Bourbon to Rum

Bbstout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry as this is related to rum but I wanted to post here as it would get more eyes. Many years ago I was into rum but once I found Bourbon I stopped acquiring bottles as the sweetness started to turn me off as my palate became more evolved. I have come to the point where I am comfortable with my stash of age stated bourbon bottles and am tired of the chasing and inflating prices. I recently read an article that rum is getting popular again and I would like to get some nice bottles before there is a Rum Pappy craze, Anyone know of some older age stated Rum on the drier side at a good price?

I don't but The Black Tot is also into rum.  You might want to PM him for some suggestions.

You're right.  This is in the wrong forum.  There is an informative, lively, and consistent discussion about all things rum...in the rum forum.  Your post there will get the necessary looks from some very knowledgeable members who can help steer you as you navigate into the next big spirits craze.  

There's a Smooth Ambler rum that's about 24 years old for under $60,  It came out awhile ago, but can still be found around Chicago (Binny's) so you may have some luck in your parts.  It's a great deal and pretty good, although I'm a rum noob

IMG_0733.JPG

Thanks JVD. Was it sweet? Part of my move to Bourbon was when I found out that Rum had additives that could be artificial and many had extra sugar added. I wonder where they source this from?

30 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Thanks JVD. Was it sweet? Part of my move to Bourbon was when I found out that Rum had additives that could be artificial and many had extra sugar added. I wonder where they source this from?

Although it doesn't have its own topic the Revelation Rum (which comes from Jamaica) is mentioned several times in the Rum Forum. Which is a really, really good place to discuss rum...

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Although it doesn't have its own topic the Revelation Rum (which comes from Jamaica) is mentioned several times in the Rum Forum. Which is a really, really good place to discuss rum...

Sorry guys...Could a Mod please move this. Thanks.

Yeah I'm sure this will get moved but you could also read through the thread I started for some initial recommendations. I think the quality you can get for around $20-$30 for Bajan and Jamaican Rums is pretty astounding. If you have a Total Wine in your area pick up some Doorly's and some Seale's really great pours for the $$$. Appleton 12 for the price I see $26-$30 is also pretty fantastic. I say start at that price range and work your way up, if you want higher proof grab a Plantation OFTD or some Smith and Cross before splurging for something.  That being said the next things on my radar are the Smooth Ambler Revelation, Hamilton Cask Stregnth St Lucia and Barrell Rum.

10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Yeah I'm sure this will get moved but you could also read through the thread I started for some initial recommendations. I think the quality you can get for around $20-$30 for Bajan and Jamaican Rums is pretty astounding. If you have a Total Wine in your area pick up some Doorly's and some Seale's really great pours for the $$$. Appleton 12 for the price I see $26-$30 is also pretty fantastic. I say start at that price range and work your way up, if you want higher proof grab a Plantation OFTD or some Smith and Cross before splurging for something.  That being said the next things on my radar are the Smooth Ambler Revelation, Hamilton Cask Stregnth St Lucia and Barrell Rum.

The Hamilton St. Lucia CS and Barrel CS rums are pretty much out in the super funk range and not really even that much whiskey like. Best saved for exploration once you have tried some of the other rums noted above!

And of course we haven't even gotten to the deliciousness that is rhum agricole!

7 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The Hamilton St. Lucia CS and Barrel CS rums are pretty much out in the super funk range and not really even that much whiskey like. Best saved for exploration once you have tried some of the other rums noted above!

And of course we haven't even gotten to the deliciousness that is rhum agricole!

Yeah interestingly I think the whole Rum funk thing is really in my wheelhouse, I suspect that my pallet was primed for it after years of drinking Belgian beer. It probably doesn't hurt that I've always been a consumer of Jamaican Rum either.  I am starting to think about picking up some agricole, the closest I have ventured is Barbancourt which I understand is a different beast. 

The Smooth Ambler is great if you can get it. I'm also really recently enjoying the K&L Faultline 17 y/o Caribbean Rum, I wasn't expecting it to have much funk, but it really does. Finally, I'm quite liking the Mezan Guyana 2005 (though I wish it was offered at a higher proof). Finally, anything you can get from Foursquare in Barbados. I haven't had any of the cask finished rums I don't like. I'm really enjoying the 12 y/o and the XO is one of the best value sippers out there.

• 2 months later...

I just had R.L Seale 10yr. I really liked it. I have heard good things about Foursquare rums as well but haven't come across any.

3 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I just had R.L Seale 10yr. I really liked it. I have heard good things about Foursquare rums as well but haven't come across any.

RL Seale is a Foursquare product, so you've tried at least one! Glad to hear you liked it.

If you want more Foursquare, check out Total Wine as Keninbrink mentioned earlier in this thread. I think they're the only ones who carry the RL Seale and Doorly range (both Foursquare). Doorly's 12 is really good but very fruity and comes across as sweeter than the RL Seale due to some wine cask aging. Looks like the TW in Roseville, MN has it in stock, and the Seale as well.

3 hours ago, Kpiz said:

RL Seale is a Foursquare product, so you've tried at least one! Glad to hear you liked it.

If you want more Foursquare, check out Total Wine as Keninbrink mentioned earlier in this thread. I think they're the only ones who carry the RL Seale and Doorly range (both Foursquare). Doorly's 12 is really good but very fruity and comes across as sweeter than the RL Seale due to some wine cask aging. Looks like the TW in Roseville, MN has it in stock, and the Seale as well.

Total Wine is flush with Four Square beyond those mentioned at the lower end there are also Old Brigand and Alleyne Arthur. Probably some others too, the 896 8 yr and 6yrs are both Barbados but I'm not sure of the distillery.

11 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I tried the doorlys 12 as well and as you mentioned came off as sweeter. Liked it but the rl seale was better to me. I'd love to come across a foursquare 2004 as the sample I had was really good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.