What bourbon did you purchase today? (Spring 2017)

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Nice pickup.  I haven't seen any of those around my area.  Let us know what you think after a pour.

No difference in taste from the new dressed 1792 IMO, but I enjoyed seeing the pic.  It struck me that although it had been just a couple of years since the change,  it seems like a long time since seeing that one in a store.  

Picked up my first CEHT Smb this evening. Why have I passed this by for so many years?

20170328_200634.jpg

5 minutes ago, emr454 said:

Picked up my first CEHT Smb this evening. Why have I passed this by for so many years?

20170328_200634.jpg

Will you get another ?

24 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Will you get another ?

Honestly Ive only had one small pour after I got it home, but it was excellent. The 100 proof was well hidden. If the rest of the bottle continues like this, then I will definitely buy a replacement or two.

10 minutes ago, emr454 said:

Honestly Ive only had one small pour after I got it home, but it was excellent. The 100 proof was well hidden. If the rest of the bottle continues like this, then I will definitely buy a replacement or two.

I went several years without trying CEHT also. I regretted it and had no idea what I was missing.

15 minutes ago, emr454 said:

Me, too.  Interestingly, it didn't hit my sweet spot when it first came out, but I find the later releases to be very good.  Particularly, for the price.  Definite repeat purchase for me.

6 hours ago, emr454 said:

After dabbling around in all the EH Taylor's, the small batch is the only one I keep going back to.  Some days it just hits the spot dead on.  Really good bottle @ a decent price.

On 28/03/2017 at 2:44 AM, Government Beard said:

Wonderful. Hoping I can find a gold label when I go to Europe in May because there isn't any in these parts. 

Which part of Europe do you go to ? 

15 hours ago, emr454 said:

20170328_200634.jpg

Excellent choice. A favorite!

3 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Which part of Europe do you go to ? 

Iceland first (I don't expect to find anything there), followed by the UK for a few days, then taking the train over to France, and finishing up in the Netherlands. 

I've scouted the usual spots in London (Whisky Exchange and a few others) and will probably swing by Mason du Whisky in Paris. London stores supposedly keep Blanton's SFTB in stock so I am aiming for a few of those.

26 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Iceland first (I don't expect to find anything there), followed by the UK for a few days, then taking the train over to France, and finishing up in the Netherlands. 

I've scouted the usual spots in London (Whisky Exchange and a few others) and will probably swing by Mason du Whisky in Paris. London stores supposedly keep Blanton's SFTB in stock so I am aiming for a few of those.

You're better off waiting until you get to France or Netherlands for SFTB. Not many shops stock it in the UK and it's cheaper in either of the other countries by a fair amount (£85 in UK, £65-£70 in the others). LMDW 

23 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

La Maison du Whisky currently has it, though not sure how long it tends to stay in stock. If you've never been, I highly recommend going there even if you're able to get one London, just to see it in all its glory.

It's worth noting that there are two LMdW locations; the one on Rue d'Anjou has mostly whiskey, whereas the other location on Carrefour de l'Odéon has whiskey as well as a good selection of other spirits. Both are worth checking out.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Belgium is a good place to find those Blanton's, €70 a bottle, it's on the shelves in my only liquor store, nobody seems to rush to buy it. They have the Gold Edition too but cheaper. Have a nice trip in Europe. Hope you'll enjoy it. 

Cheers!

Will.

4 hours ago, Kpiz said:

La Maison du Whisky currently has it, though not sure how long it tends to stay in stock. If you've never been, I highly recommend going there even if you're able to get one London, just to see it in all its glory.

It's worth noting that there are two LMdW locations; the one on Rue d'Anjou has mostly whiskey, whereas the other location on Carrefour de l'Odéon has whiskey as well as a good selection of other spirits. Both are worth checking out.

1 hour ago, Masset1982 said:

Belgium is a good place to find those Blanton's, €70 a bottle, it's on the shelves in my only liquor store, nobody seems to rush to buy it. They have the Gold Edition too but cheaper. Have a nice trip in Europe. Hope you'll enjoy it. 

Cheers!

Will.

4 hours ago, beasled said:

You're better off waiting until you get to France or Netherlands for SFTB. Not many shops stock it in the UK and it's cheaper in either of the other countries by a fair amount (£85 in UK, £65-£70 in the others). LMDW 

Thanks Gents.

I am definitely dragging the old ball and chain to Maison (also known as one of the holy grails of all things we love). Looks phenomenal. 

My dilemma is finding something I want, Blanton's SFTB for instance, in London but waiting for France/Netherlands and getting skunked there. I might stagger it: buy one or two in the uK and see what France/Netherlands has. 

Again, thanks for the recommendations.

Cheers!

a family size jug of VOB BIB. haven't had any of this in quite a while. Was grocery shopping and saw this on the shelf at $23. They don't carry any HH BIB bottles, so I  grabbed it just cause I needed a cheap 100 proofer. Still prefer HH BIB's, but didn't feel like driving across town.

3 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Thanks Gents.

I am definitely dragging the old ball and chain to Maison (also known as one of the holy grails of all things we love). Looks phenomenal. 

My dilemma is finding something I want, Blanton's SFTB for instance, in London but waiting for France/Netherlands and getting skunked there. I might stagger it: buy one or two in the uK and see what France/Netherlands has. 

Again, thanks for the recommendations.

Cheers!

I was just in London and saw no SFTB. We met up with friends who went to Paris first and they had no problem finding the SFTB. 

Did a little dustyish hunting the Bookers bottle on the left has no date anyone know when they started dating the batches?

WP_20170329_21_09_27_Pro.jpg

Scored a EC12 age stated on back in 1.75, also a EC NAS. As I was leaving I met a guy whom was the owner of the liquor store. We had a short conversation about bourbon losing age statements. He mentioned that he might have somthing I'd like in the back. Left and reappeared a moment later with a bottle of EC18!  I couldn't turn it down !

The dates on bookers were somewhat recent, they had a numbering system you could decode to get the date. I think maybe 2014 they stopped

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

The dates on bookers were somewhat recent, they had a numbering system you could decode to get the date. I think maybe 2014 they stopped

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Dug around and found an explanation for the old labels in the comment section of Chuck Cowdery's blog, the label is C01-1-18 and it is 6 yrs 7 months apparently the C01 means it was barreled in Clermont in 2001, which means it was bottled around 2007, I paid $65 for that bottle which is actually the most I ever spent on a Bookers by $15, but I'm OK with it since that's what the current batches seem to be going for around here.

4 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

I was just in London and saw no SFTB. We met up with friends who went to Paris first and they had no problem finding the SFTB. 

Do you know if they scored them from Maison? 

2 hours ago, Clay Cline said:

Scored a EC12 age stated on back in 1.75, also a EC NAS. As I was leaving I met a guy whom was the owner of the liquor store. We had a short conversation about bourbon losing age statements. He mentioned that he might have somthing I'd like in the back. Left and reappeared a moment later with a bottle of EC18!  I couldn't turn it down !

Thats pretty awesome. Congrats. Speaking of EC12

picked up these two today. I love this stuff and when I run out I think I will develop serious withdrawals.

58dc8c2ee6428_Photoon3-29-17at9_38PM.thumb.jpg.58bda33f3fec709c8a83d0660aa32312.jpg

8 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

I frequent London quite often and can't say I've seen it anywhere other than online. 

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Did a little dustyish hunting the Bookers bottle on the left has no date anyone know when they started dating the batches?

WP_20170329_21_09_27_Pro.jpg

The Rittenhouse Rye is very nice for the price.

11 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Dug around and found an explanation for the old labels in the comment section of Chuck Cowdery's blog, the label is C01-1-18 and it is 6 yrs 7 months apparently the C01 means it was barreled in Clermont in 2001, which means it was bottled around 2007, I paid $65 for that bottle which is actually the most I ever spent on a Bookers by $15, but I'm OK with it since that's what the current batches seem to be going for around here.

I'd have bought it too at that price. You're right, that means 2001 barrel date, and bottled in 2007-ish. It's been sitting somewhere for 10 years. nice find! It'd be nice just to try side-by side with a newer batch, though I doubt you'll notice a difference. I once found a 1987 batch sitting on a shelf, though I've yet to open and try it. It is an 8 year old bottle, and I imagine it's a bit different than the current 6 year batches.

Booker's stopped those labels and started the new batch ID labels starting early in 2015. The box color changed as well, to a dark brown box. That makes it easy to walk in and spot a 2014 or older Booker's sitting on a shelf, just by seeing the natural pine-colored box.

29 minutes ago, Whiskey Dick said:

I'd have bought it too at that price. You're right, that means 2001 barrel date, and bottled in 2007-ish. It's been sitting somewhere for 10 years. nice find! It'd be nice just to try side-by side with a newer batch, though I doubt you'll notice a difference. I once found a 1987 batch sitting on a shelf, though I've yet to open and try it. It is an 8 year old bottle, and I imagine it's a bit different than the current 6 year batches.

Booker's stopped those labels and started the new batch ID labels starting early in 2015. The box color changed as well, to a dark brown box. That makes it easy to walk in and spot a 2014 or older Booker's sitting on a shelf, just by seeing the natural pine-colored box.

I should probably pick up one of the named batches before they are all crazy expensive, I have three bottles of 2013 batch 7 which if anyone is interested in I have a source for under $50, $47 actually I think, and the other bottle in the picture is a 2014 batch which I paid $55 for, I think 7 as well but not positive. The 2007 box is actually more of a honey colored box which you can't really see in the picture but it's different then all the other pine boxes I have, taller with that leather closure and a piece of plastic to hold the bottle in place instead of that rubbery glue stuff. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.