Basil Hayden

TheBrownHound
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

...you mean apart from producing and selling more bourbon than anybody else in the world? :) (unless we're counting JD as bourbon in this case)

They may miss on the high end enthusiast market, but that's not the side on which Beam's bread is buttered.

I wasn't talking about their over-arching strategy, but specifically in the context of this rather esoteric topic. Beam-Suntory has a huge portfolio, and could if they so desired, come up with some very good, and very interesting blends consisting of whiskey from the different distilleries in their umbrella. Instead we get Alberta Dark Batch and Basil Hayden Dark Rye. This is something Suntory does very well with the Hibiki and Nikka lines, and is more common in the Scotch world as well.

To be fair the prevailing logic is that a blend is typically an inferior product, and few North American companies put out exceptional blends of whiskey from multiple distillers, High West being a notable exception. Four Roses is an interesting example here too, while all their stock comes from the same place, they make some fantastic limited edition blends.

So what I'm saying is, Beam-Suntory could make some truly exception blends for the higher end market if they wanted to, but choose not to, which is a shame. I understand this isn't where Beam-Suntory makes their money, but surely they are a large enough conglomerate that this is feasible.

I mean just imagine a 10 year age stated blend of Beam Rye and Alberta Rye, finished in a port barrel and bottled at barrel proof rather than this BH Dark Rye thing, that sounds pretty good, no? Same essential recipe, just with better ingredients.

Edited by EarthQuake

^^^^^I agree with the assertion that Beam consistently misses the mark. I've written before about their "premiumization" strategy which is being handed down from the top. Unfortunately, the strategy thus far consists of unimaginative and mediocre quality products sporting a high price tag. Come on Beam, you can do better. 

• I like it 1

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 12:30 PM, EarthQuake said:

I wasn't talking about their over-arching strategy, but specifically in the context of this rather esoteric topic. Beam-Suntory has a huge portfolio, and could if they so desired, come up with some very good, and very interesting blends consisting of whiskey from the different distilleries in their umbrella. Instead we get Alberta Dark Batch and Basil Hayden Dark Rye. This is something Suntory does very well with the Hibiki and Nikka lines, and is more common in the Scotch world as well.

If Beam Suntory is blending Nikka whisky somebody is going to get in a whole heap of trouble! :D

(Nikka and Suntory are two different companies and the main rivals in Japanese whisky)

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If Beam Suntory is blending Nikka whisky somebody is going to get in a whole heap of trouble! :D

(Nikka and Suntory are two different companies and the main rivals in Japanese whisky)

Derp, you are of course correct. Some of Nikka's products like From The Barrel come from various Nikka distilleries I think. Just got that mixed up in my head as it seemed related. I feel like there were other decent blends from Suntory but can't for the life of me remember them now, maybe Hibiki is the only one worth talking about.

Edited by EarthQuake

16 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Derp, you are of course correct. Some of Nikka's products like From The Barrel come from various Nikka distilleries I think. Just got that mixed up in my head as it seemed related. I feel like there were other decent blends from Suntory but can't for the life of me remember them now, maybe Hibiki is the only one worth talking about.

Not a problem, they are easy to confuse! Nikka has two main malt whisky distilleries, Yoichi and Miyagikyo. They also make grain whisky but I don't think they have a separate facility for it so it must be done at one or both of them.

Suntory also has two main malt distilleries that I know of, Yamazaki and Hakushu and a grain distillery called Chita. Hibiki is blended from all three.

Japanese whisky is also unusual in the way they vary the whisky they make. This quote is about Nikka but Suntory does much the same.

"They're two very different distilleries and countless variables in each process — from the peat levels, yeast, shape of stills, types of casks we use — allow us to produce a wide range of styles of whiskey," Tomoyoshi says.

Suntory has done a lot of blended whisky as well but generally not much is found outside of Japan that I know of other than the Hibiki brand.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Not a problem, they are easy to confuse! Nikka has two main malt whisky distilleries, Yoichi and Miyagikyo. They also make grain whisky but I don't think they have a separate facility for it so it must be done at one or both of them.

Suntory also has two main malt distilleries that I know of, Yamazaki and Hakushu and a grain distillery called Chita. Hibiki is blended from all three.

Japanese whisky is also unusual in the way they vary the whisky they make. This quote is about Nikka but Suntory does much the same.

"They're two very different distilleries and countless variables in each process — from the peat levels, yeast, shape of stills, types of casks we use — allow us to produce a wide range of styles of whiskey," Tomoyoshi says.

Suntory has done a lot of blended whisky as well but generally not much is found outside of Japan that I know of other than the Hibiki brand.

Yeah it's a shame we don't see more Japanese whiskies in the US. My wife and I visited Japan a few years ago but it was before I knew anything about Japanese whiskey. We plan to go again someday but this time we'll devote some time to learning more about it and trying some bottles that we can't get here.

Back on topic, I saw a few bottle of Basil Hayden Dark Rye on the shelves of the local supermarket today for $45. I was tempted to pick it up out of sheer curiosity, but I passed.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:39 PM, EarthQuake said:

Back on topic, I saw a few bottle of Basil Hayden Dark Rye on the shelves of the local supermarket today for $45. I was tempted to pick it up out of sheer curiosity, but I passed.

I would be curious to try the Basil Hayden Dark Rye against the Alberta Dark Batch but I have no inclination to actually buy one of the Basil Hayden myself. That will make it harder I suppose!

I was tempted when it came out but I'm glad I passed after trying it at a store tasting bar.  To be fair though I did taste it against a KYOWL and a JPS18 so it didn't exactly have a chance.

• 3 months later...
On October 19, 2017 at 1:13 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I would be curious to try the Basil Hayden Dark Rye against the Alberta Dark Batch but I have no inclination to actually buy one of the Basil Hayden myself. That will make it harder I suppose!

Bruce, if you haven't tried this yet, I can bring a bottle to Bardstown in April. I got a bottle for Christmas, and also bought a couple bottles before Christmas after tasting it in a shop and seeing that they were disappearing from shelves in most stores around here. It's certainly not the greatest "rye" that I've ever had, but it's pleasant, and works well for those days when I'm in the mood for something different.

11 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Bruce, if you haven't tried this yet, I can bring a bottle to Bardstown in April. I got a bottle for Christmas, and also bought a couple bottles before Christmas after tasting it in a shop and seeing that they were disappearing from shelves in most stores around here. It's certainly not the greatest "rye" that I've ever had, but it's pleasant, and works well for those days when I'm in the mood for something different.

I was never one to refuse any offered whiskey especially if I haven't had it before. Always willing to try it once! Maybe twice, you know, just to fair...

• I like it 1

I was never one to refuse any offered whiskey especially if I haven't had it before. Always willing to try it once! Maybe twice, you know, just to fair...

Well, then I guess I'll bring a bottle with me. Maybe you can bring the Alberta Dark Batch for comparison purposes...you know for scientific purposes. [emoji6][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now, lcpfratn said:

Well, then I guess I'll bring a bottle with me. Maybe you can bring the Alberta Dark Batch for comparison purposes...you know for scientific purposes. emoji6.pngemoji106.png

I can certainly do that! But I may need a reminder closer to the time. I need to start a list already!

I can certainly do that! But I may need a reminder closer to the time. I need to start a list already!

Yeah, I need to start a list too. I'm pretty sure I've also promised to bring a bottle of Prichard's Private Stock Rum and Barrell Batch #011, and probably a few others I'm forgetting about.

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Yeah, I need to start a list too. I'm pretty sure I've also promised to bring a bottle of Prichard's Private Stock Rum and Barrell Batch #011, and probably a few others I'm forgetting about.

No need for any Dickel though.

:D

No need for any Dickel though.
[emoji3]

According to your taste buddies, that Barrell Batch #011 is Dickel, and I just bought a 9 yr Dickel Barrel Select PS that is outstanding...better than the one you liked last Spring in Bardstown. Maybe I should bring both for you. [emoji106][emoji6]

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.