What bottle did you open today? Spring 2017

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Ha ha! It says you posted it this afternoon. No harm in a midday dram in my book - cheers

That explains it, sure, there is nothing wrong with that. Cheers!

Cheers! 

Will.

Opened a bottle of WTRB Batch WT-03RB last night.  Of course it's an older bottling but as it seems happens many times the cork just broke right off...  simply pushed the remainder of it inside the bottle, poured a glass, poured the remainder off into an available decanter no real harm done.

To the juice - I have tried RB on a few occasions but never really found anything about it to love like I do other bourbons, I had the same reaction to this bottle.  I just need to resign myself to the fact that from WT it's RRSB, WTKS, and the WTMK expressions for me and stay away from the others.

Open this Forged Oak a week or so ago. Happen to pull out from the bunker. I've been off buying the Orphan Barrel bus but continue to drink through what I have.

It's pretty good and reasonable all around.

9208c69337448290d3200d5439ddf9a3.jpg

I didn't remember from before when opened but now found this to be very enjoyable. Good mouth feel, nose and taste with a fairly long finish. Just an off note in the finish but overall quite balance and very enjoyable. Diluted down just a bit.

Opened a VW Lot B over the weekend to sip with the groom and other groomsmen while getting dressed

b04f7618277839bc878a2cdb6116dadc.jpg

On 4/26/2017 at 10:24 AM, Kpiz said:

Opened a VW Lot B over the weekend to sip with the groom and other groomsmen while getting dressed

b04f7618277839bc878a2cdb6116dadc.jpg

What a great bourbon for a special occasion!  Hope you enjoyed it!

So I am fresh off my bourbon tour in Bardstown, KY, and I bought a few bourbons there, and immensely enjoyed touring Heaven Hill, Maker's Mark, and Willett.

I've opened an Old Fitz BIB (not pictured), ECSB, FRSB OESK (8 years 10 months), several RRSiB's (some not pictured), and a Maker's Mark Private Select that I dipped at the distillery.  I intended to either save it for eternity or gift it.  I decided to open tonight.  LOL.  Just opened it, and letting it rest right now,  I have high hopes---we shall see.

IMG_9484.JPG

IMG_9490.JPG

^JazzNut Other than the MMPS that every store in Houston seems to have there own bottling of I can't find any of what you have pictured.

I'm very envious.

Are you a standard MM fan? I can't stand standard MM so I haven't bought any of the MMPS I've seen, maybe I'm being unfair.

36 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

^JazzNut Other than the MMPS that every store in Houston seems to have there own bottling of I can't find any of what you have pictured.

I'm very envious.

Are you a standard MM fan? I can't stand standard MM so I haven't bought any of the MMPS I've seen, maybe I'm being unfair.

Maker's Mark was one of the first bourbons that I enjoyed neat, so it has a special place in my memory.  This particular bottling I picked up at the distillery last Friday, so not sure if they distributed this bottling outside of the distillery.  This was a Bill Samuels Jr. pick, and it is 10 Makers 46 oak finishing staves.  Bottled at 110.9 proof.  Really great nose of honey, citrus, vanilla, and baking spices.  However, at this point, I am not sure if I enjoy it for 2X the price of Maker's 46.  Certainly the fact I got to dip the bottle into red wax at the distillery was a factor in me buying it, but also wanted to see about the extra aging/finishing.  I am going to reserve judgement until this bottle opens up a little bit.  Suffice to say, Maker's 46 is a step up from Maker's.  I still am not convinced of Maker's Cask Strength, but that is just a personal opinion.  It does have extra proof, and flavor, but probably not age.  As far as how Maker's Mark stacks up against other distilleries, I don't think I would pick it ahead of Heaven Hill, Wild Turkey, or Buffalo Trace.  I think it's fine bourbon, but not challenging, or memorable.  With that said, I have Maker's Mark at least every month in some fashion or another (weddings, bars, or in mixed drinks).

Picked up the Willett two days ago and I just picked up and poured the WW. Today the Willet gave me lots of cherry and a little bit of cinnamon, the WW is an old underripe orange and caramel so far. I like'em both so far.

IMG_0091.JPG

Putting a decent dent in this Barrell Bourbon #11 that I picked up today.  At this rate it won't last long.

WIN_20170428_233304.JPG

I opened up a bottle of one of The Three Wisemen to share with some friends.
9ed89d4ea8ebc11d49d96aa614822d02.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 4/27/2017 at 11:05 PM, Jazz Nut said:

Maker's Mark was one of the first bourbons that I enjoyed neat, so it has a special place in my memory.  This particular bottling I picked up at the distillery last Friday, so not sure if they distributed this bottling outside of the distillery.  This was a Bill Samuels Jr. pick, and it is 10 Makers 46 oak finishing staves.  Bottled at 110.9 proof.  Really great nose of honey, citrus, vanilla, and baking spices.  However, at this point, I am not sure if I enjoy it for 2X the price of Maker's 46.  Certainly the fact I got to dip the bottle into red wax at the distillery was a factor in me buying it, but also wanted to see about the extra aging/finishing.  I am going to reserve judgement until this bottle opens up a little bit.  Suffice to say, Maker's 46 is a step up from Maker's.  I still am not convinced of Maker's Cask Strength, but that is just a personal opinion.  It does have extra proof, and flavor, but probably not age.  As far as how Maker's Mark stacks up against other distilleries, I don't think I would pick it ahead of Heaven Hill, Wild Turkey, or Buffalo Trace.  I think it's fine bourbon, but not challenging, or memorable.  With that said, I have Maker's Mark at least every month in some fashion or another (weddings, bars, or in mixed drinks).

I've tasted a few of MMPS and they are consistently good, the best product MM is putting out currently.  

On 4/29/2017 at 5:36 PM, jvd99 said:

I've tasted a few of MMPS and they are consistently good, the best product MM is putting out currently.  

Totally agree.  The regular MM would just be a mixer for me.  I like the 46 better and I recently picked up a PS 46 with 5 French Mocha staves and it is superb.

Opened my first ever bottle of W12.  Was not disappointed at all.  Now I just have to get another so I don't have to nurse this one.

Just opened a 1.75 of Four Roses Yellow Label . . . great when I just want a snort!

Opened my first ever bottle of W12.  Was not disappointed at all.  Now I just have to get another so I don't have to nurse this one.

Heard W12 is starting to show up at some retailers? Well I read it on the release calendar from another site. Might have to hit up some random shops again.

Cracked a Woodford Reserve  Distillers Select, Batch 1242, bottle #739.  Easy sipping 90.4 proof.  

I had to open a new bottle of each tonight to try the OGD114/WSR blend. It needs a name 

20170503_200259-756x1008.jpg

Edited by Clueby

26 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I had to open a new bottle of each tonight to try the OGD114/WSR blend. It needs a name 

How about Grandaddy Weller 102?

19 minutes ago, Clueby said:

How is it? What does it taste like? That might call to mind a name. Without knowing, I nominate the following:

1) Four Grain Peace Train

2) Grand-Dad Special Reserve 

3)  Poor Man's Woodford Master's Collection Four Grain

4)  The only available Weller + the Beam they are trying to kill. 

4 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

How is it? What does it taste like? That might call to mind a name. Without knowing, I nominate the following:

HA...I like #3. Or..Old Grand Weller?

I put a few tasting notes in the "What Bourbon Are You Enjoying" thread.

#2 please

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.