What Rye did you purchase today (Spring/Summer 2017)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I wonder what difference, if any, there is from the rum barrels used to finish the MGP rye. The original releases were reportedly from Ferrand/Plantation but now that AE is part of the Bacardi family are they using Bacardi barrels?  The Ferrand/Plantation barrels may have also been used for Cognac before their use for rum which I doubt is the case for Bacardi. Bacardi would more likely be ex bourbon barrels that were then used for rum I would suppose.

I bought a bottle about a month ago and it definitely still tastes like Ferrand/Plantation finishing, still has that note of boise, going forward will be interesting but clearly it would change the profile. The best thing I can say about Plantation is that when you buy a bottling you pretty much know what it will taste like, no matter where it came from....  Despite that I still like AE Rye for it's uniqueness, just like I appreciate OFTD, just not a chance of me buying a Plantation Single Barrel anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

A local store that gets a large amount of limiteds and prices them at secondary prices has had THH on the shelf for $400-500 since last fall. THH may be my favorite rye and I did get one bottle last year from a different store which I've been drinking, but slowly. A couple months ago they dropped the price to $299. When I saw that, I told myself I'd be a buyer at $200. Yesterday it happened. The price dropped to $199 and I bought both bottles. I post when I buy at a good deal and I post when I pay over retail. I am sometimes willing to do this for stuff that I love and THH is right there in that group for me. I will drink these bottles and now that I have some cushion, I'll drink it more regularly. Happy to share with my MD peeps if you guys want to get together. 

^^^ Good find this late in the year, and it's a good deal if you ask me, given the caliber of the whiskey. I've spent way more than that on expensive bar pours of THH 2016. My local LS also has one on the shelf for ~$400, but they don't seem likely to cut price...

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

A local store that gets a large amount of limiteds and prices them at secondary prices has had THH on the shelf for $400-500 since last fall. THH may be my favorite rye and I did get one bottle last year from a different store which I've been drinking, but slowly. A couple months ago they dropped the price to $299. When I saw that, I told myself I'd be a buyer at $200. Yesterday it happened. The price dropped to $199 and I bought both bottles. I post when I buy at a good deal and I post when I pay over retail. I am sometimes willing to do this for stuff that I love and THH is right there in that group for me. I will drink these bottles and now that I have some cushion, I'll drink it more regularly. Happy to share with my MD peeps if you guys want to get together. 

That's awesome.  I saw it at $300 when I was there about a month ago.  I probably would have got one at $200.

I appreciate the desire to have one and THH is delightful whiskey.

Given it is 6yo CS whiskey I have struggled to pay even $100. Indeed I don't think I ever have bought one for even $100 but then of course I haven't bought one in several years as a result since they are almost always more than that these days!

But then I think Kentucky Owl, an 11yo mystery cask strength whiskey, at $130 is a lot more than I am willing to pay.

Of course I don't always listen to myself, having bought Booker's rye for the painful price it demanded, so I can be rather inconsistent in the application of my "indignance" regarding price! :lol:

Yeah, on paper 6 y.o. rye for $200 isn't good optics, but it's great whiskey to my tastes and worth it to me. As we know, it's not always about proof and time in the barrel. Most important is taste. 

On 9/9/2017 at 4:31 PM, JoeTerp said:

That's awesome.  I saw it at $300 when I was there about a month ago.  I probably would have got one at $200.

I'd probably buy at 200 also.  If it's at $300, offer the manager $200 cash and he might deal.  I've used this tactic on some dusty, but pricey, single malts and scored some nice deals.   You'd be surprised how well a cash offer can grease the wheels.  

On 9/9/2017 at 6:59 PM, Charlutz said:

Yeah, on paper 6 y.o. rye for $200 isn't good optics, but it's great whiskey to my tastes and worth it to me. As we know, it's not always about proof and time in the barrel. Most important is taste. 

What's most important is what you enjoy and what you want to spend your money on.

I've bought a few bottles at inflated prices, because they were something I really wanted and enjoyed.

My personal rule with pricing is never to buy at a price that's higher than what I'd be willing to drink the bottle for.

Why THH isn't a regularly stocked non-limited item is beyond me. BT must have tons of that rye recipe laid down, and it can't be that hard to ramp up a 6yr product. This boom/bubble has been going on for nearly that long already.

I know THH is specially selected as the better barrels, but geez. At $80 retail they'd be getting about twice what they get for baby Saz, once you factor in the dilution of baby Saz. It would probably become a premium cocktail staple.

I agree 100%.  From what I observe, this seems to be BT's policy with anything that isn't mash bill #1 bourbon.  Stores by me hold regular Saz Rye behind the counter @ $50 like some holy unicorn.

Woodinville Whiskey (local distillery less than 10 miles from me) had a cool event this past weekend where you could go to the distillery and try from three different barrels of their 100% rye whiskey. Straight from the cask.You could then buy up to two bottles from one of the casks and you got to fill it directly from the barrel. Barrel ages ranged from 5yrs 1mo to 5yrs 5mo (I think). All three were good and I chose the slightly older one. It came in at about 121 proof. Really cool to see these guys coming into their own and releasing some cool products.

Agree Steve. I'm pretty excited about all the ryes asleep in the wood. Pikesville at 6yrs is pretty delicious. I think ryes get interesting a bit faster than bourbons do, but of course there are always exceptions.

Either way, a whole lot of new rye is about to hit 6ys plus. Time is on our side.

15 hours ago, Paddy said:

Baby Saz...

Moving some stuff around last night I found that I have a 1.75L of Baby Saz and 2 750s.  I'm going to have to step up my Sazerac cocktail game!  I've also got some RittBIB, Willett 3 Year and the recently purchased KYOWL and a HWYKY.  Looks like a rye winter ahead.  I didn't realize I had that much rye as I definitely prefer the sweetness of bourbon to the spice of rye.  When you get a rye like a THH that has both though I really enjoy that.  As someone else mentioned, I don't know why THH isn't a regular premium offering of 6yo barrel proof Saz.  

16 hours ago, Clueby said:

I succumbed to temptation.

20170926_184827_crop_299x965.jpg

Any good? Just got word there's one waiting for me if I want it but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger... I really enjoy THH and Pikesville so at $130 the Owl isn't looking very attractive... it would have to be AMAZING to earn a spot on the bar...

Edited by JTaylor

1 hour ago, JTaylor said:

Any good? Just got word there's one waiting for me if I want it but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger... I really enjoy THH and Pikesville so at $130 the Owl isn't looking very attractive... it would have to be AMAZING to earn a spot on the bar...

Haven't tried it yet. Just picked it up last night. The $ was a hard pill to swallow. 0895 tried it last night and said it was good..shared similarities with HWRR but at obviously higher age and $.

4 hours ago, JTaylor said:

If you're a fan of Barton rye, I think you'll really enjoy it.

So easy drinking it's dangerous.

Shares so much with HW rendezvous rye (a personal favorite of mine), but also somewhat different.

I'm not sure if the Owl is all Barton, or a mixture of different stuff, but at first sip I was shocked by how familiar it was (smell and taste).

I was 2 glasses in before I remembered it was a week night.

:)

On 9/27/2017 at 2:08 PM, 0895 said:

If you're a fan of Barton rye, I think you'll really enjoy it.

So easy drinking it's dangerous.

Shares so much with HW rendezvous rye (a personal favorite of mine), but also somewhat different.

I'm not sure if the Owl is all Barton, or a mixture of different stuff, but at first sip I was shocked by how familiar it was (smell and taste).

I was 2 glasses in before I remembered it was a week night.

:)

So accurate. We did a side by side with a special bottle from High West (16 year old component of the RR) and it seemed to be similar but better version of this. They were Insert other media both very good but with the 16 year rye being completely unavailable, this is the next best choice. I did not know they were the same distillate, very interesting...

I picked an Owl up as well a few nights ago. Got to spend a few minutes with Dixon the master distiller and was able to sample a little. It was smooth initially but def felt the proof after swallowing. Hard to get much out of a tiny pour in a plastic cup with no water between sips. 

Little out of my price range. So this bottle was purchased for a friend who is very excited to have it. Maybe I will finagle a proper taste down the road... 

Here is the picture.  It was too large to send from my  iphone.  Signed at the top by Dixon, the blender.  

Side note,  the picture was too large for me to upload from my iphone directly had to email it to myself then post.  There to be an easier way right?

IMG_1771.JPG

Over the weekend I picked up a bottle of my favorite, Pikesville, for $36.95. I should’ve grabbed multiples. Oh well. 

• I like it 1

Found a 750 of Wild Turkey Rye 101, still in the Austin Nichols bottle. It was on the bottom shelf and covered in dust. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.