Foursquare Criterion

Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Panic might be a bit strong.

That’s fair. Your characterization matches my thinking: you have one chance to buy or not and then it’s gone.

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Does anyone know the bottle count of Foursquare 2004 11 year old?

To my knowledge that number has not been released, unlike some other bottles like Criterion where I believe 2000 were distributed in the US (with more in other locations I presume).

My store just got a few more of the 2004 in so I may need to pick up another bottle or two!

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

To my knowledge that number has not been released, unlike some other bottles like Criterion where I believe 2000 were distributed in the US (with more in other locations I presume).

My store just got a few more of the 2004 in so I may need to pick up another bottle or two!

Yeah Astor just got more as well, glad to see this one still hanging around, one of my favorites for sure.

I love the 2004, and have about 3 or 4 of 'em.

I could see this coming. Foursquare has taken off now, largely due to their being graced by the hand of Gargano with the Velier releases.

I actually expect it to be extremely hard to get their limiteds going forward. Richard deserves it, his products are excellent and his commitment to pure rum is just what the industry needs.

I think I'm going to have to buy a few 12 cases of the export strength RLS10 (46% instead of 43%) before things get stupid (because they WILL get stupid!), because that's my bajan cocktail rum of choice.

On the Criterion issue, I think I'll leave this one to the rabid masses and focus on other places where they're not looking.

A few years ago I remember thinking "I can't wait until Richard gets something up to 15-20yrs+". I don't think there's much chance of that now that 4S looks like it's going to be the new 4R. But in the long run, when this spirits boom subsides, hopefully he will have expanded enough to get there eventually.

I got to taste Criterion last night when I went to pick up some bottles from a local store. The store owner had a bottle open and a pour already in the glass, and offered me a sip. It's difficult to make a full assessment based on one small taste, but I was pretty impressed. Very rich, nutty, and interesting. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it.

On 8/12/2017 at 0:57 PM, The Black Tot said:

I think I'm going to have to buy a few 12 cases of the export strength RLS10 (46% instead of 43%) before things get stupid (because they WILL get stupid!), because that's my bajan cocktail rum of choice.

Is this 46% version fairly widely available outside the US, or are there only specific places you can find it? I think you're right that it's time to bunker some of our favorite FS before they go the way of the Weller, and 46% RLS10 sounds delightful.

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Is this 46% version fairly widely available outside the US, or are there only specific places you can find it? I think you're right that it's time to bunker some of our favorite FS before they go the way of the Weller, and 46% RLS10 sounds delightful.

Total Wine only as far as I know.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Total Wine only as far as I know.

Kevin, the 46% is available in the US? I thought the US got 43% and Europe is getting the "Export Strength" 46%

Kpiz, I'm buying it in England and I'd imagine France has it too, outside of that I don't have any experience.

11 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Kevin, the 46% is available in the US? I thought the US got 43% and Europe is getting the "Export Strength" 46%

Kpiz, I'm buying it in England and I'd imagine France has it too, outside of that I don't have any experience.

Failure in reading comprehension. 

23 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Failure in reading comprehension. 

In fairness to you the name of the product isn't particularly helpful. Anything other than Barbados is "Export" for 4S...but that's not how it's working in the US.

Notes on FS Criterion - Drinks big and juicy and spicy with just the right amount of heat and wood. Long finish with heat and wood and fruit. Satisfying, complex and delightful.

Not typically a fan of spirits with wine notes but in this case the blend of Rum aged in ex Bourbon and ex Madeira barrels creates a Rum with the Madeira notes ghosting very very subtly against the base spirit. You have to work to detect it, but it's presence adds a depth that is appreciated.

This is a Rum that pulls up a chair at the adult table.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! I'm new to SB, but not new to rum and Barbadian rums have always been my favorites. While I'm certainly a FS fanboy, it's because everything they put out is of quality. Back on topic, Criterion is a beautiful full balanced spirit that 3/4  of the way through my first bottle, I'm still finding subtle little nuances. The 2004  is the pinnacle, but this is right at that level too. FWIW, I got it from TWCP also ($76.99)

Edited by Nomad

• 3 weeks later...

Bought one yesterday, but what does it mean exactly that this is "one of 2000 bottles?" In the US? Multiple batched releases of Mark V? Or is this truly that unique? Doesn't seem realistic to find one on the shelf by chance like I did.

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

Bought one yesterday, but what does it mean exactly that this is "one of 2000 bottles?" In the US? Multiple batched releases of Mark V? Or is this truly that unique? Doesn't seem realistic to find one on the shelf by chance like I did.

I believe there were 2000 bottles for the US and 2000 for Europe, so you should feel fortunate to have snagged one! While 2000 bottles is very limited compared to most bourbon special releases, I think the demand for premium rums is still growing in the US and not quite at the point where something like this will sell out instantly at $80/bottle. It's getting there fast, however, as K&L here in CA sold out of their relatively large allocation within a couple hours. Another store here told me that all of Northern California was allocated 12 6-bottle cases. I'm guessing the next FS special release, if it's the same size, will be much more difficult to obtain. Your ability to find a stray bottle on a liquor store shelf may also be a product of the differences in how bourbon special releases are allocated versus rum special releases. I'm speculating here, but my bet is that the store you patronized didn't have to buy 10 cases of vodka they didn't want in order to get that bottle of Criterion.

Thanks for the info. I guess I was really lucky then, finding this out in the open, quite literally collecting dust, at a busy spot in metro Boston. I actually had to pay a ~$10 mark up, but it was acceptable for me in this instance.

On an unrelated note, I had a lot of lucky encounters at this LS in the past too. The most memorable one being two bottles of Booker's 25th Anniversary at retail. At the time I didn't know anything about it, and I remember passing them and complaining to my buddy how Beam is trying to milk customers by releasing a standard bourbon in fancy packaging. I probably lost all my credibility on that day, if I had a time machine I'd now go and punch past Kane in the face.

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks for the info. I guess I was really lucky then, finding this out in the open, quite literally collecting dust, at a busy spot in metro Boston. I actually had to pay a ~$10 mark up, but it was acceptable for me in this instance.

On an unrelated note, I had a lot of lucky encounters at this LS in the past too. The most memorable one being two bottles of Booker's 25th Anniversary at retail. At the time I didn't know anything about it, and I remember passing them and complaining to my buddy how Beam is trying to milk customers by releasing a standard bourbon in fancy packaging. I probably lost all my credibility on that day, if I had a time machine I'd now go and punch past Kane in the face.

It hasn't even dropped in NY yet, I bought mine online from one of the usual suspect Rum stores two months ago, there are only a few really good ones that ship to NJ. Point being not much dust really could have gathered based on when distribution hit MA.

6 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Point being not much dust really could have gathered based on when distribution hit MA.

Don't know about distribution, but I know I had to wipe the bottle with a wet cloth :)

Just now, Kane said:

Don't know about distribution, but I know I had to wipe the bottle with a wet cloth :)

Must be a dusty store!

On 9/13/2017 at 3:15 PM, kevinbrink said:

It hasn't even dropped in NY yet, I bought mine online from one of the usual suspect Rum stores two months ago, there are only a few really good ones that ship to NJ. Point being not much dust really could have gathered based on when distribution hit MA.

I talked to the store manager today, said they put my bottle on the shelf on July 21st, and tweeted with a pic too. Nobody wanted it in near 2 months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Times in CA just got a good amount of the Criterion in.  I'm surprised they got it at this point, I thought it would have all been long gone and only on the secondary by now but there it is, in stock.  I ordered another as a backup so I can now freely enjoy the bottle I have been slowly enjoying.  Fortunately Hi Times still ships to a good number of states.

https://www.hitimewine.net/foursquare-rum-criterion-112pf-750-1bt-limit-single-blend-10yr-2017-111837

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 12:36 PM, NightCru said:

Hi Times in CA just got a good amount of the Criterion in.  I'm surprised they got it at this point, I thought it would have all been long gone and only on the secondary by now but there it is, in stock.  I ordered another as a backup so I can now freely enjoy the bottle I have been slowly enjoying.  Fortunately Hi Times still ships to a good number of states.

https://www.hitimewine.net/foursquare-rum-criterion-112pf-750-1bt-limit-single-blend-10yr-2017-111837

Thanks for the heads up. I almost bought one but figured that K&L might get another allocation as well...so far no dice.

This from Richard Seale regarding number of bottles of 2004 :

"12,000 for the U.S. - it is nearly all shipped but will still take time to deplete all inventory. 2005 is already vatted and will follow."

2005 will be the same proof as 2004

• 6 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.