Rebel Yell 10 Year Single Barrell

Rounderegg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 8/20/2017 at 9:57 AM, Hop said:

I readily admit when I first tried this I wasn't impressed but what I found was that I had an "off palate" night when I first tried it. When I went back to it later I was very impressed and remain that way today. There is variation in the barrels as with any SB product. I went deep last year at lower prices and though I'm not happy with the increase in price I'm about to restock later this month.

For $70 a bottle it's still worth the money and it's not just the retailers moving up the price. The wholesale price went up to very close to what retail was last year.... Blame Luxco for the pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely agree.  I love wheaters and was excited to try this highly acclaimed 10yo.  I purchased a bottle and opened it that night.  If I enjoyed it I was planning and going  back to grab another bottle or two.  My first impression was great nose but, the tase and mouthfeel was lacking.  Seemed a little thin and to disssapate too quickly.  As with most wheaters I thought it could benefit from some air.  It has been napping quietly for anout a month now.  I'll have to give it another go. I hope I experience the same improvment that you did as I was anticipating an excellent dram.   I'll follow up with my thoughts in a few days when I get a chance to sit down with it. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong thread.

Edited by tanstaafl2
Wrong thread

I've had a bottle open for a few months and have sent samples to friends and had a few pours and it's now at about the halfway mark and it seems to have taken on a hugely nutty profile which it didn't have to start. Anyone else find that? Not exactly in a good way either.. quite different from the first few pours.

I reckon Luxco has to find some way to help pay for its new distillery in Bardstown.  :unsure:

Cheers! Joe

My local had the Rebel Yell 10 for 50$. Seeing how most here quite liked it, I decided to take a chance.

Taking it home to open and pour I was stunned to find this barrel must have been a real Honey. Full of complex flavor and viscosity, and incredibly smooth at 100 proof. I did a quick comparison to both a new and old bottling of WL12. The RY made quick work of them both. I pulled out a Parkers #4 and an older WLW. After enjoying neat I then put some dilution to both. I found the Rebel Yell to hold its own pretty well to them both -lagging behind but within spittin' distance.  Not a technical failure but one of degree.  Wowza. 

Incredible value on this barrel. That the only fail was against some of the best Unobtainium was remarkable to this taster. I did go back and snag the last one for the bunker. I don't expect the first bottle to survive out the end of the month. ????

Cheers, and thanks to SB for  an alert to a great pour. 

image.jpg

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had two quick pours off the bottle I snagged today and I'll be looking for more. 

Gonna have Mrs Mako line it up blind against OWA tomorrow night. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.