What Rye did you purchase today (Spring/Summer 2017)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I will be curious to know if the Catoctin Rye still interests you after trying it! I find it interesting but in need of a little more time in the barrel. Like most craft stuff I suppose.

I'll definitely let you know.   I know it's young , but we'll see what the distillate tastes like at cask proof.

Found the MWND courtesy of a tip from a fellow SBer.  Also ended up picking up a bunch of other ryes.

rye-1021.jpg

13 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Found the MWND courtesy of a tip from a fellow SBer.  Also ended up picking up a bunch of other ryes.

Looks like you made a trip across the Point of Rocks bridge? :)

4 hours ago, DCFan said:

Looks like you made a trip across the Point of Rocks bridge? :)

Sadly I don't actually know the bridge that you're referring to, but I'd imagine this is talking about Maryland.  And yeah this required a trip to Maryland as the only things I'm aware that VA ABC carries from that picture are the Rendezvous Rye and the Double Rye!.  And those were nearly $20 cheaper a piece as the High West products are very expensive in VA ($62.99 vs. $83.59 for the RR and $22.99 vs. $40.99 for the DR).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 9:39 AM, kevinbrink said:

Yeah and honestly Weller isn't particularly scarce for me, one of my locals almost always has OWA on the shelf. In general I think I just find BT's stuff to be a bit overrated and over priced, and for all the complaints about other brands removing age statements at least they don't leave 8's, 10's and 6's on the bottles. The only products that seem like good values to me in their lineup are ER, Stagg Jr and the Wellers if you can find them at retail and I wouldn't argue with the retail price on BTAC save maybe Handy Rye. That's not to say I don't buy and enjoy their products, I just think they kind of irk me. 

I'm very surprised to hear that you say BT's products are "over priced".  I think that they are all quite a value at retail save for maybe Blanton's (and that's debatable) and Hancock's (which is not really officially one of their line).

Which of their products do you find are "over priced" at MSRP?

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, meadeweber said:

I'm very surprised to hear that you say BT's products are "over priced".  I think that they are all quite a value at retail save for maybe Blanton's (and that's debatable) and Hancock's (which is not really officially one of their line).

Which of their products do you find are "over priced" at MSRP?

If you like the flavor profile of BT products more than other brands the argument is pretty much moot, personally most (not all) of my favorites are HH, Beam and WT products. Based purely on Age/Proof (never mind that BT has very few age stated bourbons) they aren't priced well compared to those brands one example is CEHT SB at $40, in a similar age/proof but cheaper (at least here) are WT101, OE107, Knob Creek, Four Roses Single barrel, not to mention HM BIB which has a few years of age over it.  RHF and Bowman single barrel are (supposedly) similarly aged/proofed and I essentially could make the same argument. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 2:09 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I will be curious to know if the Catoctin Rye still interests you after trying it! I find it interesting but in need of a little more time in the barrel. Like most craft stuff I suppose.

I concur.  Being a 100% rye it has a more unique flavor compared to most other ryes I've had.  At 2 years it definitely shows it's age...or rather lack thereof.  A few more years would make this very interesting.  For the record, I've had the 92 proof version of the Rounstone.

Came across these today and decided to come back home with one each.  Available in NYC for 110 plus tax so this is a much better deal.  Think I may save them for the next big family gathering at Xmas.

IMG_1235.jpg

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 1

I was intrigued by this one, for $35 I took the plunge, plus it came in a beautiful tube to add to the top class look of the BH Tunic and fancy belt. I wanted to hate this but honestly I'm enjoying my first pour quite a bit.  Tastes like what it is (not what it is marketed as) a premium bottled cocktail.

IMG_20171124_182320955.jpg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2017 at 3:39 PM, kevinbrink said:

I was intrigued by this one, for $35 I took the plunge, plus it came in a beautiful tube to add to the top class look of the BH Tunic and fancy belt. I wanted to hate this but honestly I'm enjoying my first pour quite a bit.  Tastes like what it is (not what it is marketed as) a premium bottled cocktail.

IMG_20171124_182320955.jpg

What do you think?

One of my friends brought this to Thanksgiving. I thought it was decent but wasn't wowed. I'm also not usually impressed with port/sherry finished whiskies.

Everyone else thought it was great though.

10 hours ago, flahute said:

What do you think?

One of my friends brought this to Thanksgiving. I thought it was decent but wasn't wowed. I'm also not usually impressed with port/sherry finished whiskies.

Everyone else thought it was great though.

Apart from the stupid packaging and the price I like it, also wish it was marketed as a bottled cocktail instead of claiming to be a rye. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found CEHT Rye today, but I haven’t opened it yet.  Passed on AE Rye at $90.  Should I rethink?

54 minutes ago, Sour Mash Esq. said:

I finally found CEHT Rye today, but I haven’t opened it yet.  Passed on AE Rye at $90.  Should I rethink?

IMO, you got the better of the two...

13 hours ago, Sour Mash Esq. said:

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

IMO, you got the better of the two...

For more classic rye whiskey drinking I think I would have to agree. But the AE rye is (or at least was, haven't bought a bottle recently) an unusual and pretty distinctly unique whiskey from the impact of the rum cask aging. Essentially a dessert whiskey almost like an old fashioned cocktail in a bottle. I really enjoyed them both.

So buying one of each is always the correct SB.com answer! :lol:

• I like it 2

I opened the CEHT and wow, it is delicious.  Like every other CEHT product I’ve tried (now everything except the four grain I think) it’s now on my “buy on sight” list.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.