Jump to content
LCWoody

What Rye R U Drinking (Spring 2017)

Recommended Posts

0895   
0895
15 hours ago, Kane said:

 

Ha ha, and I remember thinking the 2014 was such a let down after the 2013 :D Go figure!

 

So, you need my address to send me a sample of 13 then......

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BourbonDude   
BourbonDude
Posted (edited)

Trying a shot of FEW Flaming Lips Brainville Rye at a hotel in Saratoga Springs, NY.

 

At twice the price of the standard FEW rye, I had high hopes. But while intriguing, the piney nose and palate, while interesting, is just not my favorite flavor profile. It is certainly more complex than that and has other flavors (the use of French wine yeast is said to impart apple, pear, and stone fruit flavors) but the strong piney-ness tends to overwhelm those on my palate and just isn't my thing. Others mileage my vary.

Edited by BourbonDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895   
0895

Yippie ki yay batch 10 tonight.

 

It's just okay tonight, but I'm man enough to power through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane   
Kane
On 8/16/2017 at 2:24 PM, 0895 said:

 

So, you need my address to send me a sample of 13 then......

:)

I have a still-sealed bottle in my stash. and wouldn't mind sharing when the time comes :) Actually, I'm surprised there's no dedicated sample swap section in SB like the folks over at reddit do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BourbonDude   
BourbonDude
Posted (edited)

Basil Hayden Rye. Very hard to find, was lucky to get a bottle.

 

Fairly light rye, not so different from the bourbon. Despite its rarity, not really my style--too light and delicate and elegant. If I want that, I'll go to cognac. Come on, this is American rye. It's supposed to grow hair where the sun don't shine. LOL

 

So although pleasant enough, to me, not worth it given the price.

Edited by BourbonDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895   
0895
1 hour ago, Kane said:

I have a still-sealed bottle in my stash. and wouldn't mind sharing when the time comes :) Actually, I'm surprised there's no dedicated sample swap section in SB like the folks over at reddit do.

Well, keep me in mind.

I might have something around here your interested in.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby   
Clueby
2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Yippie ki yay batch 10 tonight.

 

It's just okay tonight, but I'm man enough to power through.

I hope it was better than batch 8.  Finally finished the open bottle I had.  Still have a batch 8 in the bunker.  I found its much better cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink   
kevinbrink
11 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

Basil Hayden Rye. Very hard to find, was lucky to get a bottle.

 

Fairly light rye, not so different from the bourbon. Despite its rarity, not really my style--too light and delicate and elegant. If I want that, I'll go to cognac. Come on, this is American rye. It's supposed to grow hair where the sun don't shine. LOL

 

So although pleasant enough, to me, not worth it given the price.

I picked up a couple bottles for $40 and I liked it at that price, anything more and it would be a pass from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane   
Kane
Posted (edited)

 

14 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

Basil Hayden Rye. Very hard to find, was lucky to get a bottle.

 

Fairly light rye, not so different from the bourbon. Despite its rarity, not really my style--too light and delicate and elegant.

I didn't even realize it was rare until now, they are staples where I frequent (or maybe shelf turds then?).

Edited by Kane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BourbonDude   
BourbonDude
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kane said:

 

I didn't even realize it was rare until now, they are staples where I frequent (or maybe shelf turds then?).

Yes, only one bottle in the store where I bought it in Lake Placid, NY.

Edited by BourbonDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beasled   
beasled

Finished off a Hillrock Double Cask Rye. Very impressed with this. It's pricey no doubt, but I enjoyed it from start to finish.

 

The double cask method seems the way forward for young rye.

Screenshot_20170818-225830.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BourbonDude   
BourbonDude
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I picked up a couple bottles for $40 and I liked it at that price, anything more and it would be a pass from me.

Nice. I'd say that's a fair price. But I was on vacation and it's hard to find in my area, and I wanted something to drink later that evening, so I went for it.

Edited by BourbonDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink   
kevinbrink
14 minutes ago, BourbonDude said:

Nice. I'd say that's a fair price. But I was on vacation and it's hard to find in my area, and I wanted something to drink later that evening, so I went for it.

Looks like you are well traveled in NY so far, ending you trip in Lake Placid or moving along more? My family has had a house in the Adirondacks for as long as I have been alive, my younger brother owns it now, and I only made it to Lake Placid when I was into my 30's. Enjoy your trip! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BourbonDude   
BourbonDude
Posted (edited)

Thanks! Yes, Lake Placid was our ultimate destination. We'll be up here for four days, then we head back to the Baltimore area,  where we started out. This is my first time here, despite briefly living in Syracuse which isn't far away.  Beautiful area for sure.

 

 

Edited by BourbonDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hawkeye62   
hawkeye62

Big pour of this.

 

P1010483_cr.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×