What bourbon did you purchase today? (Spring 2017)

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

40 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Sometimes KY is the most shopped out, you can check out Ocean Breeze in Frankfort.  Obvious options in Louisville would be Liquor Barn. A couple of non-chain options would  be Westport Wine and Whiskey (a little expensive but stellar store selections) and Evergreen (Shelbyville Road).  

These are all of the places I was going to suggest in Louisville. One last place to check off 64W at the Hurstbourne Rd exit is Kroger Wine & Spirits. You would be surprised at what they might have. Of course you could be surpised at what isn't there as well but worth a shot.

Staying in Frankfort KY with the family tonight... Planning on touring Buffalo Trace tomorrow before heading back to Missouri. Hit a couple liquor stores this evening to grab some bourbon we don't get in MO. Grabbed a few fifths of Heaven Hill 6yo BiB and some Very Old Barton BiB.

Was hoping to grab some Old Fitz BiB but struck out at Red Ball and at Capital Cellars... Anyone have suggestions on other places to check? Will be taking I64 back tomorrow if there's anywhere along that corridor to make a quick stop.

Ok I've unfortunately not been to Kentucky however I've had some good look finding somewhat uncommon bottom shelvers like Old Fitz BiB. You need to go to the somewhat less traveled bourbon spots. Someone here mentioned finding Old Fitz at a drive thru store. Quick google search I found Moore's Liquor a bar and liquor store with a drive thru. Place looks awesome and I think worth a stop just for something different, check yelp on it. I've also had luck at at stores close to municipal or run down golf courses in older not so nice areas.

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

It is a free market and retailers can sell how ever many bottles to whomever they wish and whatever price they wish.  However, if I were a retailer and I had a product that I knew was in demand and allocated, I would limit the number of bottles a single person could purchase.  I would want to allow as many customers as possible to be able to pick up a bottle.  I would also refuse to sell a bottle to anyone I knew was a flipper.  I know a few shop owners who are very astute at identifying flippers so they limit what they make available to them.  In the end flipping hurts retailers too since it attracts consumers to a secondary and illegal market.

I agree 100%. 

8 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I visited a local Bourbon Hole today and came home with a Blanton's Store Select, Eagle Rare Store Select and a KCSB Store Select.  

Would this be the hole on Rural?  Did you sample the Blanton's pick?  I've been wanting to try it, but haven't seen Ray the last few times I stopped in.  Most of the employees aren't allowed or willing to pour a sample. -_-

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

If it's any consolation, I haven't seen any Weller 12 around here in a long time either J. I have one each of the new label bottles of OWA and Weller SR, but I'd really like to find at least one of the new label bottles of Weller 12 to complete the set. I do have a couple of the old label Weller 12's that I have no problem opening. The only reason I'm hesitant is that I'll probably use at least one of them for the next batch of my own Weller Blend for our Sampler next spring

Cheers! Joe

I tried several places this week & Im guessing the W12 just hasnt hit yet. As stated above, Stagg Jr is everywhere, & the other Wellers are quite common, as is Blantons. Also been looking for the new ECBP, but to no avail.

13 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

Would this be the hole on Rural?  Did you sample the Blanton's pick?  I've been wanting to try it, but haven't seen Ray the last few times I stopped in.  Most of the employees aren't allowed or willing to pour a sample. -_-

It was.  Unfortunately, I did not try a sample.  Ray happened to be there when I went in and he offered a sample.  However, I had to head back to work so I took a pass. I haven't opened the bottle yet since I already have another Blanton's open.  I did open the KCSB and it is really good.  I get the feeling he doesn't like his employees behind the bourbon counter with so many open bottles. :mellow:

It was.  Unfortunately, I did not try a sample.  Ray happened to be there when I went in and he offered a sample.  However, I had to head back to work so I took a pass. I haven't opened the bottle yet since I already have another Blanton's open.  I did open the KCSB and it is really good.  I get the feeling he doesn't like his employees behind the bourbon counter with so many open bottles. :mellow:

I'm sure the Blanton's is good...It's a "try before you buy" thing for me though.  The FR OESK 10y 4mo is excellent if you haven't had it.

1 minute ago, Nm0369 said:

I'm sure the Blanton's is good...It's a "try before you buy" thing for me though.  The FR OESK 10y 4mo is excellent if you haven't had it.

I completely understand.  I am not certain what hours Ray is in.  I don't get over there very often.  They have a great collection of FR BPs.  The price is pretty good for them too!

I completely understand.  I am not certain what hours Ray is in.  I don't get over there very often.  They have a great collection of FR BPs.  The price is pretty good for them too!

When I was there in January I think he had at least 7 of the recipes and an absolutely delicious 10 year OBSK. 

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2017 at 10:39 AM, Journeyman said:

I bought a few bottles last night.  The Rhetoric 23 was a hard choice, since it costs a lot more than the Rhetoric 22 I found last year.  I'm guessing the 24 year old will be even an bigger jump, so I think I'll stop with just the pair.

rhetoric23_staggjr_etl.jpg

I was doing a search and found your post with the Rhetoric 23.  There's an ABC store that's 15 miles from me that lists an inventory of 9 bottles of this stuff ($109.99) and was wondering if it was worth the drive to liberate them of one of their bottles?  Thanks and if anyone else wants to opine, go for it. :)

I went out and bought the Rhetoric.  How often do you get a chance to drink 23 year old bourbon? Paid $109.99. 

IMG_0014.JPG

15 hours ago, DCFan said:

I was doing a search and found your post with the Rhetoric 23.  There's an ABC store that's 15 miles from me that lists an inventory of 9 bottles of this stuff ($109.99) and was wondering if it was worth the drive to liberate them of one of their bottles?  Thanks and if anyone else wants to opine, go for it. :)

I haven't opened mine yet so can't comment from personal experience.  But the reviews I've seen online have been generally positive.  Good luck with the decision!

...just saw your post right above this.  Looks like a done deal. :)

Edited by Journeyman

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2017 at 8:47 AM, PowderKeg said:

What's agravating is over the past couple + years I've seen less than a 1/2 dozen W12 750s and bought only one (from the back room after all but begging)- I refuse to feed the bourbon pimps at double to triple+.  Over the past month + I've seen over a dozen RY10 and bought 3 (leaving more) on shelves.  Maybe 1/2 dozen being pimped at @ triple, rest at @ list/release.

Not knocking RY10, just continually frustrated by the dearth  (for years) of W12 at retail.  Same goes for RHF, ETL, OWA, all the 1792 variants (other than SmB), and to a lesser extent Stagg Jr.  Dang that Sazerac....

This is only my second post but this sentiment along with Google is what led me here. So many easy to find bottlings have become casper the ghost, and not for a few months or a year.....but going on years now. How do some of yall reach Zen? Lol. 

I realized yesterday that I was out of some staples so I grabbed a HMcK 10, ER10, RR10/90, and a Rittenhouse BIB. All for less than the price of whatever the lasted Jefferson's finished monstrosity is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

This is only my second post but this sentiment along with Google is what led me here. So many easy to find bottlings have become casper the ghost, and not for a few months or a year.....but going on years now. How do some of yall reach Zen? Lol. 

To state the obvious, if they have become Casper the ghost, I guess they aren't really easy to find bottles anymore. Every location is different, and while there are the true limited editions that will always be hard to find and buy at retail no matter where you live, many of the others are hard to find because of the obvious demand, but also due to the distiller/distributor allocations and the selling regulations in your particular location.

It amazes me when I see the low regular retail prices that some people pay in states that have low liquor taxes and allow just about any store to sell liquor. The control states also have advantages and disadvantages too. The prices are usually reasonable, and you do find stuff on the shelf sometimes that is hard to find elsewhere. Of course some of those control states use lotteries for the LE and high demand stuff, which limits your options within the state. In my state of Tennessee, we have our issues too: relatively high liquor tax and sales taxes, no corporate ownership of liquor stores and distributors who determine what stores get what and when under constantly varying conditions.

You have to accept the conditions you live in and make the best of it. If you travel, try to take advantage of the situation in other states or cities that may provide opportunities you don't have where you live. You will still get frustrated because you can't find a bottle of something that it seems like everyone else is finding in other places, but there is a lot of really good bourbon readily available between $20-$50 just about everywhere. While it is true that much of the current "in-demand" and LE bourbon is good, in many cases they just offer subtle differences over the more readily available and less expensive offerings. Quite frankly, in many cases, the LE stuff isn't worth the substantial premium charge, but that's the case with many premium choices in life. Having said all this, do I still look for LE stuff...absolutely, but I will seldom pay above retail, and even when I do, I'm only going to be willing to pay a small premium for something very desirable that I've never had the opportunity to try before. And if I don't get an opportunity to buy that "unobtanium" bourbon that I seek, I enjoy the many other options that I have that are available to me.

For those seeking W12, ETL and other similarly priced bourbons, which are not LE bourbons, but just in high demand, there are usually many alternatives to be found that are just about as good or maybe even better. Be patient and try some of the others out there. I'm also in the camp that thinks there is going to be plenty of really good bourbon available within the next five years, so don't despair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out and about yesterday, and of course I had to make a couple of stops. One place had two bottles of VOB BIB on the shelf. I just couldn't pass, so I bought one and left one behind.

Cheers!  Joe

12 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

To state the obvious, if they have become Casper the ghost, I guess they aren't really easy to find bottles anymore. Every location is different, and while there are the true limited editions that will always be hard to find and buy at retail no matter where you live, many of the others are hard to find because of the obvious demand, but also due to the distiller/distributor allocations and the selling regulations in your particular location.

It amazes me when I see the low regular retail prices that some people pay in states that have low liquor taxes and allow just about any store to sell liquor. The control states also have advantages and disadvantages too. The prices are usually reasonable, and you do find stuff on the shelf sometimes that is hard to find elsewhere. Of course some of those control states use lotteries for the LE and high demand stuff, which limits your options within the state. In my state of Tennessee, we have our issues too: relatively high liquor tax and sales taxes, no corporate ownership of liquor stores and distributors who determine what stores get what and when under constantly varying conditions.

You have to accept the conditions you live in and make the best of it. If you travel, try to take advantage of the situation in other states or cities that may provide opportunities you don't have where you live. You will still get frustrated because you can't find a bottle of something that it seems like everyone else is finding in other places, but there is a lot of really good bourbon readily available between $20-$50 just about everywhere. While it is true that much of the current "in-demand" and LE bourbon is good, in many cases they just offer subtle differences over the more readily available and less expensive offerings. Quite frankly, in many cases, the LE stuff isn't worth the substantial premium charge, but that's the case with many premium choices in life. Having said all this, do I still look for LE stuff...absolutely, but I will seldom pay above retail, and even when I do, I'm only going to be willing to pay a small premium for something very desirable that I've never had the opportunity to try before. And if I don't get an opportunity to buy that "unobtanium" bourbon that I seek, I enjoy the many other options that I have that are available to me.

For those seeking W12, ETL and other similarly priced bourbons, which are not LE bourbons, but just in high demand, there are usually many alternatives to be found that are just about as good or maybe even better. Be patient and try some of the others out there. I'm also in the camp that thinks there is going to be plenty of really good bourbon available within the next five years, so don't despair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're correct. I should have said bottlings that where easy to find are now casper. I have a few bottles that I like and that can usually be found on the shelf but most of the Bourbons I started drinking back in 06/07 are pretty much gone now. Age statements killed or so highly allocated it is rediculus. This summer I've been drinking FR small batch, KCSB and Larceny pretty regular. They are compromises though compared to what I used to drink regularly. 

You're correct. I should have said bottlings that where easy to find are now casper. I have a few bottles that I like and that can usually be found on the shelf but most of the Bourbons I started drinking back in 06/07 are pretty much gone now. Age statements killed or so highly allocated it is rediculus. This summer I've been drinking FR small batch, KCSB and Larceny pretty regular. They are compromises though compared to what I used to drink regularly. 

I like all of those you mention as compromises, but I don't really see them as compromises. I agree that the loss of age statements is frustrating, but I think we will see some come back as higher priced alternatives in the not too distant future. And some of the NAS batches are better to some people's palate than they were before, so I think there's room for both. FR and KC single barrel private selections are relatively inexpensive and are also readily available in many liquor stores in my area, and the age is usually stated or known by the store.

• 3 months later...
I have been searching and searching for any of the Wellers, Elmer T. Lee and any of the BTAC bottles. Today I found a store with about 6-8 bottles of ETL behind the counter priced at $129.99 each. Wow! I talked with one of the employees and he was very helpful. Told me they had Van Winkle 15 and 23 for a G wiz and a triple G wiz, not surprised. I left empty handed. Went to my regular store TW and asked about ETL, they're out of stock. Price was about $40 when they have it. So I grabbed their last bottle of CEHT small batch. Has quickly become one of my very favorites. I really enjoy this bourbon.

You know what...ETL is a nice bourbon, but it’s probably not any better than CEHT small batch. Of course if you haven’t tried it, there’s that itch that you want to scratch, so you continue to search for a bottle of ETL to know for yourself. I understand that, and I’m guilty of similar aspirations in seeking all of the BTAC and Pappy variations. I’m sure that if/when I get them, I’ll like them, but will probably also think about the much cheaper options that are almost as good and eventually achieve the sense of bourbon zen that I’m looking for. Cheers and good luck in your bourbon quest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CEHT is ok for sure.

I find it to be pretty mellow.

ETL is in line with EC and HM12 IMO.

I found a bottle of ETL  last year....

..glad I got to scratch the itch...but now the itch is gone and I doubt it will return.

I've got several bottles of each and would easily prefer the CEHT. But I found that out after chasing around ETL for quite a while so I understand the sentiment. I got lucky basically though, BevMo's near me all got a case the same week basically so I grabbed one from four different stores. Done with ETL for years at the rate I reach for it.

• I like it 1

I think ETL is pretty good, but not better than the BT stuff I can get (pretty much) any day of the week. CEHT, Blanton's, Eagle Rare. Same for the Weller line outside of WLW. I know some people really go nuts for this stuff, but I can't say I entirely understand why (W12 sells for over $100 on the secondary - I just gotta shake my head at that). Sometimes I wonder if it's the sheer scarcity that drives this, harder to get = better, right? That, or it's down to differences in taste I guess. I expect it's a bit of both though. I've been guilty of significantly overpaying for the privilege of getting something harder to find, a mistake I will try to avoid in the future, as it's usually a big let down when I realize I just paid 3x for something about as good as what I can go to the grocery store and buy.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 2

On 12/3/2017 at 6:47 PM, EarthQuake said:

I think ETL is pretty good, but not better than the BT stuff I can get (pretty much) any day of the week. CEHT, Blanton's, Eagle Rare. Same for the Weller line outside of WLW. I know some people really go nuts for this stuff, but I can't say I entirely understand why (W12 sells for over $100 on the secondary - I just gotta shake my head at that). Sometimes I wonder if it's the sheer scarcity that drives this, harder to get = better, right? That, or it's down to differences in taste I guess. I expect it's a bit of both though. I've been guilty of significantly overpaying for the privilege of getting something harder to find, a mistake I will try to avoid in the future, as it's usually a big let down when I realize I just paid 3x for something about as good as what I can go to the grocery store and buy.

Well said! The only ETL I've tried was a sample from someone very kind (you might know him :lol:) and while it good, I can't see myself ever running around trying to find it.

There are too many delicious "budget bourbons" out there to only hunt for LE's.

Cheers!

• I like it 2

Missed out on the BTAC and PVW lotteries so I picked up a JD BPSB and Michter's US*1 American whiskey to console myself...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.