What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Kicking off the season with a line up of HH expressions, EWBiB, HH6y, HMcK10yr. I must say I prefer the HH the others are good as well but the 6yr just has the right balance of everything when directly compared to the other 2. I seem to prefer younger vintages of HH as I was never much for EC12 and the McK is good but I was hoping for something more to my personal preference which the 6yr provides very nicely 

Don't know yet.  Have to finish Pole Vault practice before determining my libation for the evening. 

Here's to change, growth, and the cycle of life! Happy spring! Prohibition is over. Cheers!

32d0fc9644d7fc6daaa0c753f9cff972.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Don't know yet.  Have to finish Pole Vault practice before determining my libation for the evening. 

If I'm going to try pole vaulting I will DRINK FIRST!

For me it was Benchmark to start and just poured another glass of the A117 ECBP that I'm having trouble getting into.  Letting this sit in the glass for a bit before I taste it.  Previous attempts have found it and Oak Bomb and that's about it of course YMMV.

'Twas a dusty evening at my favorite establishment across from the office. Started with Old Charter Proprieter's Reserve and boy o boy is this one special. Hadn't had it in a long time. This is a dusty old library kind of beautiful pour. Followed with Ancient Age Barrel 107 10yr. One of my favorites from that era. Finished with Old Charter 7yr old BIB.

All three of these were singing and hitting all the right notes.

2 hours ago, Hop said:

If I'm going to try pole vaulting I will DRINK FIRST!

I coach it I don't do it.  My best vaulter is the current state champion from last year.  Looking forward to a repeat.

Rewatching the Cardinals put it on the Lady Vols and enjoyed a pour of ECSmB.  Love the way the caramel develops as it opens up.

Edited by CardsandBourbon

After drying out for a few days (since Saturday:blink:), I felt like I'd reward myself with a decent pour.  I settled on a HM BIB, which is proving to be a nice interplay between warm cinnamon, tobacco and dry oak.  I've never enjoyed HM BIB quite as much as EC12, but once opened... they sure don't last long.  :D

8 minutes ago, flahute said:

^^^^^^^^This is all quite true

Me thinks it's the eeesy peezy screw top and easy pour bottle.  :D

Sticking with the HH theme this evening, started the night with some EC18. Then decided to polish off the last of some 1792 High Rye.

16 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Here's to change, growth, and the cycle of life! Happy spring! Prohibition is over. Cheers!

32d0fc9644d7fc6daaa0c753f9cff972.jpg

I guess I need to open my bottle.

Had some Culver's root beer last night so got home and put some Bourbon Cream in it for an adult root beer float. Yum.

51 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Had some Culver's root beer last night so got home and put some Bourbon Cream in it for an adult root beer float. Yum.

Root beer and Bourbon Cream is awesome.  

Root beer and Bourbon Cream is awesome.  

I really enjoyed that combo at the tasting following the Buffalo Trace Distillery tour. I usually stay away from soda pop (other than an occasional ginger ale), but I may need to buy some cans or root beer and a bottle of Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream.

The McGillicudy's root beer they sell at the shop is great with the bourbon cream.  We have it at tailgate parties all the time.

I know this stuff gets hated on, but I think it's alright.

Got this as a gift in a 3 pack w/ the rye and 4 grain.

Definitely young, but it tastes like other young "craft" whiskey I've had before.  Similar feelings for what I think of Smooth Ambler's "Yearling".

Probably wouldn't want a 750ml, but I'll finish this 200 off no problem.

IMAG1888.jpg

Old Fitz BIB. Really has grown on me. Thought it was a bit astringent at first but now I'm regretting only buying one at 16.99. I'll grab more next time I get to my mom's place for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonight I drink one of my favorites, EC NAS. Tomorrow I am going to the Amorphis concert with@fifeman and he may let me sample his ECBP.

bee1d2737b15a4c4e57af2e9986d4bb4.jpg

14 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Tonight I drink one of my favorites, EC NAS. Tomorrow I am going to the Amorphis concert with@fifeman and he may let me sample his ECBP.

bee1d2737b15a4c4e57af2e9986d4bb4.jpg

I still have yet to try EC NAS. I had a bottle in my hand last week but put it back in favor of a liter of Larceny. Runs about $27-28 in my area.

I still have yet to try EC NAS. I had a bottle in my hand last week but put it back in favor of a liter of Larceny. Runs about $27-28 in my area.

That sounds like a great price to me. Sometimes I name some of my favorite bourbons. The EC NAS is one of my "The Wise Men Bourbons" - along with Russell's Reserve 10 Year and Four Roses Single Barrel. I don't know why I named them that. It seemed like a good idea after having healthy pours of all 3. I can also find them all locally for around the same price (although Russell's Reserve is higher when Costco doesn't have it).

EC, both the 12 year and the NAS have never disappointed me. I highly recommend it. I enjoy Larceny, but I actually prefer EC NAS to Larceny (and I prefer Old Fitzgerald BIB over Larceny, but that should surprise nobody).

@emr454 led me to name drop Old Fitzgerald BIB, @BMartin42 savors it tonight, and@fifeman texted me that he drinks some Old Fitzgerald BIB right now, so I figured why not create some bourbon synchronicity. I raise my glass in an Old Fitz BIB toast! Cheers!

735d620cd419359ddf96e14e81319c78.jpg

Edited by OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
Correct some OlD Fitz BiB induced typos

I sit here thinking about the extraordinary versatility of VOB BIB 6yr as I sip it neat out on the front porch.  Great whiskey guts to provide a strong backbone in cocktails, where I use it often.  With its proof and age, it easily handles on the rocks options, where I drink it mostly.  And, it's floral/sweet/thick/dried flower/leather dance while drinking neat makes it a very nice sipper, where I unfortunately fail to appreciate it enough.  All this, in a $15 whiskey.  The price is almost laughable...

31 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Sometimes I name some of my favorite bourbons. The EC NAS is one of my "The Wise Men Bourbons" - along with Russell's Reserve 10 Year and Four Roses Single Barrel. I don't know why I named them that.

Wise man knows you dont have to spend a lot of cabbage on a great quality bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.