What Rye R U Drinking (Spring 2017)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just wanted one glass of something tonight, (had a little to much bourbon last night) so went with a very good pour of Saz 18y...... Just what I needed.

Tonight finally getting around to drinking a sample of barrel proof (63.5%) High West Rendezvous Rye.

Thick, rich, spicy, & delicious with a finish that won't quit.  My throat is on fire.

Has that familiar mgp taste to it....and I mean that in a respectable way.

:wub:

IMAG1895.jpg

2nd pour this evening is the rest of a SAOS barrel proof 8 year rye sample I've been saving.

Again mgp juice.

Slightly more dill in this one (than the rendezvous in prior post).

Less heat.

Quicker, but sweeter finish with less fire.

Nice balance of rye spice and heat.

Truly a rye that puts it's mark on this hobby.

IMAG1896_1.jpg

Finally, another mgp bottle.

6 year, cask strength, WFE.

Much more dill than than the other two, but with the help of the norlan glass, I'm able to make it dissipate rather quickly.

Notes of chewy, sweet caramel shine through in a way that's similar to the center of certain candy bars.

Rye spice is there up front, however the finish burns the least out of the 3 samples from tonight.

IMAG1899.jpg

Popped a Masterson's Batch 5 Store pick from Stew Leonard's, it was on sale for $49.99, it's pretty good, I wouldn't pay the normal price for it but $50 and lower its a winner.

On 3/28/2017 at 9:05 PM, 0895 said:

Tonight finally getting around to drinking a sample of barrel proof (63.5%) High West Rendezvous Rye.

Thick, rich, spicy, & delicious with a finish that won't quit.  My throat is on fire.

Has that familiar mgp taste to it....and I mean that in a respectable way.

:wub:

IMAG1895.jpg

I was given a bottle as a gift. Def high octane but great taste.

I'm getting back into WT101 and sipping it as I type. Soooo smooth and a great deal for $30/L

12 hours ago, Gerry M said:

I'm getting back into WT101 and sipping it as I type. Soooo smooth and a great deal for $30/L

If only it was 30/L here, at $40/L while I like it, I'll spend the extra bucks on RRSB Rye, which I occasionally get on sale for $40-$50 a 750

On 3/29/2017 at 2:15 AM, 0895 said:

Finally, another mgp bottle.

6 year, cask strength, WFE.

Much more dill than than the other two, but with the help of the norlan glass, I'm able to make it dissipate rather quickly.

Notes of chewy, sweet caramel shine through in a way that's similar to the center of certain candy bars.

Rye spice is there up front, however the finish burns the least out of the 3 samples from tonight.

IMAG1899.jpg

Interesting style comparison of different barrels of MGP ryes.  I have always enjoyed SA and WFE MGP ryes.  Obviously, HWRR isn't solely MGP but it is a good comparison.

On 4/2/2017 at 0:31 AM, kevinbrink said:

Popped a Masterson's Batch 5 Store pick from Stew Leonard's, it was on sale for $49.99, it's pretty good, I wouldn't pay the normal price for it but $50 and lower its a winner.

One of our local stores has it on sale for $49.99.  It is normally $59.99.  I have been tempted, especially since I like Jeff 10 and WP.  I wish the proof were a little higher.

The last of a bottle of Michter's Barrel Proof Rye tonight while watching the last season of Rectify. A nice whiskey but I won't be searching for a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Interesting style comparison of different barrels of MGP ryes.  I have always enjoyed SA and WFE MGP ryes.  Obviously, HWRR isn't solely MGP but it is a good comparison.

True,

But to me but in this one, the mgp component really shined through, so I ran with the theme.

:)

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

One of our local stores has it on sale for $49.99.  It is normally $59.99.  I have been tempted, especially since I like Jeff 10 and WP.  I wish the proof were a little higher.

I had a couple pours, I will say that it is exactly what I expected it's uhm 90% of the way to Wistlepig... you know... literally. 

Finally (finally !) getting around to opening a Pikesville that was sitting on my shelf for a year.  I'm about a third of the way into the bottle.  I had a bit to sip neat and made a Manhattan with the remainder of the pour.  110 pf and 6 years gives this one a great balance of bourbony rye youth and a barreled fullness.  Spice, sweet, and balanced.  Yes, it is twice the price of Rittenhouse, but in the 50$ bracket, this is the best combo sipping-mixing rye I've yet found.

On 4/6/2017 at 10:51 AM, Madhatter said:

Finally (finally !) getting around to opening a Pikesville that was sitting on my shelf for a year.  I'm about a third of the way into the bottle.  I had a bit to sip neat and made a Manhattan with the remainder of the pour.  110 pf and 6 years gives this one a great balance of bourbony rye youth and a barreled fullness.  Spice, sweet, and balanced.  Yes, it is twice the price of Rittenhouse, but in the 50$ bracket, this is the best combo sipping-mixing rye I've yet found.

And the mint ....... the lovely mint in the taste.

Tattoo:  Boss, ....  ze mint, ze mint !

Madhatter:  Shut up, Tattoo, and watch for the plane.

Tattoo:  Oh, right Boss. .................. Ze plane, ze plane !

Well, I opened up the 14y WP Boss Hog tonight. This is a very good 100% rye. I have a 13y open and I will say it is better than the 13y. It's hard for me to say pick one up if you see it (because of the price) but if you've liked it in the past I wouldn't hesitate to get it. 

One side note...... you would think when you spend this much money on a bottle of whiskey that the producer would make sure that the nice little pig on top wouldn't separate from the cork when you first open it. (That's my only bitch about it)

IMG_1609.thumb.JPG.f5907c67e42f2bd3152e01eef9c46130.JPG

On 4/8/2017 at 8:11 PM, LCWoody said:

Well, I opened up the 14y WP Boss Hog tonight. This is a very good 100% rye. I have a 13y open and I will say it is better than the 13y. It's hard for me to say pick one up if you see it (because of the price) but if you've liked it in the past I wouldn't hesitate to get it. 

One side note...... you would think when you spend this much money on a bottle of whiskey that the producer would make sure that the nice little pig on top wouldn't separate from the cork when you first open it. (That's my only bitch about it)

So I tried the 13 year boss for the first time today and found it amazing.  The smell was intoxicating.  This is the first time ever trying any boss hog.

What makes the 14 yr. better to you?

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:11 PM, LCWoody said:

I wouldn't think that at all. It is the nasally groundhog after all! So a quality product (and package) at even a semi-reasonable QPR isn't really part of the business plan.

A shame really because it is a good whiskey. But they have pushed the price point on it to a point I am no longer willing to pay as well as to where no other NDP can see any reason why they shouldn't get a cut of the secondary market craziness too.

On 4/9/2017 at 10:18 PM, 0895 said:

So I tried the 13 year boss for the first time today and found it amazing.  The smell was intoxicating.  This is the first time ever trying any boss hog.

What makes the 14 yr. better to you?

It has more of the rye spice, bolder flavors, very rich, but smother and easyer drinking. I'm not good with flavors, but I know when it's good, and it's good. 

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I wouldn't think that at all. It is the nasally groundhog after all! So a quality product (and package) at even a semi-reasonable QPR isn't really part of the business plan.

A shame really because it is a good whiskey. But they have pushed the price point on it to a point I am no longer willing to pay as well as to where no other NDP can see any reason why they shouldn't get a cut of the secondary market craziness too.

I do agree that the price has gotten high, but I pick and choose what I think might be worth getting. I'm glad I got this one.  

First taste from the Basil Hayden Rye, and I am impressed.  Very sippable, with unmistakable rye notes that build throughout.  The finish really shines, and is where the older quarter cask rye (my assumption) exerts itself.  There is a very nice progression of soft (though greenish) to sizzle from front to end that is very well conceived and executed.  Beam blended this very well for my tastes.  

image.jpg

A bit of Crown Royal Single Barrel during movie night at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoyed some dusty Lot 40 last night - after dealing with breaking the @#$%^#! cork.  :angry:

Yesterday got a wild hair to grab something new so I got a bottle of the Catoctin Creek Roundstone, 92 proof version.  Cracked it last night, and it is some real interesting stuff for sure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.