What Rye R U Drinking (Spring 2017)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 7/28/2017 at 5:13 PM, lcpfratn said:

I've found that baby Saz needs to breathe a bit, and then really hits the spot for me. The price is pretty similar to Rittenhouse in my area and I actually prefer it over Rittenhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience, I don't think allowing it to breathe really helps. A young whiskey tastes like a young whiskey. I am not a fan. But, of course, YMMV. 

Edited by Phil T

Working on a bottle of Lot 40 2012 this week. It's been sitting around open for about a year -- much longer than I like, and needs to go soon. Unfortunately it is not as good as I remember it, maybe my palate adjusted to the not-so-subtle Pikesville & Redemption 6yo I've been drinking lately.

Enjoying some baby Saz tonight...on my third pour actually and it's really hitting the spot tonight. Maybe it's not for everyone, and I'll admit that the first few times I tried it I didn't care for it that much, but I've been amazed how much more I like it as the level in the bottle has gone down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finally cracked into my first ever WT 101 rye tonight.... Well, actually the other night, but I fell asleep before tasting it...

Anyway, smells of familiar (good) rye aromas, with a blast of pepper as soon as it hits your lips.

Custard cream on the back of the tongue, with a medium burn going down that dissipates rather quickly.

Definitely needs to sit and open up a bit in the glass before consumption.

One thing that stands out to me is that I don't get any "youth" from this.

This seems like a reasonably well aged, quality rye whiskey.

I'm quite enjoying my first impressions and looking forward to the future of this (liter) bottle.

Cheers! :)

IMAG2243.jpg

Edited by 0895

20 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Enjoying some baby Saz tonight...on my third pour actually and it's really hitting the spot tonight. Maybe it's not for everyone, and I'll admit that the first few times I tried it I didn't care for it that much, but I've been amazed how much more I like it as the level in the bottle has gone down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more.

It gets so much better as you drink it down.

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye. State stores have it as a "Trial" status. Anyway, I was surprised. It starts with something sweet, then the spice comes on and spice lingers into the fairly long finish. Not bad for a 47% ABV rye. It will be on my shopping list.

Regards, Jim   

On 7/28/2017 at 11:40 PM, Whiskey Dick said:

that musta been one of the last BP ryes they put out. I keep a pulse on things I like, and when I realized the days were numbered on OSSB rye BP, I bought all I could find. I still have a stash of 7 and 8 year, but have not seen a 9 year BP rye. nice find!

just noticed.........different label too. yours is black where mine are brown, and mine say cask strength straight rye whiskey where yours says single barrel limited release. was this a distillery only bottle?

These were from Master of Malt - there were two 9 year old single barrel ryes, one at 115 proof and one at 114.5. This was back in September last year. Not seen much SA on these shores since then other than their own stuff. 

I've got a couple of the 8 year single barrels tucked away and I'm debating getting some of the 7 year, which I know is still around in europe. 

On 7/31/2017 at 6:46 PM, 0895 said:

Finally cracked into my first ever WT 101 rye tonight.... Well, actually the other night, but I fell asleep before tasting it...

Anyway, smells of familiar (good) rye aromas, with a blast of pepper as soon as it hits your lips.

Custard cream on the back of the tongue, with a medium burn going down that dissipates rather quickly.

Definitely needs to sit and open up a bit in the glass before consumption.

One thing that stands out to me is that I don't get any "youth" from this.

This seems like a reasonably well aged, quality rye whiskey.

I'm quite enjoying my first impressions and looking forward to the future of this (liter) bottle.

Cheers! :)

IMAG2243.jpg

This is by far the rye I drink the most volume of. I usually buy it for $30/liter and at that price I think it's one of the best values in American Whiskey

Having a pour of Turley Mill Cask Strength 6yr, palate is a little off tonight but this bruiser pushes on through, a bit more Oaky with a bit more Barrel Char to the taste than other similarly aged MGP Ryes.

Two pours of Lot 40 2012 tonight, and that drains this bottle. Meanwhile, found a Willett 2yr that I bought who knows when and completely forgot about deep in my cabinet. That's going to be next.

I had two pours of the Copper Fox rye last night. My bottle has a 20 month age statement. This is an interesting rye, 2/3 rye and 1/3 malted barley. The barley is roasted with apple and cherry wood which gives the whiskey some fruity flavor. Sort of like peat gives scotch a peaty flavor. The fruity flavor does not over power the grainy rye flavor. It starts with a grain flavor and quickly moves to the rye spice with subtle fruit in the background. The finish is medium to long spice. More age would improve this rye and 45% ABV is on the low side.

Regards, Jim  

Rye.JPG

Had a small glass of Pikesville and Lock Stock & Barrel 13 year. Pikesville was fantastic (some nights I think it's merely good - others it's great). LSB 13 is growing on me a bit, at first the dry sherry-like nuttiness was overwhelming but the more I try the more I enjoy it.

Had a couple of pours of smooth ambler rye after a pour of ec 12 year. Bourbon wasnt doing it tonight but that pickle tasting mgp was hitting all the right notes.

to lick the weekend off

Wow, that sounds like a good start.

15 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Wow, that sounds like a good start.

Haha damn autocorrect. I'm not changing it. 

Cheers!

On 8/12/2017 at 0:39 AM, JoeTerp said:

Got to try the 2016 Handy today

I'm jealous! That's the first Handy I truly & deeply loved after the legendary 2013 release.

On 8/7/2017 at 0:06 AM, bourbon4all said:

...but that pickle tasting mgp was hitting all the right notes.

Some 6 year Willett (mgp) cask strength tonight.

This was the first bottle I've ever tried that really brought out the famous (infamous) mgp dill pickle taste for me.

I noticed with some water the dill dissipates a bit.

Hitting all the right spots with me tonight.  Yum!

On 8/13/2017 at 1:09 AM, Kane said:

I'm jealous! That's the first Handy I truly & deeply loved after the legendary 2013 release.

It was pretty great. 

On 8/13/2017 at 0:09 AM, Kane said:

On 8/14/2017 at 7:59 AM, JoeTerp said:

It was pretty great. 

Interesting.

I can't get into the 2016.

Have tried multiple times and just never gets great for me.

Now 2014.... that was incredible.

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Interesting.

I can't get into the 2016.

Have tried multiple times and just never gets great for me.

Now 2014.... that was incredible.

Ha ha, and I remember thinking the 2014 was such a let down after the 2013 :D Go figure!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.