6+ year, 100+proof, $25 or under regular mashbill?

JPK
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey gang,

Do any of you know of a pour that has been aged 6 or more years, is 100 proof or more, has regular mashbill, and is $25 or less?

I'm looking for a regular mashbill that would fit in between things like Weller Antique(which I believe used to be a 6yr)  and say Old Ezra.

I just can't think of one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by JPK

By "regular" mashbill I assume you mean a rye bourbon mashbill.

In that category, HH6yr BIB if you can find it. WT101 (it may have some 5yr in it but has more 6 and 7yr in it).

I think Heaven Hill BIB 6yr fits the bill. Henry McKenna Single Barrel is close but probably a few dollars more than $25.

thanks guys. By "regular" mashbill I meant a non high rye, non wheated.

I wish HHBiB was available round these parts. but that would fit in with what I'm looking for.

Any other ideas?

1 minute ago, JPK said:

thanks guys. By "regular" mashbill I meant a non high rye, non wheated.

I wish HHBiB was available round these parts. but that would fit in with what I'm looking for.

Any other ideas?

WT101 and Old Ezra 7yr are all I can think of at that price point. I'm probably missing one.

Fighting Cock. Used to be 6yr age stated, but no longer. Fits your other criteria though.

I'd recommend trying pretty much any BIB bourbons in your area, most of which (other than CEHT and Old Forester) should be under $25. If you don't want high rye, stay away from Old Grandad. I don't know what your threshold is for "high rye", though. I love WT 101, but you may consider that high rye. If you aren't tied to a 6 year age statement, you have more options. HH BIB is great, but if you don't have Henry McKenna, you won't have HH BIB. Without knowing the price ranges in your area, I have a hard time pointing you towards specific bottles.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I love WT 101, but you may consider that high rye. 

WT is very much in the low rye spectrum. 

I believeFighting cock has a higher than normal rye % too. I've never had it. but it does seem to fit in with what I'm looking for except the higher than average rye.

To be honest...I'm not sure what the threshold would be either Oldfitz. I consider WT101, Old ezra, and OGDBIB to be high rye.

I like em...but I do consider them high rye.

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

WT is very much in the low rye spectrum. 

Really?

I thought they advertise it as a high rye?...I could be wrong but for some reason I thought WT was high rye.

Edited by JPK

5 minutes ago, JPK said:

Really?

I thought they advertise it as a high rye?...I could be wrong but for some reason I thought WT was high rye.

They're at about 13%. Same as Heaven Hill and Beam, lower than Old Forester, higher than BT mashbill #1 (which is speculation since that's not published).

Everyone is lower than Four Roses (except MGP which is similar to 4R with some of their mashbills).

oh ok. Well I wouldn't consider 13% to be HIGH rye...that's for sure.

I stand corrected...lol

I've had WT101 and I found it to be slightly thin in mouthfeel and I noticed quite a bit of rye taste to it.

Though I fully admit my mind "knowing" that it was a high rye may have skewed my taste.

Though it may have been a lack of other flavors to balance out the taste as well....it's been a while.

I might have to get reacquainted with it.

Right now I'm really liking this bottle of old ezra. Quite a bit of sweet and a nice thick mouthfeel.

I was hoping to find something much like it with slightly less rye.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Edited by JPK

32 minutes ago, JPK said:

I believeFighting cock has a higher than normal rye % too.

I don't think so.  HH only has one rye recipe, so I think it's the same as all their others, which isn't high rye.

13 minutes ago, JPK said:

I've had WT101 and I found it to be slightly thin in mouthfeel and I noticed quite a bit of rye taste to it.

There are other ways to get the spice flavors that we associate with rye. How it's distilled, yeast, barrel char level, and aging conditions all contribute.

that's for certain

No matter how much research you do...

Seems there are no substitutes for actual tasting.

Mentioned several times up-thread I'd stick with WT 101.     Always a nice pour, likely well under $25 most areas, age is close or above (on average) to your 6-year requirement.    Can't go wrong with WT 101.    On of my frequent go-to pours whenever I just want a good Bourbon in my glass and don't care to get too deep into the nuances.

Depending on where you live you should be able to find EC NAS and Russell's Reserve around $30, which I think are both excellent bourbons.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

EWBIB could be a candidate . . . it is stated as "aged at least 4 years" . . . could be 6 . . . ?  I like OE101, but give the nod to EWBIB.  Virgin 101, VOBBIB are possibles.

Edited by Swoboda

good thoughts guys.

Thank you

EWBIB is one I haven't thought of in quite a while.

I like EWB and it has become my cheap goto...in fact it was my 1st handle purchase about 2 weeks ago...lol

EWBIB (if memory serves) is much more light and fruity than EWB. Doesn't have the carmel and char.

Haven't had it since I started the bourbon trail...might be time for a revisit on that one too.

I looked up Virgin before. It sounds tasty..but alas Michigan hasn't seen it.

Another bottle that almost reaches my "wants" and seems to be less known is Big House. It's 6yr 90 proof for about $23 in these parts.

I think I'm definitely going to pick up a WT101 and do a SBS with OE101.

The OE101 has been going down fast.

If I could just find something just like it with a hair less rye but with the same fairly high sweetness and thick mouthfeel and proof I'd be a happy sipper.

For $25 you can get 2 of the VOB BIB. Yeah, the 6 yr age statement has gone by the wayside but I'd guess it's still pretty close. IIRC it's around 15% rye

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.