What Rye did you purchase today (Spring/Summer 2017)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 minutes ago, Niner Outlaw said:

Found a 750 of Wild Turkey Rye 101, still in the Austin Nichols bottle. It was on the bottom shelf and covered in dust. 

Nice, enjoy that!

4 hours ago, Niner Outlaw said:

Found a 750 of Wild Turkey Rye 101, still in the Austin Nichols bottle. It was on the bottom shelf and covered in dust. 

Would love to find one of those to compare to the current stuff!

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Would love to find one of those to compare to the current stuff!

Remind me and I'll bring one to the sampler.

14 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Remind me and I'll bring one to the sampler.

Will do!

On 10/7/2017 at 4:46 PM, kevinbrink said:

IMG_20171007_173437104.jpg

How is that stuff?

I keep seeing it, trying to resist......but I love rye.

39 minutes ago, 0895 said:

How is that stuff?

Did not love the first couple pours I had. I'll get back to it again was definitely having an off night the first tie I had it.

How is that stuff?

I recently worked my way through a sample and found it to be a solid rye with a Jack Daniels accent. Not earth shattering or even really a contemplative rye. Just a solid utility pour for cocktails or occasional sipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Did not love the first couple pours I had. I'll get back to it again was definitely having an off night the first tie I had it.

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

I recently worked my way through a sample and found it to be a solid rye with a Jack Daniels accent. Not earth shattering or even really a contemplative rye. Just a solid utility pour for cocktails or occasional sipping.

Appreciate the info.  I'll probably hold off for now until I can try it somewhere.

WT 101 rye has become my current cocktail and everyday sipping rye, with baby Saz and  HW double rye or various mgp ryes as backups/alternatives.

....and it doesn't sound like the JD rye is going to be better than any of those.

Also, I wasn't super impressed with the JD single barrel rye that came out last year (the one in the maroon box).

12 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Appreciate the info.  I'll probably hold off for now until I can try it somewhere.

WT 101 rye has become my current cocktail and everyday sipping rye, with baby Saz and  HW double rye or various mgp ryes as backups/alternatives.

....and it doesn't sound like the JD rye is going to be better than any of those.

Also, I wasn't super impressed with the JD single barrel rye that came out last year (the one in the maroon box).

At least here a lot of the stores have 50mls of the JD rye so you could always pick 1 or 2 of those up.

3 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

At least here a lot of the stores have 50mls of the JD rye so you could always pick 1 or 2 of those up.

good point.

I'll start looking.

7 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

One of the benefits of dealing with a company that perfected mass production decades ago.

So I go to my neighborhood ABC this morning to pick up some Sazerac which I found was delivered yesterday and was already out. And while the clerk was calling a nearby store to see if they had any left I'm browsing the shelves and I see 3 bottles of Pikesville sitting there pretty as you please. I told another clerk about the internet saying there was none to be had in the state he looks all befuddled and says they've had it for a few months now.  I get home and it still says none available anywhere for sale. But I was determined to snag some Baby Saz. :D

IMG_0023.JPG

I just don't get the allocations in some states. Baby Saz is readily available in many stores west Tennessee for $30 or less! I like it well enough, but there are many other Ryes that I like better and are just as cheap or cheaper.

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I just don't get the allocations in some states. Baby Saz is readily available in many stores west Tennessee for $30 or less! I like it well enough, but there are many other Ryes that I like better and are just as cheap or cheaper.

Not quite readily available here but you can find it if you go to a few stores, and in all other ways I agree with your statement.

Edited by kevinbrink

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Yeah, It's definitely interesting.  In STL, baby saz is treated as a special bottle, like Elmer T Lee or OWA.  Stores Surcharge it to $40-$70, and put it in raffles and people fight over it.

Drive 15-20 minutes into IL and it's sitting on the shelf collecting dust almost every single day.

1 minute ago, 0895 said:

Yeah, It's definitely interesting.  In STL, baby saz is treated as a special bottle, like Elmer T Lee or OWA.  Stores Surcharge it to $40-$70, and put it in raffles and people fight over it.

Drive 15-20 minutes into IL and it's sitting on the shelf collecting dust almost every single day.

I will chime in and say none of those three are particularly special, Baby Saz is at best fairly priced at retail, ETL isn't a great value as it's retail increases, but OWA is still a pretty good value at retail and not really even bad in the $30's considering the proof. 

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I will chime in and say none of those three are particularly special, Baby Saz is at best fairly priced at retail, ETL isn't a great value as it's retail increases, but OWA is still a pretty good value at retail and not really even bad in the $30's considering the proof. 

Well, I kinda meant "special" for my "area".  These are pretty hard to find around here and people seem to go nuts about them.

Not really voicing my opinions on these particular bottles... just clarifying. :):):)

Just now, 0895 said:

Well, I kinda meant "special" for my "area".  These are pretty hard to find around here and people seem to go nuts about them.

Not really voicing my opinions on these particular bottles... just clarifying. :):):)

Fair, admittedly I seem to be in some sort of BT bashing mood tonight.

I think they are all still decent values at regular retail. The problem in some areas, of course, is finding them at retail or finding them at all because allocations are so lopsided in different areas.

14 hours ago, DCFan said:

So I go to my neighborhood ABC this morning to pick up some Sazerac which I found was delivered yesterday and was already out. And while the clerk was calling a nearby store to see if they had any left I'm browsing the shelves and I see 3 bottles of Pikesville sitting there pretty as you please. I told another clerk about the internet saying there was none to be had in the state he looks all befuddled and says they've had it for a few months now.  I get home and it still says none available anywhere for sale. But I was determined to snag some Baby Saz. :D

IMG_0023.JPG

My $0.02, but I think Pikesville is superior to Baby Saz.  In fact I think Pikesville might be the best thing that you can find in VA without a lot of effort.

In fact I picked up a Pikesville when I hit up an ABC.  I also got a VA rye that interested me. 

va001.jpg

5 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

My $0.02, but I think Pikesville is superior to Baby Saz.  In fact I think Pikesville might be the best thing that you can find in VA without a lot of effort.

I'm guessing the little higher proof is what makes it better.  Saz has a lite finish (based on the 1 pour I had yesterday).  I thought long and hard about telling the clerk to cancel calling the other store for a Saz and just taking the Pike but I went there looking for the Saz and I went with that.  I'll definitely enjoy the bottle I got and then move on to Pikesville the next go around. That's what I like about all this is the plethora of choices we have out there. ;)

7 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Fair, admittedly I seem to be in some sort of BT bashing mood tonight.

All that talk about Weller and PVW scarcity in the other thread, eh? ;)

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

All that talk about Weller and PVW scarcity in the other thread, eh? ;)

Yeah and honestly Weller isn't particularly scarce for me, one of my locals almost always has OWA on the shelf. In general I think I just find BT's stuff to be a bit overrated and over priced, and for all the complaints about other brands removing age statements at least they don't leave 8's, 10's and 6's on the bottles. The only products that seem like good values to me in their lineup are ER, Stagg Jr and the Wellers if you can find them at retail and I wouldn't argue with the retail price on BTAC save maybe Handy Rye. That's not to say I don't buy and enjoy their products, I just think they kind of irk me. 

12 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

In fact I picked up a Pikesville when I hit up an ABC.  I also got a VA rye that interested me. 

I will be curious to know if the Catoctin Rye still interests you after trying it! I find it interesting but in need of a little more time in the barrel. Like most craft stuff I suppose.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.