Old Forester 1920 or Stagg Jr?

JPK
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi Everyone.

I'm trying to decide on which to try...Old Forester 1920 or Stagg Jr.

I was really leaning towards Stagg Jr until I started reading reviews on the OF 1920.

I wish I can could afford both...but that just isn't happening...lol

In my neck of the woods Stagg Jr is $50 and the OF1920 is $60.

I like a good bit of sweetness, a thick mouth feel, quite a bit of oak, carmel/toffee, and some clove/cinnamon, and appreciate some char/smoke in my favorite pours.

My old fav was EC12....(still need to try the BF version..but after trying the new NAS EC..I'm not so hot to try the EC BP)

Right now I enjoy EWB for a cheap pour or if I want some stronger flavors I'll pour some Old Ezra.

My fav Scotch is Lappy CS. It towers over the regular Lappy 10yr with some much more flavor it's incredible.

I'm hoping the Stagg Jr or OF1920 will have the same flavor intensity increase by being a fairly high abv.

I tried OF86 when getting into bourbon and didn't bother to buy again...just wasn't my thing.

I can hardly remember it..just remember not being impressed.

From what I've read the OF 1920 is quite a stand out among OF products so I'm not giving my past experience with OF too much weight.

I'm not afraid of the proof of either...in fact I'm looking forward to trying a high proof.

Anyway...I'd really like to hear what you all have to say.

Thank you

John

You can't go wrong with either one imho... but if you really liked EC12 and are looking for flavor intensity I think you'd be doing yourself a favor if you tried the ECBP. That being said... I found ECBP batch A113 to be less flavorful than the C916. The C916 is one of my absolute favorites. 

Oh, and where in Michigan are you seeing Stagg jr.? I need to pick up another and see it VERY rarely in my neck of the woods...

Thanks for your thoughts JTaylor.

I haven't actually seen either...just getting ready to put in an order and see what happens.

Greetings, JPK, from Mid MI.  I've seen the 1920 on the shelves around here as recently as yesterday at 59.99.  I've tasted both recently.  My suggestion is to get the 1920 first.  Stagg Jr has been an ongoing release.  However, it is not clear that 1920 will be a forever release from BF.  So, it may be worth trying it while it's certainly available.

MH

OF1920 has sweetness and an oily mouth feel but has more of a fruit character to it.  Stagg Jr has way more oak and an overall more robust character. I like them both but lean more toward SJR.  I like ECBP better than either. 

I have also been interested in trying OF1920. Don't give up ECBP if you can get your hands on it. I have only had it in the old bottle but it was a great pour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

OF1920 has sweetness and an oily mouth feel but has more of a fruit character to it.  Stagg Jr has way more oak and an overall more robust character. I like them both but lean more toward SJR.  I like ECBP better than either. 

Interesting... I've only had one bourbon that I'd really describe as fruity.

That would be eagle rare.

I liked it enough as it was something very different than anything else I've tried....but it wasn't what I look for in a bourbon.

..in fact (though I have never really tried much) I thought Eagle rare tasted almost the way I would imagine a cognac or brandy might taste. Almost a sweetened, fortified, oaky, riesling wine.

anyway..just my imagination..

I read somewhere that someone confirmed the Whiskey row series is here to stay.

(I know someone/somewhere...I don't give a lot of credit to it..so I don't expect you to either..lol)

I have had that thought too about the 1920 might not be around long.

...heck...I thought EC12 would be around forever too though...lol

Which brings up your points of ECBP.

I was so disappointed in the new taste of the NAS ECSB I haven't wanted to spend $$ on it.

I find a certain flavor in the new EC that is really off putting...can't put my finger on it...but it actually gives me the shivers.

I thought it was a mental thing. My Wife gave me a blind tasting (literally with eyes closed) with it mixed in with 3 other pours..that new flavor just explodes for me..in an awful way..lol

I'd like to get that at a bar somewhere just to try it as I've always had a want to sample that one rolling around.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

It really does help to hear your views and advice.

Also...some new/different ways of looking at the process.

Thank you

Edited by JPK

Your comments on the new EC NAS are concerning as I also love EC12. That being said I'd still consider ECBP, it's still age stated and I would assume they use the better barrels.

I would consider finding a bar that has all Barrel proofs you are considering and get a half pour of each, which I did recently with OF1920, Booker's and ECBP. It might costs about half a bottle price to do this but it's better than being stuck with a bottle you don't enjoy. For me ECBP was way better than the others. I'd also consider Booker's if you can find it for under $60. I thought Booker's while not as good as ECBP, better than OF1920 and Stagg Jr.

Good luck.

If you didn't like eagle rare I'm not sure you would like stag jr. They are the same mash bill, and the Stagg is likely not aged as long.

I like the sjr better, but I haven't had much 1920. I don't think I like the 1920 enough to spend $60.

If you like oak and ewsb I would also recommend HMKBIB

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

To the OP:

Your 'dilemma' is the reason whiskey bars were invented. 

Problem solved. 

/close thread/

:)

Edited by Charlutz
Added smiley to show I was being somewhat facetious as I know we all come here to talk about our experiences with whiskey. But seriously, if you are spending that much time deciding, find a bar or friend who will let you taste. Good luck!

18 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

To the OP:

Your 'dilemma' is the reason whiskey bars were invented. 

Problem solved. 

/close thread/

:)

Yeah...thanks for the help. Too bad there isn't a decent whisky bar with anything I feel like trying in a 40+ mile radius. Heck with everything that comes along with a longer trip like dinner for 5 (or a baby sitter) I could get both bottles...and I'm just trying not to waste my meager whiskey budget on one....lol

14 minutes ago, JPK said:

Yeah...thanks for the help. Too bad there isn't a decent whisky bar with anything I feel like trying in a 40+ mile radius. Heck with everything that comes along with a longer trip like dinner for 5 (or a baby sitter) I could get both bottles...and I'm just trying not to waste my meager whiskey budget on one....lol

Well that sucks. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Grab one or the other and try. Both are excellent IMO and enjoy fairly widespread approval, on the forum and elsewhere. Add to that both have very few people who don't like them. There are some who don't like them and everyone could probably rank one over the other, but you can't really go wrong with either. Don't let the decision prevent the enjoyment sooner. 

I really do enjoy a thick mouthfeel. I do keep reading about that with the OF1920.

I was surprised at the SJR having the same bill as ER10. I didn't know that. I found ER10 to be very fruity and it was a bit of a turn off for me.

Then to read on and have OF1920 called fruitier than Stagg.

Anybody have $170 I can borrow to try all 3..LOL!

...have to admit, with what you all are saying the ECBP is edging back into my mind...my goodness EC12 was good..lol

Edited by JPK

They are all very good bourbons. Most of us don't ask which is best though. We just buy them all & determine that ourselves! :) If you liked EC12 then ECBP should be an easy pick! It's basically that "goodness" on steroids!

Cheers,

Jeff

I had a chance to try both in the same evening recently. The Stagg JR is fantastic, great flavor and surprisingly drinkable at ~130 proof.

The OF1920 was okay but not really on the same level. At 115 proof it drank hotter than the Stagg JR, and wasn't as complex or interesting.

I'm a big fan of Buffalo Trace whiskey in general though.

Edited by EarthQuake

36 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

The OF1920 was okay but not really on the same level. At 115 proof it drank hotter than the Stagg JR, and wasn't as complex or interesting.

For me, adding a splash of water did wonders for the OF1920. Got rid of the harshness and turned it into a very nice bourbon

They're both good, and honestly, I'd get one, try it, wait for the bourbon budget to refill, then get the other.  Personally I'd start with the Stagg Jr., only because I've recently had a bottle of the OF 1920, and while I enjoyed it, I'm more curious to try the latest batches of Stagg Jr.

Here's my take on these 3 solid pours:

1.  ECBP:. Wow! Great mouthfeel, and unreal flavor at that proof.  Like everyone is saying, you should give this a chance.  Out of the gate, it's amazing.  Batch 11, for me.

2.  OF 1920:. This bottle has a great mouthfeel.  Only thing was my bottle was just so-so, until about halfway through.  The last half was fantastic, though, so I will be purchasing again.

3.  Stagg Jr:. My buddy hated this, so he gave me the last half of his bottle.  To me, this stuff was great, but was a thinner mouthfeel than the other 2.  No heat for the proof, to me, and I loved it.  Dangerously drinkable.

In the end, you really can't go wrong.  Good Luck!

23 hours ago, Louisiana said:

They are all very good bourbons. Most of us don't ask which is best though. We just buy them all & determine that ourselves! :) If you liked EC12 then ECBP should be an easy pick! It's basically that "goodness" on steroids!

Cheers,

Jeff

I second this.

If you haven't tried it yet, then try it. I have made a mistake of buying $40 worth of corn in a bottle but I didn't know I didn't like corn until that bottle. Money well spent IMHO.

I took all your advice in thought.

I ordered a bottle of ECBP...but put a heavy PLEASE stamp on getting a bottle of SJR or OF 1920 for father's day....lol

We'll see what happens..:D

^JP as others mentioned I don't think any of these are bad and you should enjoy whatever you get. Would be nice if you get a bottle of one of the others for Father's Day for comparison purposes.

Here's my take on these 3 solid pours:

1.  ECBP:. Wow! Great mouthfeel, and unreal flavor at that proof.  Like everyone is saying, you should give this a chance.  Out of the gate, it's amazing.  Batch 11, for me.

2.  OF 1920:. This bottle has a great mouthfeel.  Only thing was my bottle was just so-so, until about halfway through.  The last half was fantastic, though, so I will be purchasing again.

3.  Stagg Jr:. My buddy hated this, so he gave me the last half of his bottle.  To me, this stuff was great, but was a thinner mouthfeel than the other 2.  No heat for the proof, to me, and I loved it.  Dangerously drinkable.

In the end, you really can't go wrong.  Good Luck!

Always listen to the opinions of a Russian when it comes to there favorite type of spirit.

Can't go wrong with either.  I really love OF 1920.  However, I would probably opt for Stagg Jr. because it is more versatile.  You can add a little water and have a solid BP bourbon.  You can also blend with BT and have a great blended straight bourbon.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.