What Rye R U Drinking (Spring 2017)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Woodinville Rye, Microbarreled.  Great stuff.  Huge amount of carmel and vanilla on the nose and palate.

I started with some mckenna and dickel rye and followed it up with the double!

There is nothing like the MGP pickle punch, although it was a little more than just dill pickle tonight. I have a bottle of yky, and a port finished double rye, but I might like the plain old double rye! the best

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Inaugural pour of this Double Cask Rye from Hillrock. It's young, yes. It's craft, yes. It's pricey, yes. But I like it more than other young ryes I've tried.

Visited a friend in NYC last month and we made a trip out to the distillery, which was very pleasant. The bottle was really a souvenir bottle but I think the double casking successfully hides the age of the spirit and adds some depth to it. 

Cheers! 

Screenshot_20170513-203740.png

Sazerac in East Nashville.
0c8a6ba9a25cd99c7f56bc22de88eefb.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

More Old Maysville Club and Pikesville Rye.  Can't say enough about the Old Maysville Club - it is quintessential rye.  A Sazerace with this as a base is in my future.  My son is coming for a visit next week and if this bottle isn't empty when he leaves I will be shocked.  Honestly, I was bit disappointed with the Pikesville. I was hoping for a THH experience and it did not happen.  I have been sitting on this for well over a year.  Gifted a couple of bottles, but was waiting to clear the bar before I opened mine.  Don't get me wrong, it is very good rye just not mind bending.  

23 hours ago, beasled said:

Inaugural pour of this Double Cask Rye from Hillrock. It's young, yes. It's craft, yes. It's pricey, yes. But I like it more than other young ryes I've tried.

Visited a friend in NYC last month and we made a trip out to the distillery, which was very pleasant. The bottle was really a souvenir bottle but I think the double casking successfully hides the age of the spirit and adds some depth to it. 

Cheers! 

Screenshot_20170513-203740.png

Nice pour!  Must be a small glass, because it certainly looks like a generous pour that barely dented the bottle!  Not a fan of finished ryes, but love the color.  Glad you found something worthy of bringing back!

Edited by El Vino

I've been working on the Basil, and I have to say that I continue to enjoy this delicate rye.  As I get further into the bottle, I even find that it seems to have improved, for me. 

I have no regrets for purchasing this at $49, and what's left won't last long.  Do I feel that it's worth more than $49?  No, I do not.  In this current market, it is...what it is!     

19 hours ago, El Vino said:

Nice pour!  Must be a small glass, because it certainly looks like a generous pour that barely dented the bottle!  Not a fan of finished ryes, but love the color.  Glad you found something worthy of bringing back!

Not a huge fan of finished ryes either but this is a little different in that the added oakiness hides the age of the spirit a litte and adds  some good depth. 

it was a 35ml pour! The first of a few.. haha

Picked up a bottle of Angels Envy Rum Finished Rye last week since I have enjoyed it at festivals in the past, it was "on sale" for $60 so I bit. I've been drinking a good amount of Rum lately and I have to say I am really enjoying this pour apart from some obvious MGP Pickle notes and some rum funk I'm getting a definitive maple thing that I don't remember from past tastings, glad I have a bottle now to do further research.

Last night, some Pikesville. I don't give this rye enough credit. I also don't drink it enough. So good and always delivers. 

Tonight, some Ritt. I'm working on a bottle I've been working on for a long time. Even though it's from the same lineage as Pikesville, it just doesn't do it for me. It's not bad by any means, and the price point is certainly admirable. I just don't crave going back to it like I do others.

Last evening I had two pours of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. Much better than the plain Russell's Reserve.  Probably due to 104 vs 90 proof.

This evening I plan on two pours of CEHT. I have tried this once before, but I want to give it another try.

Utah DABC released three of the very limited rye whiskeys, RRSB, CEHT and Baby Saz. I got one of each yesterday. Today, the Saz was gone, but I did get another RRSB and CEHT.

Regards, Jim  

Edited by hawkeye62

5 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

Last evening I had two pours of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. Much better than the plain Russell's Reserve.  Probably due to 104 vs 90 proof.

This evening I plan on two pours of CEHT. I have tried this once before, but I want to give it another try.

Utah DABC released three of the very limited rye whiskeys, RRSB, CEHT and Baby Saz. I got one of each yesterday. Today, the Saz was gone, but I did get another RRSB and CEHT.

Regards, Jim  

We've only gotten a few bottles of RRSB in my area here, but I've managed to snag two so far and there was one left up on the shelf at my local store that nobody ever seems to buy anything from, so I may grab it if it is still there the next time I see it. I think RRSB is fantastic, the standard RR is good, and while I haven't tried them side by side, I feel like the SB is on a different level. The CEHT is good as well but I prefer SSRB. I'll be curious to hear what you think of the CEHT.

Drinking a Bourbon Crusaders private selection of RRSiB Rye. This is a great pour and a notch above standard issue store bottles.

Drinking a nice pour of the Breuckelen Distillery 77 Rye and Corn straight from the fridge tonite after turning on the Air Conditioner for the first time in 2017.  Gonna' have to back off my whiskey purchases to start paying the electric bill now!   :blink: 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:52 PM, EarthQuake said:

We've only gotten a few bottles of RRSB in my area here, but I've managed to snag two so far and there was one left up on the shelf at my local store that nobody ever seems to buy anything from, so I may grab it if it is still there the next time I see it. I think RRSB is fantastic, the standard RR is good, and while I haven't tried them side by side, I feel like the SB is on a different level. The CEHT is good as well but I prefer SSRB. I'll be curious to hear what you think of the CEHT.

I tried CEHT a while ago and wasn't impressed. But, as my tastes have modified over the last several months I thought I would give it another try. CEHT has a lot of rye spice and I thought I detected a slight dill flavor. Overall, I think it is a very good rye, but the price is very high. And I wonder about the mash bill. They say it is rye and malted barley. Well, MGP is rye and malted barley. The malt doesn't overpower the rye, so the malt content is probably between 15 and 20%.

By the way, what is SSRB?

Regards, Jim

@charliedick I have some of that disappointing rye tonight. [emoji4]
83269764762a05ac6ff51a1cab1b96be.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

I tried CEHT a while ago and wasn't impressed. But, as my tastes have modified over the last several months I thought I would give it another try. CEHT has a lot of rye spice and I thought I detected a slight dill flavor. Overall, I think it is a very good rye, but the price is very high. And I wonder about the mash bill. They say it is rye and malted barley. Well, MGP is rye and malted barley. The malt doesn't overpower the rye, so the malt content is probably between 15 and 20%.

By the way, what is SSRB?

Regards, Jim

Yes I think I would tend to agree. I think CEHT Rye is rather good but its about $70 a bottle here which is quite a lot. There are ryes I like about as much in the $50 range.

RRSB is Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. It's a bit pricey as well at $60-65 or so but I find it fantastic so the price doesn't bother me.

Picked up a store pick HWRR aged an extra 2.5 years in bourbon barrels, figured the only reasonable thing to do was see how it compares to the regular pour. I don't find the extra proof super noticeable but the extra age is pretty evident, extra smoky oak, the nose is pretty intense as well. No regrets on this purchase and my grab another.

WP_20170518_21_47_32_Pro.jpg

Canadian Club Rye in a Presbyterian while doing some grilling. Acceptable but would love this at a higher proof.

433a77f07c2a97847cf672876fd0751c.jpg

On 5/18/2017 at 9:05 PM, kevinbrink said:

Picked up a store pick HWRR aged an extra 2.5 years in bourbon barrels, figured the only reasonable thing to do was see how it compares to the regular pour. I don't find the extra proof super noticeable but the extra age is pretty evident, extra smoky oak, the nose is pretty intense as well. No regrets on this purchase and my grab another.

WP_20170518_21_47_32_Pro.jpg

Bourbon finished Rendezvous has always been fantastic for me.  I buy them whenever I see them during my travels. The finishing adds a nice twist to the "typical rendezvous flavor" (which in and of itself is very good).

Back to the Basil Hayden Rye, tonight.  The cruise in this whiskey still remains in the later gears as the finish shines, though the nose is offering more.  This is definitely a sipping rye, and not a cocktail mixer.  It will not hold up at its proof. But, it really hits the heavy vegetal/baking spices/wood notes very well for me while neat in the glass.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.