Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sbsbsb

Buffalo Trace - mashbill #1 and yeast questions

Recommended Posts

sbsbsb   
sbsbsb

I know it's rumored to the be Old Charter mashbill, but when did BT actively start distilling the #1/low rye masbill on site?  Was it after 1990?

 

Somewhat ancillary to that, when did AA/BT begin using box/dry yeast?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sbsbsb   
sbsbsb

Almost 50 views and no responses?  I know it's not as exciting as determining whether or not to keep using the "OWA" acronym, but come on guys!  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2
23 hours ago, sbsbsb said:

I know it's rumored to the be Old Charter mashbill, but when did BT actively start distilling the #1/low rye masbill on site?  Was it after 1990?

 

Somewhat ancillary to that, when did AA/BT begin using box/dry yeast?

 

I am not sure that anyone knows either answer right off the top of their head. I know I don't!

 

Sazerac first bought Buffalo Trace, then known as the George T. Stagg distillery, in about 1991 and Buffalo Trace whiskey first started showing up in the late 90's so there is a good chance the current BT mashbill didn't start until the early 90's.

 

As for box yeast I don't have a clue how long they have used it. It was in use the first time I went to the distillery but that was only about 5 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute   
flahute

BT did some contract distilling for Old Charter before they bought them so that mashbill may have been around longer than we realize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy   
Paddy

My two cents is, I'd say it's the same mashbill as Old Charter.  Like distilleries do, they just acquired what was already there.  There's been like at least 4 distilleries on the property, so I'm sure it's nothing new. 

 

Buffalo Trace does like to keep you guessing though, so they'll never give it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod   
Richnimrod

I'll chime in; though I have zero actual knowledge to answer the question(s)...

The facility MAY have been using the same mashbill even way back when (way before Buffalo Trace was even thought of) before the distillery was closed; and the 're-opened facility' (under the BT name) may have only renamed the flagship brand.    I don't KNOW this to true.    I wonder if anyone has any clue that it it ISN'T true?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy   
Paddy

To Rich's point, here's an interesting look back into the SB.com time machine. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jsrudd   
jsrudd

Here is a discussion of early BTAC. According to this thread, Chuck Cowdery says that BT began to distill mashbill #1 in 1992. Prior to that, it was only BT mashbhill #2.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flyfish   
Flyfish
5 hours ago, jsrudd said:

Here is a discussion of early BTAC. According to this thread, Chuck Cowdery says that BT began to distill mashbill #1 in 1992. Prior to that, it was only BT mashbhill #2.  

 

 

Now, that's  linguistically and mathematically fascinating! BT used #2 before they used #1. It's like telling your wife, "No, Dear, there were no women in my life before you. You've always been my #1."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod   
Richnimrod

Thanx for those linx, guys.    I'm pretty sure I did read these; yet had zero reccollection during my following of this thread....

Once more proving that the ole squash ain't what it used to be.    ...Assuming it ever was what I think it used to be.    HA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sbsbsb   
sbsbsb

Thanks to everyone for the comments and the links.  The thread referenced above (which I also posted in) is partly responsible for me posting these questions.  I still think it's possible that some of the early GTS was AA (mashbill #2) distillate.  Those earliest releases, per the fact sheets, were distilled in the late 80's.  Though I guess it could be the Charter/#1 mashbill as well.

 

Regardless, I'm left wondering if all that early BTAC stuff, which was distilled in the 80's, was made with a wet/jug yeast, as opposed to the dry/boxed yeast that's used today...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute   
flahute
1 hour ago, sbsbsb said:

Thanks to everyone for the comments and the links.  The thread referenced above (which I also posted in) is partly responsible for me posting these questions.  I still think it's possible that some of the early GTS was AA (mashbill #2) distillate.  Those earliest releases, per the fact sheets, were distilled in the late 80's.  Though I guess it could be the Charter/#1 mashbill as well.

 

Regardless, I'm left wondering if all that early BTAC stuff, which was distilled in the 80's, was made with a wet/jug yeast, as opposed to the dry/boxed yeast that's used today...

The early Stagg was definitely Old Charter that had been contract distilled. It could be mashbill #2. It could also be mashbill #1 which became theirs after the acquisition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×