What Rye did you purchase today (Spring/Summer 2017)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

IMG_1587.thumb.JPG.a798940e70199278bcdfa28884640f17.JPGI picked up a WP Boss Hog 3 this past week. I really enjoyed the 13y. The color on the 14y is much darker then the 13y, I know it's a SB so it could just be this particular barrel. I'll let y'all know how good it is when I open it. 

IMG_1586.thumb.JPG.840b33bd5ab93458c9ffb453c5863de5.JPG

Edited by LCWoody

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my first bottle of Rittenhouse BIB and am very impressed by it. A very rich flavor that agrees with my palate(hopefully someday I get better at identifying the flavors so I can give a more in depth review). But it's good!

Seen these sitting on the overstock/reduction area of the liquor store I special ordered a bottle at. Asked how much if I took all 6 and they marked it down further. Paid 36 for first bottle and I didn't think that was to terrible.  Had to chuckle when I got home and checked the numbers on thr bottom. Same case:rolleyes:

1492037032622-282610661.jpg

1 hour ago, bourbon4all said:

Seen these sitting on the overstock/reduction area of the liquor store I special ordered a bottle at. Asked how much if I took all 6 and they marked it down further. Paid 36 for first bottle and I didn't think that was to terrible.  Had to chuckle when I got home and checked the numbers on thr bottom. Same case:rolleyes:

1492037032622-282610661.jpg

Nice score!

One of my stores had a case of baby saz at $29.99 so I grabbed a couple more to stash. Other than in New Orleans, that's the best price around me. Also grabbed a bottle of Pikesville at $55. I can sometimes find it at $45 after a coupon but that store hasn't had it in stock in a couple months and I've gone without. It's one of my favorites. 

Passed on Pikesville today at Sams for $46.58. Shouldn't have in retrospect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually purchased my first bottle of Rye today.  I was picking up a bottle of Old Forester Single Barrel and at the check out I looked over and spied something I'd never seen in town before.  I nodded at it and the guy said sure, he had it up front for another guy but had some more bottles so I said I'll take it.  Brought this home.

20170421_124153_zpsbpoxug58.jpeg

Checked out one of my go to's and was able to try the Basil Hayden rye - meh. They had an Old Maysville Club, from Old Pogue. Bottled in bond.  Tastes like rye is supposed to taste. Baking spices, smooth, full finish. NAS, but if I had to guess would think around 6 years.  $50 and, to me, fair value for what is in the bottle. 

IMG_1598.JPG

^^^ I think this is aged four years, 100% malted rye and pot still distilled.  I'm sure the added two years helped a lot, as the Five Father's they initially came out with was a bit grainy and rough.

@ $50, doesn't seem like a bad deal.  Thanks for posting!   

Maybe not th best gauge, but I used the color as the primary factor in gauging its age. Thanks for the info!

On 4/26/2017 at 2:11 PM, El Vino said:

Checked out one of my go to's and was able to try the Basil Hayden rye - meh. 

Huh, you musta' had the same bad bottle of BH Rye that I got!.  Glad it's not JUST me (or maybe it is?).  Everyone else here seems to love it!?!  :blink:

No rye character in the sample I had. I'd far prefer the Rittenhouse rye or baby Saz. If you can find some, the Maysville Club won't disappoint.

On 5/4/2017 at 3:49 AM, GeeTen said:

Huh, you musta' had the same bad bottle of BH Rye that I got!.  Glad it's not JUST me (or maybe it is?).  Everyone else here seems to love it!?!  :blink:

I think it's a stretch to say that everyone here loves it. Only a few have tried it that I'm aware of. Collective jury is still out on this one.

5 hours ago, flahute said:

I think it's a stretch to say that everyone here loves it. Only a few have tried it that I'm aware of. Collective jury is still out on this one.

Sorry Steve, English is not my native language . . . . . :lol:

1 minute ago, GeeTen said:

Sorry Steve, English is not my native language . . . . . :lol:

Haha! No excuses!

• 2 weeks later...

My curiosity got the better of me and I bought a bottle of the Basil Hayden rye. I'll post some notes over in the BH rye thread when I open it, which should be soon.

4 hours ago, Kpiz said:

My curiosity got the better of me and I bought a bottle of the Basil Hayden rye. I'll post some notes over in the BH rye thread when I open it, which should be soon.

Hmm, that damned curiosity can get you into trouble...

46 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Hmm, that damned curiosity can get you into trouble...

It can and it does. I guess you know how that goes, eh Bruce? :lol:

Far too many times! Often with young grainy ryes like Corsair, Corbin Cash, Goldrun, Resurgens, Oppidan. Or Jack Daniels! I kept thinking one of these times I was going to find one I liked.

I am now out of that business! Probably...

At least the BH rye is not young.

Edited by tanstaafl2

50 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Far too many times! Often with young grainy ryes like Corsair, Corbin Cash, Goldrun, Resurgens, Oppidan. Or Jack Daniels! I kept thinking one of these times I was going to find one I liked.

I am now out of that business! Probably...

At least the BH rye is not young.

Yeah that Goldrun was rough. I bought a bottle of the Corbin Cash after trying (and liking) it at Whiskeys of the World in SF a few years ago, though it's quite possible my palate was in tatters by the time I tried it that night. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be dog whiskey when I finally open it.

Good point about the BH. Still, I'm not surprised it is getting some very mixed reviews here. In case you don't get to try it elsewhere, I know a guy who just bought a bottle and would be happy to spare a couple ounces...

Thanks. I think I might save samples for things a bit more exotic then BH which I can likely eventually get a chance to try locally.

Maybe I am "disremembering" the Corbin Cash.  I will have to try it again.

Bought this on a whim, assuming it is MGP since it's 95% rye, cask strength MGP Rye with age on it isn't as easy to come by around here than it was a couple years ago so 6 years for $60 I was good with.

WP_20170528_21_30_57_Pro.jpg

23 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Bought this on a whim, assuming it is MGP since it's 95% rye, cask strength MGP Rye with age on it isn't as easy to come by around here than it was a couple years ago so 6 years for $60 I was good with.

WP_20170528_21_30_57_Pro.jpg

hmmmm. ineresting, tell us more.

had some 3 year WFE rye at a friend's tonight. My second time with a second bottle of the 3 year / 110 proof rye. I have to say I like it, and can't wait to see how it is at 4 years, then 5........

I still have multiples of SAOS rye single barrel BP at 7-9 years old, but I wouldnt hesitate to try another MGP bottler of barrel proof rye at 6 years....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.