Does Knob Creek's Bourbon taste differently to you?

dagiarrat
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Before I realized that they had removed their "9 years" statement, I bought a bottle of KC, and immediately noticed that it tasted like a somewhat woodier Bulleit. As in, the taste difference was notable enough that I don't think I'll be buying it again any time soon. Am I just a victim of confirmation bias, or is the new batch just not that good for the price?

Basically, am I just being a snob?

All standard Knob Creek has gone NAS for now.  The private barrel program will still carry the 9 year statement. Ranging from 9 up to 13. Find you a good private barrel & stock up. The flavor generally does change when Age Statement's are removed.

Cheers,

Jeff

Find a store that researches and knows the age of the barrels in their barrel select 120's, and that they have tasted.  Most anything in the 12 - 13 year range is going to be pretty darn good.  

Or go to Costco. In SoCal they just switched back to 9yo age stated on 1.75 bottles after going NAS for a few months. 

In 2008, Beam raised the distillation proof of Knob Creek from 125 to 130. With the removal of the age statement, it's likely that any NAS KC dates from after this distillation proof increase. 

Wild Turkey started doing the same a few years back. We did a private selection with barrels from both sides of that change and the difference was surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I realized that they had removed their "9 years" statement, I bought a bottle of KC, and immediately noticed that it tasted like a somewhat woodier Bulleit. As in, the taste difference was notable enough that I don't think I'll be buying it again any time soon. Am I just a victim of confirmation bias, or is the new batch just not that good for the price?

Basically, am I just being a snob?

I bought a NAS bottle and tried it last week. I found it a little week compared to the original 9 year old, and unable to compete with the Single Barrel or a hand select bottle of 9 year old I have. It just lacks a lot of the flavors that they have, not to mention it drinks like a 80 proof bourbon as apposed to it's 100 proof age statement.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

On 5/13/2017 at 8:41 PM, BigRich said:

Wild Turkey started doing the same a few years back. We did a private selection with barrels from both sides of that change and the difference was surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I remember you posting about that. I've tasted WT8 from either side of that divide and agree that it's markedly different.

I am not sure if it tastes different since going NAS or if my palate has changed, but I am not enjoying this most recent bottle that I purchased.  I used to like it a lot, but not so much anymore.

not trying to stir the pot, but I'm betting that tasted blind, most everyone would not discern a difference.....yet. Beam's not gonna take one of it's flagship bourbons and do an overnight profile change. When I run out of 9 year, I'll buy an NAS, and try it blind myself. By then (Im well stocked), it may be a bit different, but I think it may be a bit better at 8 years than 9, as KC pushed the oak profile a bit much for me.

flame away, I can take it...

I noticed that the regular KC and also the Single Barrel both won double gold medals at the 2017 San Francisco World Spirits competition.

13 hours ago, Martian said:

I noticed that the regular KC and also the Single Barrel both won double gold medals at the 2017 San Francisco World Spirits competition.

Everybody wins a medal in that competition. Don't read too much into it. Go with what you know - your own taste buds.

21 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

not trying to stir the pot, but I'm betting that tasted blind, most everyone would not discern a difference.....yet. Beam's not gonna take one of it's flagship bourbons and do an overnight profile change. When I run out of 9 year, I'll buy an NAS, and try it blind myself. By then (Im well stocked), it may be a bit different, but I think it may be a bit better at 8 years than 9, as KC pushed the oak profile a bit much for me.

flame away, I can take it...

While I liked EC12, I have found that I liked the early EC NAS a little better.  I haven't had one of the new bottles.  I am a fan of KC 9-year so I am hoping the profile remains consistent as a NAS product.

4 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

While I liked EC12, I have found that I liked the early EC NAS a little better.  I haven't had one of the new bottles.  I am a fan of KC 9-year so I am hoping the profile remains consistent as a NAS product.

Havent tried one yet, as EC was too woody for me to start with. I feel it can only get better by going younger. would like to try one of these 8 year barrel selected EC's Ive been reading about on here though!

5 minutes ago, Whiskey Dick said:

Havent tried one yet, as EC was too woody for me to start with. I feel it can only get better by going younger. would like to try one of these 8 year barrel selected EC's Ive been reading about on here though!

I always found EC12 to be woody as well, although I still enjoyed it.  I believe 8-10 years old is my sweet spot.

I like the woodiness of EC12. That's one of the things that made it so distinct if you are into that flavor profile. I think the current EC 1789 NAS is still pretty good, but time will tell. I haven't tried an NAS KC yet since I prefer the KCSiB 120 and have quite a few in the bunker. Hopefully I'll never have to actually experience sub 9 year old KC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am traveling for work and decided to try KC NAS for the first time since it is  on the company dime.   KC 9-year has been a favorite. 

I don't notice much difference.  Of course,  the age statement was just removed.  If anything it might be slightly less woody.

Edited by mbroo5880i

I had a pour last night at a restaurant bar, and I did not see anything that made it noticeably different.  Tasted like I would expect KC to taste.  Of course, regular KC is a staple at airport, hotel, and restaurant bars, and as such is typically a de facto "go to". Which means, I usually ain't payin' a lot of attention...:D  I did give it the most attention I have ever given it this time, and came away with the conclusion that it is good...and, no reason to change my "not at home" practice for now...

My wife and I have been comparing our last bottle of 9 to the NAS stuff for a few months now. While the two are different, it is slight and not bad at all. Still good stuff.

As for Wild Turkey, I think their product is absolute crap now. Brown vodka. Messing with distillation/barrel entry proofs is always a huge gamble. In my opinion, Wild Turkey gambled and lost heavily.

On the flip side, I too love the new NAS Elijah Craig. I think it got significantly better now that the age statement is gone. It's much better balanced.

On 5/29/2017 at 1:15 PM, ethangsmith said:

As for Wild Turkey, I think their product is absolute crap now. Brown vodka. Messing with distillation/barrel entry proofs is always a huge gamble. In my opinion, Wild Turkey gambled and lost heavily.

I don't have a lot to go by, as I haven't drank much WT recently, but the last pour of WT101 I had (earlier this year) was thin, hot, and unenjoyable.  

The next day I had a pour from an older Austin Nichols bottle of 101 and it was like night and day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.