What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

ORVW 10...$300

VW 12...$400

"no thanks" to both. No wonder they're still sitting on them.

Went to the best restaurant around last night. Literally the best bourbon selection I've ever seen on a restaurant menu period. The steaks there are beyond great. Hands Down that good. My wife was a bartender in college. We know everyone in the business, so they always take care of us.

They opened a new liquor store in the same plaza owned by the same people. The store has everything from A. H. Hirsch 16, FRLE's, Barrel Bourbon, to Boss Hog. No prices on any bottle, so I knew with that selection it was gonna be high. What a shame. All that fine whiskey trapped in those bottles. Passed on it all. Quit asking prices pretty quick.  Put it this way. I paid less for 3 bottles of Elliot's Select than they wanted for 1. I don't see anything slowing down anytime soon.

I'm just thankful the restaurant prices aren't high & heavily poured. The liquor store was very high though. I suppose the whole trophy bottle deal is real!

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

Passed on Basil Hayden Rye. Anyone tried it yet? I did a quick search in here and didn't come up with anything.

80 proof..... You? 

Nah.  I just don't see it.

That's like water for you.

:)

21 minutes ago, 0895 said:

80 proof..... You? 

Nah.  I just don't see it.

That's like water for you.

Hey I do have a few bottles in the 90's!  But..I do enjoy that proof burn.

Didn't look at the Rye close enough to note its proof.  What is its provenance?

I guessed I passed on these Four Roses Limited Edition and some WLW and THH. $400 for FRLe and $600 BTAC.

605fab891944e22c53b43ccd74ae6d3d.jpg

9a37b62def95bd98c27b480d543ade7e.jpg

46 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Didn't look at the Rye close enough to note its proof.  What is its provenance?

No idea.

Bookers Rye barrels that weren't good enough for "big time batch" ?

Diluted and sold as basils?

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

Baby Saz @ $59.99......uhh, no! 

Yes......a big raspberry to that.

Michters 10 Bourbon which was going for $170.00 - probably decent when going against the same bottle in the secondary market but still didn't warrant me pulling the trigger.

Edited by Government Beard

3 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Michters 10 Bourbon which was going for $170.00 - probably decent when going against the same bottle in the secondary market but still didn't warrant me pulling the trigger.

I bought a bottle at retail around Christmas time.  It's a good bourbon but way overpriced.  I'd suggest McKenna 10yr, SAOS SiB, ECNAS store picks or even ER10 before Michter's 10yr.  It's literally a $40 bourbon with an $80 story.

34 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

I bought a bottle at retail around Christmas time.  It's a good bourbon but way overpriced.  I'd suggest McKenna 10yr, SAOS SiB, ECNAS store picks or even ER10 before Michter's 10yr.  It's literally a $40 bourbon with an $80 story.

Pretty remarkable all things considered. 

I just bought 3 Henry McKenna 10 Yr BiB at retail because the stuff is too good and the price is phenomenal. McKenna 10 at $29.99 or Michter's 10 at $129.00 retail/tax. Choice is pretty easy. 

29 minutes ago, Hrchokie said:

Passed on Baby Saz at $29.99 already have a couple in the bunker.

I'd have a couple more in the bunker at that price.

On 4/5/2017 at 2:39 PM, Clueby said:

Passed on Basil Hayden Rye. Anyone tried it yet? I did a quick search in here and didn't come up with anything.

Saw it today for the first time. $50 and NAS as far as I can see. Will wait until I see more about it. Also noticed Booker's jumped from $50s to $80 in a week.

Pretty remarkable all things considered. 

I just bought 3 Henry McKenna 10 Yr BiB at retail because the stuff is too good and the price is phenomenal. McKenna 10 at $29.99 or Michter's 10 at $129.00 retail/tax. Choice is pretty easy. 

I originally got into bourbon because I was tired of paying $30 a bottle for scotch...oh how times have changed

3 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I originally got into bourbon because I was tired of paying $30 a bottle for scotch...oh how times have changed

I remember 7-8 years ago when $30 bourbon was a once a year purchase when I got Christmas money from my grandparents.

:):):)

12 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I remember 7-8 years ago when $30 bourbon was a once a year purchase when I got Christmas money from my grandparents.

:):):)

What?  We're you 15 or something? :lol:

4 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Haha. Indeed. And no end in sight. 

11 hours ago, jvd99 said:

What?  We're you 15 or something? :lol:

LoL.

No, just new to bourbon and couldn't fathom spending over $20 for booze.

Also didn't have a lot of money.

And I was content with Evan, Jack, 4R, makers, OGD, etc. At the time.

Worst thing I ever did was try "the good stuff" 

I remember getting into bourbon and thinking "who the hell would pay $30 for a bottle of...."

wow have times changed! If I ran across SAOS rye BP at $60/bottle,  I'd ask them how many cases they had in the back

Passed up 6 bottles of HWMWND at two different places both at $85 I already have two. On the flip side I couldn't stop myself from buying two EC with the beautiful big red 12's on the front and a Bookers C00-K-15, if any one finds themselves in Northern NJ and needs a source for such things let me know, and save me from myself....

Passed on ECBP in a couple of places this week - all the old style bottles and I didn't even look at the proof to determine the batch #s - the price???  $100

Easy pass and a reason to exit the store pretty quickly.  

I did go to a store where evidently the owner has some older stuff held back as the employee working told me.  He said I would have to talk to him directly about any of it so I'll be calling back to see what he has and how he has it priced.  

Also saw a bottle of HH BIB that had some age to it but wasn't age stated - I looked it over pretty well but passed.  It was priced at $57 which let me know the owner thought it was something special which it might have been but I passed anyway.  I did pick up a liter of OC8 for $16 at the same store though...

Did some dusty hunting on my way to the Louisville baseball game. Passed on some earlier 2016 Booker batches, the first two ORVW 10's I have ever seen (store owner said he had turned down $900 on them) and about 7 bottles of ETL, which wasn't hard to do since they were priced at $100. Have a feeling that they'll continue to collect dust at that price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

If he formed down $900 for ORVW10 he's not to smart...

And $56 for HHBIB? WTF?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.