What Rye R U Drinking (Spring 2017)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just had my first taste of Bookers Rye, wish I had more than a 2oz sample of this it is fantastic, I wouldn't spend the scratch on it even at retail but it is undeniably stellar.

Just had my first taste of Bookers Rye, wish I had more than a 2oz sample of this it is fantastic, I wouldn't spend the scratch on it even at retail but it is undeniably stellar.

My thoughts exactly. Too damn expense but nearly too damn good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random rye night. Started with Michter's Barrel Strength rye. I've been a fan of this for slightly more than a year now. It had a distinct Brown-Forman influenced flavor tonight that was stellar at barrel proof (112ish proof). It didn't take water well tonight however. 

Following with Pikesville - a perennial favorite. 

Steve, you inspired me so tonight I'm having a long over due glass of Pikesville Rye.

Very good.....

4 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Steve, you inspired me so tonight I'm having a long over due glass of Pikesville Rye.

Very good.....

Nice.

It consistently delivers for me and always makes me ask "Why don't I drink this more often?"

Ditto on Pikesville. It is well worth the $60 per bottle at the state liquor stores in Utah. And, it is worth the hassle of dealing with a very limited availability and a one bottle purchase limit. (Either go back multiple times, go to a second store or take wife along.)

Regards, Jim   

smuggled some SAOS rye barrel proof into a burlesque show the other night with Mrs. Dick and some friends. their bourbon selection is so-so, but nothing of this caliber

Nice pour of baby Saz after a few smaller tastes.  When I first tried this, I didn't get what all the fuss was about (for 50% more than Ritt BIB, didn't seem THAT much better to me at that point).  Years later . . . ok, maybe I get it now :)  I mean, STILL not sure it is 50% better than Ritt BIB, but appreciate it enough for the nuance it brings.  And seeing as it's is the glass (where Ritt isn't), it's #winning ;) 

8 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Nice pour of baby Saz after a few smaller tastes.  When I first tried this, I didn't get what all the fuss was about (for 50% more than Ritt BIB, didn't seem THAT much better to me at that point).  Years later . . . ok, maybe I get it now :)  I mean, STILL not sure it is 50% better than Ritt BIB, but appreciate it enough for the nuance it brings.  And seeing as it's is the glass (where Ritt isn't), it's #winning ;) 

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!  :lol:

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!  :lol:

Excellent advice Joe!  And always remember the one you're withs name (and NEVER confuse the two . . . they get muy pissed when you mess that up . . . I've been told)  

I suppose this is really a Canadian rye, but it has an American label.....

For the first time in a long time, I'm drinking a Whistle Pig. I had given up on this brand due to its piney taste at a high price. Well, a fine member here had told me about a store pick single barrel he had a bunch of. 10yrs at 117 proof. I expressed my skepticism so he went and sent me a bottle. I have to say it's really damn good. I'm not going to go out and buy the standard product anytime soon, but I will pay attention if I see a store pick in the future.

Went to a tasting tonight and was able to try a couple of Masterson's 10yr rye's. One finished for 10-12 months in French Oak, the other for 8 months in Hungarian oak. While not a huge fan of the standard Masterson's, both of these were very, very good. The French had quite a bit of fruit to it, pears and such, while the Hungarian had more wood to it. Both carried the rye spiciness nicely. Yeah, I bought a bottle of each

It has been at least 2 yrs since I last had Sazerac. I opened a bottle tonight, and I must say, pretty disappointed. It tastes of a very young rye, and not a good one.

Had a pour of Van Winkle 13 yr rye at a bar tonight, my first time trying that one.  Excellent.

Went home and watched an episode of Ken Burns' "Prohibition" on PBS.  Also excellent.

I tried the Gunfighter double cask (oak, then sherry) rye recently. Pleasant overall, but the sherry finish was so strong it was hard to pick up any of the usual rye spicy notes. 

13 hours ago, Phil T said:

It has been at least 2 yrs since I last had Sazerac. I opened a bottle tonight, and I must say, pretty disappointed. It tastes of a very young rye, and not a good one.

That was my impression with Baby Saz as well, basically fine for mixing but not something I enjoyed neat. I think Rittenhouse is a bit better (and $10 cheaper) if I want a basic cocktail rye.

I had a pour of Lock Stock & Barrel 13 last night - while the nuttiness on the finish initially threw me off, I think I'm starting to enjoy this one more.

I've found that baby Saz needs to breathe a bit, and then really hits the spot for me. The price is pretty similar to Rittenhouse in my area and I actually prefer it over Rittenhouse.

On 7/22/2017 at 7:49 PM, beasled said:

Healthy pour of this. Cheers all.

Screenshot_20170723-004809.png

that musta been one of the last BP ryes they put out. I keep a pulse on things I like, and when I realized the days were numbered on OSSB rye BP, I bought all I could find. I still have a stash of 7 and 8 year, but have not seen a 9 year BP rye. nice find!

just noticed.........different label too. yours is black where mine are brown, and mine say cask strength straight rye whiskey where yours says single barrel limited release. was this a distillery only bottle?

Edited by Whiskey Dick

4 hours ago, BFerguson said:

And the floater.....

644281ebd8ae580d70b544f0514b23e2.jpg

B

Well, I guess you will just have to drink it..... Damn the luck...... 

All B.S. aside, that is some great Rye.  

Just bought a bottle of the Jack Daniels Rye. I find I prefer it to the Gentleman Jack, although I also recently tried the Jack Daniels Holiday Select, which I really enjoyed. Beautiful up front dark fruits and candied fruits with a very nice maraschino cherry flavor in the Holiday Select. So far for me the Holiday Select is the best of the JD lineup, although I haven't tried the Sinatra yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.