What Rye R U Drinking (Spring 2017)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, Seths said:

I picked up a Whistle Pig 10 store pick earlier and I'm really enjoying it. 

Nice--those are generally quite good.  A bit pricey at around $90 in my area, but at least the whiskey delivers.

8 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Nice--those are generally quite good.  A bit pricey at around $90 in my area, but at least the whiskey delivers.

Yeah it was $89.99 at riverside wine and spirits in chattanooga. 

I picked up a ~120 proof WP store pick from Stagecoach, I think it's absolutely fantastic. It was $80, but I feel that is quite reasonable for a 10 year old barrel proof rye. At least, I don't know of any other product that is as good/priced near it. 

Redemption Rye 8 year is about the same price, and in my opinion at least, not nearly as good. Redemption 10 year is even more expensive (haven't tried it so I don't have an opinion). Smooth Ambler 7/9 year is non-existent now. Michter's Rye BP, the bottle I've tried is good, perhaps a little better than Redemption Rye, but about $75 and NAS.

If one could find a bottle of THH at retail that would be a good comparison, but I think that is unlikely for most people. Even then my bottle of WP BP stacks up well against the pours of THH that I've had in bars, being better than one (THH 2015) and a bit worse than another (not sure what year it was but it was basically rye perfection for my palate).

Had this bottle of Pikesville for a good while and every time I pour from it I ask myself why I don't visit this one more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opened up a bottle of Baby Saz that I've had stashed away for eight months. Nice and spicy. I need to start looking for its replacement, yesterday if not sooner.

3 hours ago, Hop said:

Had this bottle of Pikesville for a good while and every time I pour from it I ask myself why I don't visit this one more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoy Pikesville. As a bonus the wife absolutely adores it in manhattans. 

Back on the KC rye following a hefty pub dinner with the folks.

Watching the Foo Fighters at Glastonbury on TV. 

Cheers all! 

5 hours ago, beasled said:

Back on the KC rye following a hefty pub dinner with the folks.

Watching the Foo Fighters at Glastonbury on TV. 

Cheers all! 

I am enjoying a hefty pour of KC rye following a light dinner.  Are the Foos playing tonight?  Big fan.  Two of the best drummers in the world in the same band.

6 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am enjoying a hefty pour of KC rye following a light dinner.  Are the Foos playing tonight?  Big fan.  Two of the best drummers in the world in the same band.

Yep they headlined Saturday. It was a good show but I've seen better - check them out in Hyde Park on YouTube. I went to that and it was an incredible night. Motorhead were on before them too. 

Cheers!

Day 1 of The Move has officially ended.  Closed on both houses at different law firms - moved and started installing Elfa Shelving in the garage of the new house accomplishing 36' of 20" deep shelving so far with the beginnings of another 36' under way.  All for the storage of items rarely used...

Went shopping between the closings with the Mrs. and found the perfect bar stools so I'll pick those up tomorrow.

Rented a Dodge Transit Van to handle all this and to pick up more furniture purchased weeks ago because what we had just wasn't going to work in the new house... ;) 

Back hurts, tired, sore and it's just beginning.  

On Topic - I've got four open bottles on the shelf - Saz Rye, ORVW, Lot B, and Pikesville - needed the proof so I went deep on the Pikesville tonight

Enjoyed some THH and an older Willett 4yr while visiting my family this week.  Delicious, and only made better by the company!

9 hours ago, GaryT said:

Enjoyed some THH and an older Willett 4yr while visiting my family this week.  Delicious, and only made better by the company!

I have to say, that first batch of Willett 4y Rye was the only 4y anything (whiskey) that I ever enjoyed (just because I normally don't like young bourbon/rye). I'm glad I have several put up for a later date.  

I tried the Whistlepig 12 year Old World stuff last night that a friend brought over. Good friend, lame whiskey. I simply do not like most of these Canadian products. And at around $120, this bottle is pure robbery

23 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I have to say, that first batch of Willett 4y Rye was the only 4y anything (whiskey) that I ever enjoyed (just because I normally don't like young bourbon/rye). I'm glad I have several put up for a later date.  

I really wish I had bought more of that when it was around locally for $30-$35.  Now if the name Willett is on the bottle, the prices are outrageous when it can be found.  I've found I enjoy rye much younger than bourbon (I think the corn sweetness tends to overpower the flavoring grains in bourbon at a young age, but rye stands up and has more character - not that I prefer younger rye over older!)

Back on topic (and speaking of young rye), had some JEP Barrel Proof this afternoon.  Still not a big fan - only a few points higher in proof than the non-BP version (and NAS, so 2 yrs+1 day), but almost double the price.  I don't have the regular non-BP version on hand, but my recollection is that I liked that one as well or better (but it could be the price altering my enjoyment of this one).

Woodinville Whiskey's One Hundred Percent Rye, Microbarreled this afternoon.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, BottledInBond said:

I tried the Whistlepig 12 year Old World stuff last night that a friend brought over. Good friend, lame whiskey. I simply do not like most of these Canadian products. And at around $120, this bottle is pure robbery

I agree with you on Canadian whiskey, Whistle Pig in particular. I paid $70 for the 10yr. Waste of money.

Jim 

18 hours ago, Journeyman said:

One of my favorites!

Jim

On 7/1/2017 at 10:45 AM, BottledInBond said:

I'm pretty sure the Old World is MGPI rye finished in different casks. 

4 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I'm pretty sure the Old World is MGPI rye finished in different casks. 

Interesting. I don't investigate Whistlepig often as I haven't been impressed by their stuff in the past. Regardless of provenance, I think this bottle is extremely overpriced for what it is. And I tend to like MGP/LDI Rye in general, so this barrel finishing must just not agree with me

On 7/2/2017 at 6:09 PM, Journeyman said:

8 hours ago, hawkeye62 said:

One of my favorites!

Jim

What is it that you guys like about this one? I live less than 8 miles from this distillery and really want them to succeed, but have not been able to stomach any of their micro barreled products. I get a distinct flavor that you would expect from cheap potpourri. I'm glad that someone likes it because it's allowed them to transition to aging in full size barrels.

Serious question though - what do you like about the micro barreled rye?

10 hours ago, flahute said:

What is it that you guys like about this one? I live less than 8 miles from this distillery and really want them to succeed, but have not been able to stomach any of their micro barreled products. I get a distinct flavor that you would expect from cheap potpourri. I'm glad that someone likes it because it's allowed them to transition to aging in full size barrels.

I like the spiciness that I get from it.  It's distinct from the only other rye whiskey I've had so far...Bulleit Rye, which has a bit too much of the dill flavor for me.  It sure does go to show how hard it is to say if a whiskey is good or bad...personal taste preferences can be so very different!

11 hours ago, flahute said:

I guess it is the grainy, woody flavors. And I like the idea of 100% rye with 20% malted. No barley, no corn, pure rye. But, I have to admit that I also like a few of the "barely legal" ryes, such as Pikesville 114, Rittenhouse 100 and Russell's Reserve Single Barrel.  I am also fond of Old Potrero Straight Rye, not so much the 18th Century Style. Both are 100% malted rye. And there is one Canadian rye I like, Lot 40. 

Regards, Jim  

On 7/1/2017 at 7:27 PM, GaryT said:

I really wish I had bought more of that when it was around locally for $30-$35.  Now if the name Willett is on the bottle, the prices are outrageous when it can be found.  I've found I enjoy rye much younger than bourbon (I think the corn sweetness tends to overpower the flavoring grains in bourbon at a young age, but rye stands up and has more character - not that I prefer younger rye over older!)

Back on topic (and speaking of young rye), had some JEP Barrel Proof this afternoon.  Still not a big fan - only a few points higher in proof than the non-BP version (and NAS, so 2 yrs+1 day), but almost double the price.  I don't have the regular non-BP version on hand, but my recollection is that I liked that one as well or better (but it could be the price altering my enjoyment of this one).

Gary, I am with you on the Willett.  I wish I would have bought more of the old Willett 4 year rye and old Willett 8 and 9 year old bourbons when they were around.  I know they were sourced but they were awesome.  I did buy a regular JEP non-BP not long after you posted about it a long while back.  I thought it was decent for the price. It is a good representation of the MGPI rye.  I see the JEP BP in the mid-$30s, but I can get Pikesville 110 for a few $ more.  I absolutely love Pikesville.  

On 7/3/2017 at 4:03 PM, hawkeye62 said:

I agree with you on Canadian whiskey, Whistle Pig in particular. I paid $70 for the 10yr. Waste of money.

Jim 

Whistle Pig is an interesting Canadian rye.  I really enjoyed the old Jefferson's Rye 10-Year, especially the non-chilled filtered version.  I still have a bottle hidden in the back of the cupboard.  For some special occasion that I have yet to identify.  Then Jefferson's (Castle Brands) ran out of Canada rye and started bottling LDI/MGPI rye.  Jeff Rye was on the shelf one day and then gone the next.  I had found a hole-in-the-wall store that had it and I remember passing since I had some only to find it gone when I visited it again.  Whistle Pig 10 year is the closest thing I have found.  I paid $29.99 for the bottles of Jeff Rye. I agree that $70 Whistle Pig is too expensive.  I believe I paid $65 which is too high but, again, I like it.  I can certainly understand those such as yourself who consider it a waste of money, especially when something like Pikesville 110 is available for almost 1/2 the price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.