What bourbons do you like to drink as a pair (or a trio) in one sitting?

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some nights I only drink one type of bourbon.

Many nights I'll start with one bourbon, then have my next pour or two from different bottles. Unless I'm drinking with friends, I usually stop at three.

Anyway, I am certainly interested in what bourbons you find yourself pairing in one sitting, or what three (or more) bourbons you often drink in one sitting.

There are two trios of bourbons that I have drank together (in varying orders) so many times that I have given them names.

I drink "The Three Wisemen": Russell's Reserve, Elijah Craig NAS, Four Roses Single Barrel.

I also drink "The Three Bail Bondsmen": Very Old Barton BIB, Old Fitzgerald BIB, and Heaven Hill BIB.

What bourbons do you find yourself grouping together in one sitting?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My son and I will sometimes do a SBS by S tasting of 3.  Don't usually pick specific bottles but specific flavor profiles (e.g. start with a wheated bourbon, then go with something with a little more spice & proof, and then usually end up with a higher proof single barrel, say Larceny, Bakers and maybe a KC Single Barrel).  

Edited by CardsandBourbon

If I'm thinking about it in advance I usually have a theme, like maybe a B and an E of the same yeast strain from Four Roses.  But this is only if I'm really trying to take turns and compare the two.  If I'm going one pour followed by another pour, I usually just wait to decide what the second pour will be when I'm done with the first.

A few recurring themes for me are, BIBBIB, wheater & wheater, and of course, Weller & Weller.:D

Cheers! Joe

A few recurring themes for me are, BIBBIB, wheater & wheater, and of course, Weller & Weller.[emoji3]

Cheers! Joe

Joe, I like the way you think. Some day I'll get a bottle of W12 and then I can do a WSR, OWA, W12 trifecta. [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

I typically mix n match the pairings, but I do try to stick to one rule.  If I'm pouring from a $40+ bottle I usually have that first, and follow up with BiB or something less complex.

I often start out with something simple and known, then follow up with a nice bottle.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

I typically mix n match the pairings, but I do try to stick to one rule.  If I'm pouring from a $40+ bottle I usually have that first, and follow up with BiB or something less complex.

Same. I like to taste the more expensive offerings with a fresh palate. On weekends sometimes ill do two of the nicer offerings or heavy hitters in a row then move onto something along the lines of WT 101 or a BiB.

I like to drink stuff from the same distillery side by side.

-So a few recipes of 4R at the same time (usually the OB and OE of matching yeasts).

-Like BT mashbills together:  Such as Elmer, Blantons, RHF, & Hancocks. 

OR different weller / winkle products 

OR THH & baby saz

-High West rye products together:  MWND & Rendezvous, YKY & Double rye  or different store picks of like products

I constantly experiment and mix/mingle stuff together....mostly from the same distillery though.

One time at a bar, just for giggles, I did 1/2 shot each of WLW and GTS and mixed them in the same glass.

The bartender started laughing and everyone around me just stared in disbelief.  It was actually very good and fun to try.

When deliberately tasting--as opposed to drinking--Mrs. F and I like themes such as three iterations of basically the same bourbon; e.g., Basil Hayden, OGD BIB, OGD 114; WT101, RR, WTKS; JBB, Baker's, Booker's. It is interesting to see what happens to the same mash bill when it is treated different ways. 

I enjoy doing comparisons but there is not a regular theme to them. I will try just about anything at least once! Often it is something new compared to one or more previously tasted spirits that are in some way similar to the new kid on the block.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.