Smooth Ambler Rye

birdie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just starting to get into rye's and I heard that the Smooth Ambler Rye is a good one to try. Seems to be however quite hard to find though, but I did track down an online source that has is for around $80. Is that a "good" price bearing in mind it seems to have disappeared off shelves pretty much everywhere (Colorado for sure seems to have none that I can find)

I am sure that price is high based on what it was selling for when readily available, but now you, or at least I, cannot find it would this be worth spending.

They're hard to find because they're mostly discontinued. They'll continue as special release only.

I'd say the cask strength version of any year is easily worth $80. The standard ABV version is very good, but not worth $80. For that price range, grab WhistlePig 10 year.

16 minutes ago, IncredulousNosco said:

They're hard to find because they're mostly discontinued. They'll continue as special release only.

I'd say the cask strength version of any year is easily worth $80. The standard ABV version is very good, but not worth $80. For that price range, grab WhistlePig 10 year.

I'm a big fan of WhistlePig 10, the standard 100 proof version can be found around $55 online which is a good price, up to $70 at some stores/sites which I think is a bit much. However, you can also find the barrel proof offering at a couple stores:

$76 -  https://wineandcheeseplace.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=14069&search=twcp

$85 -  https://www.blackwellswines.com/collections/bourbon/products/whistlepig-10-year-old-cask-strength-single-barrel-rye-whiskey

Redemption rye is likely very similar to the SAOS rye, as both are MGP sourced barrel proof ryes. SOAS rye was typically a 7 year, and you can find Redemption in 6, 7, 8 and 10 year versions. The 6/7 are usually available below $80.

Michter's Rye barrel proof is also a good choice in this range at about $75, the proof isn't quite as high as the SOAS or Redemption, but I prefer the flavor profile over the MGP ryes which I like but find a bit boring sometimes. Same can generally be said about WhistlePig BP, lower proof but generally a more interesting pour. I've not tried SOAS rye so I don't know if these are standard MGP bottlings or if there is something special about them.

To my taste Redemption Rye, both barrel proof and not is not actually very similar to SAOS rye. Yeah, it should be, but SAOS had particularly good barrel picks. 

Redemption and JEP 1776 and many other MGP sourced ryes are very similar to one another, however. SAOS was simply a major stand-out, in my opinion. 

SAOS rye is awesome, but it's mostly gone. I'm milking my last bottle

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, IncredulousNosco said:

To my taste Redemption Rye, both barrel proof and not is not actually very similar to SAOS rye. Yeah, it should be, but SAOS had particularly good barrel picks. 

Redemption and JEP 1776 and many other MGP sourced ryes are very similar to one another, however. SAOS was simply a major stand-out, in my opinion. 

Thats what I've heard too, but I've never been able to find it at a store that ships to IA. I've got a bottle of Redemption 8 year and it would be great to do a side by side if I could get ahold of some SAOS.

so......would a 9 year old cask strength Smooth Ambler Rye be worth, and I know that word is relative, spending $85 on.

3 hours ago, birdie said:

so......would a 9 year old cask strength Smooth Ambler Rye be worth, and I know that word is relative, spending $85 on.

and if you don't want it, I'll PM you my address.

5 hours ago, birdie said:

Absolutely. 

I don't think it's unreasonable, but I would spend my money on something else.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Like most things related to 'finds' you snooze you lose, went back to grab it and it was gone........search continues.

Whether or not it's worth the price depends entirely on how much you like the MGPI rye style. The SA version is a great example but if you don't like the style, it's not worth it at any amount.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.