Leathery Whiskey

EarthQuake
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The more whiskey I try the more I begin to realize that I enjoy whiskeys that have a distinct leather note. I've been going through a bottle of I.W. Harper 15 which I quite like, and I've previously had a bottle of the Orphan Barrel Barterhouse which I believe is basically a 20 year version of the IWH15 which was nice. I've had a pour of the Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 22 which I quite liked as well, which again is from a similar source from what I understand. I've also had Thomas H Handy in a bar, which was the absolute best Rye I've ever had and featured a very distinct leather note to it. 

I've had Elijah Craig, both the standard bottling and the barrel proof, and I liked those somewhat but they but I am not the biggest fan.

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for leathery Bourbons or Ryes that I should try, preferably those that can be reasonably found.

I'm also curious to know, if any of the experts here wish to opine: Where does the leathery note come from? I would think mostly from age, but that doesn't explain how Handy can have such a strong leather note at just 6 years old.

Thanks

Edited by EarthQuake

I find Blanton's SFTB to have a distinctly leathery note (which does indeed come from the oak influence in most cases, I think), though it's not especially an old bourbon.  Dusty Wild Turkey like 90's Rare Breed and any 12 year-old will have it.  I think Michter's BP Rye and the low-proof (which means low entry-proof) SAOS Single Barrels show it a lot, too.

SFTB is probably, like Handy, about 6 years old.  I think in younger whiskies the leather is a function of the quality of the casks, as well as the lack of chill-filtration.

Edited by Guardian Enzo

16 minutes ago, Guardian Enzo said:

I find Blanton's SFTB to have a distinctly leathery note (which does indeed come from the oak influence in most cases, I think), though it's not especially an old bourbon.  Dusty Wild Turkey like 90's Rare Breed and any 12 year-old will have it.  I think Michter's BP Rye and the low-proof (which means low entry-proof) SAOS Single Barrels show it a lot, too.

SFTB is probably, like Handy, about 6 years old.  I think in younger whiskies the leather is a function of the quality of the casks, as well as the lack of chill-filtration.

BSFTB is something I would love to try, but it seems hard to find it for less than 2x MSRP. Dusty WT is probably out of the question too but I would love to try that if given the chance.

Michter's BP Rye and SOAS SB are on my short list of things to try and seem to be relatively easy to find, thanks for the suggestions!

I just ordered a bottle of Redemption 8 year BP which I'm excited about, I tried it in a bar and I'm a little fuzzy on it but it seemed to have some elements of what I liked in the Handy.

Cask quality, or perhaps the char level of the cask (?) would seem to make sense. Filtration method too, the non-chill filtered whiskies that I've tried tend to have a richness and boldness of flavor to them.

Edited by EarthQuake

Not easy to find since it was discontinued several years ago but Vintage Bourbon 17. Literally the best damn bourbon I ever tasted and my most prized bottle in the cabinet. If you ever do run across it buy it. Since it was a sourced bourbon YMMV on each bottle but it was universally liked here IIRC. Mine is like a strong old leather jacket. 

5 hours ago, oke&coke said:

Not easy to find since it was discontinued several years ago but Vintage Bourbon 17. Literally the best damn bourbon I ever tasted and my most prized bottle in the cabinet. If you ever do run across it buy it. Since it was a sourced bourbon YMMV on each bottle but it was universally liked here IIRC. Mine is like a strong old leather jacket. 

That sounds lovely. I wish I would have gotten into whiskey 10 years ago.

On 3/18/2017 at 10:59 AM, Guardian Enzo said:

I'll second the recommendation for older WTRB. I haven't tried the newest iteration but I thought that even batch WT-03RB (which isn't as old as it may sound, as it was the current batch number until just a couple years ago) had a nice leathery note. You may still be able to find it hanging around in some stores.

The Henry McKenna 10 Year has a touch of that leathery thing going on, but my palate usually picks up the leathery notes on younger whiskies/bourbons and whiskies high in barley.

I've been getting a leathery/tobacco hint while drinking Dickel 12 lately. I'll also recommend WTRB as the others have.

Edited by emr454
spelling

I get the leathery note in Barterhouse and Forged Oak. I did not notice that note in my IW Harper 15, however.

I don't know if anybody would agree with this but I just cracked open OGD BIB and it had some of that dusty saloon, leathery, brothel taste to it.

Thanks guys! Henry McKenna, WTRB and Dickle 12 are all pretty easy to find here so I'll have to put them on the list to try out. I've been meaning to try OGD as well, specifically the 114, but I can't find it here and the shipping cost is usually the same as the bottle, so I'll probably add it onto an order the next time I buy something online from a store that has it as well

I had a pour of Lock Stock and Barrel 13 year rye in a bar recently and it had a lovely mix of fruit and leather that I really, really liked, so I will probably pick up a bottle of that sometime soon as well.

DeepCover: It's interesting that you didn't get leather from Harper 15, as I feel like it's really prominent and my wife who has a much better sense of smell and taste than me picked it up too. Perhaps some variation in bottles/batches.

Edited by EarthQuake

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.