Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection Organic Six Grain Bourbon

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Caught this on Fred Minnick's blog, I'll admit that while I doubt it will be worth the $50 a 750 I will see it for (if I see it) I'll pick one up if I can. My original thought was to name this thread Buffalo Trace All the Dang Grains but figured it would ultimately get lost to a thread merge if someone missed it and created a legitimately titled thread, and who want's perfectly good (bad) humor to be lost to the sands of time...

52 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

You mean 375

Indeed I do.

They have an absurd amount of experimental barrels 14000. How's that for profit at 50 per 375. assuming they are getting 20 25...? of it

I guess four grain wasn't enough, skipped five altogether and went straight to six ... greedy bastardsB)

44 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

They have an absurd amount of experimental barrels 14000. How's that for profit at 50 per 375. assuming they are getting 20 25...? of it

In their defense there is plenty of stuff they don't bottle.

Next up is to borrow a page from the bagel industry.  The Everything Bourbon.  All Grains Ever.

46 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

And yet it's still a fraction of Diageo's "lost" orphan barrels...

Help me out here....

Corn
Rye
Wheat
Malted Barley
Millet?
Oats?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, dcbt said:

And yet it's still a fraction of Diageo's "lost" orphan barrels...

Were the orphan barrel releases THAT big? That equates to like 3? million 750's

28 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

Were the orphan barrel releases THAT big? That equates to like 3? million 750's

How do you figure? I didn't say WHAT fraction...

Fwiw, I think there are about 100K bottles of orphans out there right now.

Edited by dcbt
spacing issues

48 minutes ago, dcbt said:

How do you figure? I didn't say WHAT fraction...

Fwiw, I think there are about 100K bottles of orphans out there right now.

I meant the 14000 barrels equates to roughly 3 million bottles. I was simply asking you if the orphan barrel project was that large. 

That's 14k barrels of all their experiments, not just this 6 grain, right?

...it has to be. Otherwise, we know where the Weller went

8 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I guess four grain wasn't enough, skipped five altogether and went straight to six ... greedy bastardsB)

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out.

7 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

I meant the 14000 barrels equates to roughly 3 million bottles. I was simply asking you if the orphan barrel project was that large. 

Ah, I misread barrels for bottles w.r.t. the BTEC, my bad.

11 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Help me out here....

Corn
Rye
Wheat
Malted Barley
Millet?
Oats?

corn, buckwheat, brown rice, sorghum, wheat, and rice

Just now, kevinbrink said:

Weirdest thing is that there is no malted barley or rye, just Corn/Wheat and a bunch of non standard grains

Wow, that's interesting. Thanks Kevin

10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Is sorghum even an actual 'grain'?

I think so, but I'm not sure about rice

13 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I think so, but I'm not sure about rice

Rice is definitely a cereal grain, as is sorghum, much like wheat, rye or barley which are all in the same general grain bearing grass family. Which they have to be to be considered whiskey. BT made a BTEC a few years ago that was a rice bourbon (using rice instead of rye) . It was kind of a bland whiskey but still whiskey all the same. This is their first use of Sorghum in a BTEC I can recall but anything is possible.

The BT website maintains, for now anyway, a good resource for keeping up with the various BTEC's over the years.

Here is the info they provide on the six grain. Kind of young though for $50 a half bottle, especially compared to some past BTEC releases which ranged from 15 to 20+ years old! But the age has slowly drifted downward on these experiments like everything else I suppose.

Edited by tanstaafl2

The BTEC rice was quite bland, it was like drinking light beer, really light beer.

At least it wasn't quite the dog like the Oat release was. That was awful.

My guess it will be some pretty nondescript tasting whiskey. A curiosity, but not one shelling out $50 for.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, BFerguson said:

The BTEC rice was quite bland, it was like drinking light beer, really light beer.

At least it wasn't quite the dog like the Oat release was. That was awful.

My guess it will be some pretty nondescript tasting whiskey. A curiosity, but not one shelling out $50 for.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h

We did a blind SBS of Rice, Oat and regular off the shelf BT back in the day and the standard BT was the consensus pick by a mile, Oat was by far the least enjoyed.

This will be a pass for me, but I'm sure it will sale in todays market.

• 1 month later...

The Va ABC has 60 bottles at $49.99 (375 ml) that will go in a lottery on 6/28.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.