think WA107 would be the way to refer to it.

I think it would depend on which bottle you're referring to as well.

If I'm drinking OWA, I'm gonna say: "OWA"

If I'm drinking the new bottle,  I'll probably say "WA107"

4 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

If we are changing it, I recommend "MIA"

You sir, are hilarious.

I think we should leave it as OWA. The bourbon is still the same unless and until BT says they took the 'old' off for a specific reason. One of the principal reasons for the standardization of acronyms is so that the forum is easily and effectively searchable. I don't think a bottle redesign is enough of a change to split up the search terms. It is unlike EC12 and ECNAS, e.g., where the change in acronym signifies an actual change in the bourbon. My two cents. 

42 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I think we should leave it as OWA. The bourbon is still the same unless and until BT says they took the 'old' off for a specific reason. One of the principal reasons for the standardization of acronyms is so that the forum is easily and effectively searchable. I don't think a bottle redesign is enough of a change to split up the search terms. It is unlike EC12 and ECNAS, e.g., where the change in acronym signifies an actual change in the bourbon. My two cents. 

I agree with Charlie.  Bourbon acronyms need not be up to the minute accurate.  Unless we decide that it is actually an entirely new product replacing OWA, it makes sense to leave  it for historical continuity.  That said, if someone decides we need to change it, the only acronym even worth considering is New Weller Antique = NWA.  

11 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

I agree with Charlie.  Bourbon acronyms need not be up to the minute accurate.  Unless we decide that it is actually an entirely new product replacing OWA, it makes sense to leave  it for historical continuity.  That said, if someone decides we need to change it, the only acronym even worth considering is New Weller Antique = NWA.  

Ha, I love it!

If we're voting, I cast my ballot for sticking with OWA.   ...If for no other reason than trace-ability backwards through the old threads.

I just thought I'd be the arsehole that tells everyone that these labels are not acronyms anyway. They're, in most all cases, initialisms.

On 3/18/2017 at 4:35 PM, IncredulousNosco said:

I just thought I'd be the arsehole that tells everyone that these labels are not acronyms anyway. They're, in most all cases, initialisms.

OK - you WIN!    :P

On 3/18/2017 at 2:08 PM, Richnimrod said:

If we're voting, I cast my ballot for sticking with OWA.   ...If for no other reason than trace-ability backwards through the old threads.

I agree with Rich... IF the bourbon hasn't changed. If they had removed an age statement or made some other significant change then I'd say it needs to be noted, but this (AFAIK) is still the same OWA with a new bottle and label.

Edited by JTaylor
AFAIK - As far as I know

On 3/18/2017 at 4:35 PM, IncredulousNosco said:

You are right.  And correct.

What about something ala Prince ("the bourbon formally known as OWA", or TBFKAOWA)?  

With this being NAS, who can say if it is different from OWA.  But - being the geeks that we are - if feedback starts to suggest that it IS different, I would be in favor of changing the name for the sake of clarity.  

I was looking for the reference list of abbreviations, and couldn't find the damn thing, in which case it may not matter as long as folks know what you're talking about (so - if you don't think there is a difference, keep calling it OWA; but if you want to specifically make sure everyone knows you're referring to the new stuff because you think it is different, call it something else like WA107).   

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:30 AM, Charlutz said:

Of course there was a time not so long ago when OWA was in fact an aged stated 7yo bourbon. The abbreviation didn't change so I see no reason it should change now.

You could always just call it "new" OWA as versus "old" OWA! And I suppose the interim was really NAS OWA. So perhaps the current one is really new NAS OWA...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.