30 Year Recommendations

fenderbender4
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I'm turning 30 this year and thought it'd be cool to pick up a 30 year whisk(e)y seeing as it may be the last birthday milestone where I can find some whiskeys without spending a super crap ton of money.  Any recommendations?  I'm more Highlands/Speyside guy.  I know I'm in pricey territory but try to ideally keep it around $400 or less.  Just want to know what's "worth it" or not.  Thanks.

15 hours ago, fenderbender4 said:

So I'm turning 30 this year and thought it'd be cool to pick up a 30 year whisk(e)y seeing as it may be the last birthday milestone where I can find some whiskeys without spending a super crap ton of money.  Any recommendations?  I'm more Highlands/Speyside guy.  I know I'm in pricey territory but try to ideally keep it around $400 or less.  Just want to know what's "worth it" or not.  Thanks.

Honestly the ship has largely sailed on sub $400 30 year old whisky.  I think Benromach 30 comes in right at that, maybe Glenfarclas 30.  There are a few IBs that might be around that price range.  I guess the better question is: what do you have access to in your chosen age and price range?  If you've got a bunch of dusties sitting around, you might be able to get something pretty good.

Alternatively, consider getting a 30 year old brandy, particularly focus on Armagnacs.  Those can be pretty cheap, plenty in the $90-$150 range for a good to great bottle, with some expressions going way higher.

I will send you some info that might help via PM.

Did you want a vintage bottling or just a 30yo? Some of the Independents might have a bottle from various distilleries dated 1987 but that might be tougher to find. And probably more expensive.

I was looking at just a 30 year old.  I would also be open to spending more just can't go for the $1000 bottles and its ilk.  I wasn't quite sure on the price range.  I'm in MN and there really aren't a TON of 30+ other than say maybe a Macallan but I'm not the biggest Macallan fan anyway, let alone the $K's prices.

10 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Honestly the ship has largely sailed on sub $400 30 year old whisky.  I think Benromach 30 comes in right at that, maybe Glenfarclas 30.  There are a few IBs that might be around that price range.  I guess the better question is: what do you have access to in your chosen age and price range?  If you've got a bunch of dusties sitting around, you might be able to get something pretty good.

Alternatively, consider getting a 30 year old brandy, particularly focus on Armagnacs.  Those can be pretty cheap, plenty in the $90-$150 range for a good to great bottle, with some expressions going way higher.

I've had very little exposure to Cognac and Armagnac, but any recommendations?  Thanks!

Maybe a 30 year old blonde would be cheaper than a 30 year old scotch

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Go online to Master of Malt, they have a tool or tab specifically tailored to help you find a gift bottle at a certain age.  They also do their own bottling that are very affordable.  

On 5/6/2017 at 8:30 AM, b1gcountry said:

Maybe a 30 year old blonde would be cheaper than a 30 year old scotch

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Wanna bet?:D

I don't buy Scotch anymore (life situation has changed) but, it has been my experience that Scotch of that age is not worth the asking price. It's good, but...... 

Cragganmore has a 30 year old for under $400.00.... I think.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.