Ron Relicario

DROB
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just started showing up at my Total Wine, a superior and a supremo are available. Decent price point $30-40. Anyone have any experience with it?

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:05 PM, DROB said:

Just started showing up at my Total Wine, a superior and a supremo are available. Decent price point $30-40. Anyone have any experience with it?

Don't know it so no definitive information. Dominican rum is typically from one of the big rum producers known as the "Three B's", Brugal, Barceló and Bermudez. For example Kirk & Sweeney is Bermudez (or at least was) to the best of my knowledge.

I would guess this is some sort of Total Wine special bottling and would be a bit suspicious except that I see it listed on Masters of Malt. So perhaps a relatively new brand being sourced from one of the main distilleries in the Dominican that has been Europe only until now? The website is decidedly unhelpful and seems to show an address location in Spain!

As Bruce pointed out the lack of detail about the source distillery and no actual location and low price point to Dominican bulk rums sold to and bottled by a third party marketer.   Expect a lighter style with added sweetness from either sugar or wines, added color and possibly thickeners.  

In fact they talk about fermenting the "must" which is a grape product used to sweeten rums from central america.

This one sounds like a pass unless your looking for a cheap, sweet, rum flavored vodka like experience. 

Thank you both, my local TW has a good variety of quality Rum so I can stick with the good stuff and leave this for those who prefer that type.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.