BOTM 4/17: Old Fitzgerald BIB

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Why not worth the trouble?

Because I probably won't act on it, because I highly doubt it's distributed anywhere close to me. Next time I'm in KY I'll just pick up a bottle.

Come to think of it, scratch my question, I shouldn't waste SBers time when I could waste mine or Heaven Hill's customer service rep's time instead ????

Earlier, it was discussed here (somewhere) that it's only presently distributed in Ky.  I realize that some stock is still out there in other states, but some of the guys in Indiana (if I recall correctly) were being told that it's going the way of the dodo bird elsewhere. 

I guess in the time it took us to type this, either one of us could have emailed HH... but that would take all the fun out of it, wouldn't it? :D

Oops, on my post above the 4 question marks were supposed to be a smiley face but it didn't come through and now I can't edit it.  I didn't mean any sarcasm, I was sincere

• 3 weeks later...

It seems I pretty much mimic everyone else's opinion on OFitz BiB. A good, solid bottom shelfer. Not something I'd reach for everyday, but nice to have on the shelf for reference purposes. I haven't tried mixing it yet... I like MM and Sprite so I might see how this one does with Sprite or Ginger Ale. Might make a good go-to cocktail for sitting out by the pool this summer.

• 3 months later...

I know I'm a couple of months late for this thread.  Bought a bottle in IL to take home.  Still on the shelves in Springfield, and has been for the last few months (Friar Tuck's).  

• 3 weeks later...

Its still in the north suburbs of Chicago.  I haven't seen it at many places.  I stopped into a newer shop and they had about 30 bottles.  I told the owner this is getting harder to find.  He seemed to think it was no big deal.  "I have guys who come in and buy three bottles at a time, when it runs out I order more...that and Old Grand Dad."

I did the Heaven Hills tasting last week when I was in KY and the person in charge let us sample Henry McKenna then went around the room and asked where people were from.  When I said Chicago, he said "oh Henry McKenna sells great there."  When the poor guy from Colorado said where he was from the guy in charge goes, "oh we don't distribute it there."  I wanted to tell the Heaven Hills guy, "hey maybe it sells well in Chicago because you put it on the actual shelf."

On 9/21/2017 at 8:34 AM, alstevens said:

I did the Heaven Hills tasting last week when I was in KY and the person in charge let us sample Henry McKenna then went around the room and asked where people were from.  When I said Chicago, he said "oh Henry McKenna sells great there."  When the poor guy from Colorado said where he was from the guy in charge goes, "oh we don't distribute it there."  I wanted to tell the Heaven Hills guy, "hey maybe it sells well in Chicago because you put it on the actual shelf."

The less cynical possibility is that they keep track of sales in all the places they do distribute to and know where it sells well. Of course we've all learned over the years that you can't always trust what you hear from distillery tour guides and the like.

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2017 at 6:27 PM, flahute said:

The less cynical possibility is that they keep track of sales in all the places they do distribute to and know where it sells well. Of course we've all learned over the years that you can't always trust what you hear from distillery tour guides and the like.

Sorry I guess I sounded a little cynical.

I have located two places in the Chicago suburbs that stocks OF BIB.  I spoke with both owners and was told it sells well, one owner said "guys come in and buy it two bottles at a time."

I feel if Heaven Hill marketed this stuff like Beam is with the "olds" it would catch on with a slightly hipster crowd.  Not implying this is a good thing, but it would possibly sell better.  I really do feel there is a market with my generation to buy things our Grandfathers did.

It's good stuff and now that Old Grandad has gone up a few bucks it is probably my favorite bargain bonded.

Old Fitz BIB showed up at a auction here in Texas. Since it's non existent here people where passing up W12 to get a bottle. Strange how distribution works.

• I like it 1

On 12/19/2017 at 5:18 PM, HoustonNit said:

Old Fitz BIB showed up at a auction here in Texas. Since it's non existent here people where passing up W12 to get a bottle. Strange how distribution works.

How much did the Old Fitz go for?

21 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I believe stand retail maybe a couple bucks more sorry not auction, raffle

Too bad TX us do far I’d bring you a case of it for some Weller.   

They may be disappointed (unless the W12 was seriously marked up). The most recent Old Fitz BiB I had (admittedly 2 yrs ago) was so rough and caustic, that I dumped the bottle.

Standard pricing $25 for Old Fitz 1Liter and $35 for 1 liter W12.

I like W12 more than Old Fitz BiB but I still think it's a good pour. Maybe you had an off bottle.
  • I like it 1

Too bad you had a bad bottle of OFBIB.  Try it again.   You couldn’t even make cocktails out of it it was so bad?   

It’s turned to my go to budget bottle now that Old Grand Dad has the price increase.    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.