Rebel Yell 10 Year Single Barrell

Rounderegg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:35 PM, DCFan said:

Think how Harry and I must feel. Here we're living in the most important city in the world and we have to scrounge for the likes of $25 bourbons such as Wellers. They should be sending the best stuff here, just so we can keep things running smoothly for the rest of the common folk across the fruited plain. :D

What city is that, DC? LOL, I work in the actual most important city in the world and while you can find anything you want you have to sell organs you need to do so.

• 3 weeks later...

Jax Liquor in downtown chattanooga Tennessee has at least 12 sitting on the shelf right now. $74.99

• 2 months later...

For those in or around Virginny, the Va ABC has set up a placeholder on their website for RY 10 which will sell at $69.99.

Edited by DCFan

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

For those in or around Virginny, the Va ABC has set up a placeholder on their website for RY 10 which will sell at $69.99.

Even though it's not listed yet, I wouldn't hold my breath that this one doesn't end up hitting lottery (unless they somehow got a large distribution this late in the game).

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

Even though it's not listed yet, I wouldn't hold my breath that this one doesn't end up hitting lottery (unless they somehow got a large distribution this late in the game).

For $70-75 and a possible lottery, I would hope that it's substantially better than Larceny.  

For $70-75 and a possible lottery, I would hope that it's substantially better than Larceny.  

It definitely is. It’s actually one of the best wheated bourbons out there, better than Weller 12 and Weller Antique, and Maker’s Cask imo. Only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

It definitely is. It’s actually one of the best wheated bourbons out there, better than Weller 12 and Weller Antique, and Maker’s Cask imo. Only

Wow, that's quite the testimonial. That's why I love this place. ;)

21 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Wow, that's quite the testimonial. That's why I love this place. ;)

I agree with that testimonial.  RY10 is very good bourbon.

9 hours ago, Jackinbox said:

Real question is this.

Is it better than three Larceny's...  B)

I disagree that it's 'better than' OWA or W12. And I recognize I'm disagreeing with Mr. Wheater himself, Special Reserve. The bottle I had led me to conclude (and what seems to be consistent opinion here) is that RY10 tastes nothing like Weller bourbons. It tastes more like Larceny. I don't care for Larceny and I didn't like the RY10 I had. I got to the point after experimenting with ice and water where it was ok, but I never liked it. Add barrel variation to it and a $50-60 price tag and I'll continue to disagree that it's 'better than' Weller. Some might prefer it,  but that's not me. I think I'm fairly safe in saying don't buy RY10 expecting it to taste like a Weller. You may enjoy it. You may enjoy it more than a Weller. But it's not the same. Fair?

For my tastes and dollar, Larceny>RY10 every day of the week.

I readily admit when I first tried this I wasn't impressed but what I found was that I had an "off palate" night when I first tried it. When I went back to it later I was very impressed and remain that way today. There is variation in the barrels as with any SB product. I went deep last year at lower prices and though I'm not happy with the increase in price I'm about to restock later this month.

For $70 a bottle it's still worth the money and it's not just the retailers moving up the price. The wholesale price went up to very close to what retail was last year.... Blame Luxco for the pricing.

15 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

This might be the first time we differ! I've found Larceny to be bitter and off tasting on more than one occasion. The double blind in which I gave it the lowest score by far cinched it for me and I haven't gone back to it. In the meantime, I've had multiple excellent barrels of RY10.

That said, I should probably revisit since the palate does shift over longer time spans (in addition to the day to day shifts), and, shifts in flavor profile are also possible, though less likely since I last tried it 15 months ago. 

You are not going to make by a bottle though (like you usually do!). This will be a bar try.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

This might be the first time we differ! I've found Larceny to be bitter and off tasting on more than one occasion. The double blind in which I gave it the lowest score by far cinched it for me and I haven't gone back to it. In the meantime, I've had multiple excellent barrels of RY10.

That said, I should probably revisit since the palate does shift over longer time spans (in addition to the day to day shifts), and, shifts in flavor profile are also possible, though less likely since I last tried it 15 months ago. 

You are not going to make by a bottle though (like you usually do!). This will be a bar try.

It is odd our contrary opinions on this whiskey, considering our similar tastes.   Though I've had several tries from various bottles of RY and had only struck me as pretty average, perhaps I should try again.  I seem to like many of the same things that you, Hops, and Old Dusty like, so there should be something there for me.

I do enjoy the RY10 more then Weller SR or 107, but not more then Weller 12. I haven't bought any since the price increase, the 3 or 4 I have are some good barrels. I will give them high marks for a good age and a good proof.  

On August 19, 2017 at 7:52 PM, smokinjoe said:

I disagree which could be chalked up to the single bottle variation, but the 2  bottles of RY10 were above average to say the least. I was happy to pick up larceny and OFBIB in Wisconsin around 4 months ago and would take Ry10 over either.

On August 22, 2017 at 8:25 PM, LCWoody said:

I do enjoy the RY10 more then Weller SR or 107, but not more then Weller 12. I haven't bought any since the price increase, the 3 or 4 I have are some good barrels. I will give them high marks for a good age and a good proof.  

I agree. 

Just bought my first bottle of the RY10 SB. Tasted it next to the W12 and Blade & Bow NAS and for me the RY was the clear winner, maybe not overwhelmingly so, but I did ptefer it to the other two.

Edited by BourbonDude

5 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I disagree which could be chalked up to the single bottle variation, but the 2  bottles of RY10 were above average to say the least. 

More likely, it's just that we like different things.  

More likely, it's just that we like different things.  

I can attest that Joe likes some weird crap.

Y'all know I'm talking about whiskey, right?

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

I can attest that Joe likes some weird crap.

Y'all know I'm talking about whiskey, right?

For those of us who know Joe, your clarification was necessary :P

For those of us who know Joe, your clarification was necessary [emoji14]

Exactly!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found 6 in San Antonio.  I bought 2 for $45 each before I read this thread and am thinking I should have bought 1 or 2 more for Birthday presents!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.