Willett 80th anniversary bottling

Gh3nghis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone tried the 2017 Willett 80th anniversary bottling.  I was planning on getting one when released in my area.  If they still have any by that time.  It is a small batch if I am not mistaken and not the usual single barrel.

1 hour ago, Gh3nghis said:

Has anyone tried the 2017 Willett 80th anniversary bottling.  I was planning on getting one when released in my area.  If they still have any by that time.  It is a small batch if I am not mistaken and not the usual single barrel.

Good Luck! 

I'm guessing, that other than a wallet full of cash, you'll need a very healthy dose of luck, as well.    My assumption is that it may well be extremely hard to find at any location, other than their gift shop...and probably very hard there, too.

I didn't know they were doing such a release.    What, if anything can you tell us about it?

I read they released it on Saturday at their gift shop for $35.  It is already hitting the secondary at 10x that.

I believe it is a small batch of their own 4 year old bourbon?

I'm not holding my breath to ever see one on a shelf.

I read they released it on Saturday at their gift shop for $35.  It is already hitting the secondary at 10x that.

I believe it is a small batch of their own 4 year old bourbon?

I'm not holding my breath to ever see one on a shelf.

It blows my mind that anybody would pay $350 for a small batch, 4 year old bourbon.

I wonder if it tastes good.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I find it ironic that a company celebrating 80 years only has 4 year old make to release as its own.

3 hours ago, dcbt said:

I find it ironic that a company celebrating 80 years only has 4 year old make to release as its own.

HA!   Too True!    It does seem strange.

But saying something like; "Our OWN spirit is finally aged long enough to sell, so please pay us to sample what may or may not be worth $35/750".     ('And may or may not taste like any Bourbon you've ever tasted from us before.')

7 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Probably. I don't imagine them putting inferior whiskey in a bottle specifically celebrating their anniversary. Now I'm not saying that because it's Willett that it's automatically good. I have a single barrel of their 4yr old bourbon and it's a bit rough. I also know they've put out some good ones. I think they save the better ones for special releases like this and when they first unveiled them.

I agree with you guys, that Willett will probably want a good review on this release since it is only a few of the whiskey they actually produced.  For 35-45 dollars, I'd be willing to try a bottle to understand what Willett will be releasing in the near future as their stock matures.  Otherwise, it becomes another Coke tester.  I'm not endorsing coke by any means here.

edit:  added

Oh, forgot to mention that there are suppose to be 5200 bottles produced.

http://www.breakingbourbon.com/release-list.html 

Let me know if this link violates any non-competing clause i'm not aware of.  I also lurk their website a lot.

Edited by Gh3nghis

^^^^^I bet, for some reason, it'll taste a hell of a lot like their $20 Willett FE BIB. :o

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody knew which states would be getting allocation of this release as I know it will be a limited release. Any input is appreciated! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Threebourboneers said:

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody knew which states would be getting allocation of this release as I know it will be a limited release. Any input is appreciated! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an FYI there is a thread on this in Premium/Specialty Bourbons.

On 3/22/2017 at 4:44 PM, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

They released a batch of 4 year small batch house distilled bourbon (basically the same thing as 80th) last year when I was @ The distillery.  Sampled it on the tour.

I didn't care for it much at all.

If you've tried the new willett distilled old bardstown, it is basically a cask strength version of that.

Search online and try to find a review.

Nobody wants to say it's ehh... 

I think most people just want the bottle of 80th for the cool label....

• 1 month later...

I'm having a pour of this with lunch in Louisville right now. It is actually pretty nice and has some good character. Cinnamon-sugar up front which leads into other baked goods that carry through the finish. Solid overall and I think this is a good value at the original MSRP. Reminds me of FRSmB: sweet, spicy, easy to drink, good but nothing crazy IMHO

1 minute ago, Kpiz said:

I'm having a pour of this with lunch in Louisville right now. It is actually pretty nice and has some good character. Cinnamon-sugar up front which leads into other baked goods that carry through the finish. Solid overall and I think this is a good value at the original MSRP. Reminds me of FRSmB: sweet, spicy, easy to drink, good but nothing crazy IMHO

Cinnamon-sugar is what I get from a lot of their younger products. Curious to see how that evolves with more age.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Revisited Willett's house juice by trying this (80th b'day) at a bar in Louisville this past weekend.

Still not my thing at all.  Very young and unrefined tasting to me.  Didn't even finish the pour.

The old bardstowns (house made juice @ 90 & 100p) were slightly better to me, but that's not saying much.  I at least finished those.

I'll be sticking to their ryes for the next few years.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

Revisited Willett's house juice by trying this (80th b'day) at a bar in Louisville this past weekend.

Still not my thing at all.  Very young and unrefined tasting to me.  Didn't even finish the pour.

The old bardstowns (house made juice @ 90 & 100p) were slightly better to me, but that's not saying much.  I at least finished those.

I'll be sticking to their ryes for the next few years.

I've had the 2 year rye and own the 3 year. I like them even though they are definitely young and grassy. The 3 year was a small step up.  The only Willet distilled bourbon I've tried is the new Old Bardstown 90 proof. That is among the worst stuff I've ever tasted. I've yet to finish the bottle. I only use it for mixer or cooking. I hear the bib is better. Sad that you found the 80th below the quality of OB.

I've had the 2 year rye and own the 3 year. I like them even though they are definitely young and grassy. The 3 year was a small step up.  The only Willet distilled bourbon I've tried is the new Old Bardstown 90 proof. That is among the worst stuff I've ever tasted. I've yet to finish the bottle. I only use it for mixer or cooking. I hear the bib is better. Sad that you found the 80th below the quality of OB.

I strongly disliked the 3yr rye. SBS with a Ritt BIB at a bar, the RR was clearly better

• 3 months later...

Picked one of these up today. They must have a ton as the reps where pushing it.

The hunters where out some guy almost ran me over with three bottles.

Bought mine day of release. Workers at Willett said it was 5yr, which made sense, becuase it came out a year after their 4yr single barrel stuff. I opened as soon as I got home, and did not like it. Had a second pour first of July, and it was a lot better. Solid pour for the retail price of $35. Anything over $50, and you spent too much. I'll have another pour of it in a month or two. 

IMG_3631.JPG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.